Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What is your preferred payment method?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 10, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your preferred payment method?".

This poll was originally submitted by tilakahuja. View the poll results »

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 13:13
German to English
+ ...
Well of course Apr 10, 2015

cash would be the preferred method, out of the eyes of the taxman, but unfortunately none of my clients would ever entertain that suggestion!!! (and it would be difficult travelling around collecting the grubby banknotes from agencies and clients around Germany and Europe)

Châu Nguyễn
Châu Nguyễn  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 18:13
Member (2012)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Why not paypal Apr 10, 2015

David Wright wrote:

cash would be the preferred method, out of the eyes of the taxman, but unfortunately none of my clients would ever entertain that suggestion!!! (and it would be difficult travelling around collecting the grubby banknotes from agencies and clients around Germany and Europe)

This can be done using Paypal i admit that Paypal's exchange rate is cut-throat and there are several fees for receiving and sending money to my bank account. But it is out of sight of the taxman so it works out well enough for me. I use it as a oversea saving account (sadly without interest )

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Not in Europe Apr 10, 2015

Châu Nguyễn wrote:

This can be done using Paypal .......... it is out of sight of the taxman so it works out well enough for me. I use it as a oversea saving account (sadly without interest )

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:13
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Bank transfer Apr 10, 2015

I only accept payments via bank transfer, it's fast, easy, secure and free (within EU).

I worked for many years as a sworn translator and by then I also accepted cash.

P.S. This question has been asked several times before, last time on 19Jul2014 by the same person....

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...

And PayPal without fees.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Checks Apr 10, 2015

I have a U.S. based client that insists on paying with paper checks sent by snail mail. I have them send them directly to my bank in the U.S. since I live in Europe.

Americans still don´t use the bank transfer method much. Anyone know why?

Karin Hinsch
Karin Hinsch  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to German
+ ...

Cash and PayPal without fees.

Vera Wilson
Vera Wilson  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Black truffles Apr 10, 2015

It really depends - I pay no banking charges for a French check in France, however checks from this American agency per snail mail attract bank and conversion fees, which definitely takes the cream off the payment.
Generally speaking, I guess it's Paypal.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English

On a study break at the moment, but when I'm back, then bank transfer, almost exclusively. Once it's on the account, it's on the account. Traceable , findable, explainable.

Business structures don't use Paypal (at least not in my experience) so next to no chance of that option in France anyway.

Cheques have been known to bounce and they take time to be credited. Overeas cheques? No thanks. Generally take eons to be credited and are extremely expensive in handling and
... See more
On a study break at the moment, but when I'm back, then bank transfer, almost exclusively. Once it's on the account, it's on the account. Traceable , findable, explainable.

Business structures don't use Paypal (at least not in my experience) so next to no chance of that option in France anyway.

Cheques have been known to bounce and they take time to be credited. Overeas cheques? No thanks. Generally take eons to be credited and are extremely expensive in handling and thus in fees. And if an overseas cheque bounces...

[Edited at 2015-04-10 17:03 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Banbk transfer Apr 10, 2015

Although as I live outside the Eurozone and so do most of my clients, I have to put up with some bank charges.

Not many, however. I invoice one client quarterly, as he tends to send numerous small jobs, but he pays instantly on receiving the invoice - and he also pays the bank charges.

With bank accounts in the UK and Denmark, most payments are free - and since the tax man can see them, I can pay my dues
... See more
Although as I live outside the Eurozone and so do most of my clients, I have to put up with some bank charges.

Not many, however. I invoice one client quarterly, as he tends to send numerous small jobs, but he pays instantly on receiving the invoice - and he also pays the bank charges.

With bank accounts in the UK and Denmark, most payments are free - and since the tax man can see them, I can pay my dues and stay out of trouble. Woe betide anyone the Danish authorities suspect of tax dodging or other irregularities!
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:13
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why Americans don't like wire transfers Apr 10, 2015

Because the banks charge outrageous fees.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Based on all the job offers I get via ProZ... Apr 10, 2015

... surely there should've been the option "Peanuts"?

David Earl
David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:13
German to English
Checks in the US Apr 10, 2015

Edward Potter wrote:

I have a U.S. based client that insists on paying with paper checks sent by snail mail. I have them send them directly to my bank in the U.S. since I live in Europe.

Americans still don´t use the bank transfer method much. Anyone know why?

It's been a while since I've transferred to my US account by wire, but the fees include the usual exchange rate fees (charged by the handling bank) as well as a fee of USD 20 for receiving each transfer (charged by the receiving bank, US West). A set of 200 checks used to cost about USD 25 or less, depending on the printer used. (I haven't had new checks printed since arriving in Germany in '99, so "mileage may vary (a lot)".)

David.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
* Apr 10, 2015

David Earl wrote:

A set of 200 checks used to cost about USD 25 or less, depending on the printer used. (I haven't had new checks printed since arriving in Germany in '99, so "mileage may vary (a lot)".)

David.

Just out of curiosity David, I don't understand what you mean when you say that 200 checks costs around USD25. In my experience, UK and France, cheques are free of charge. Are you saying that the last time you had a chequebook you paid USD25 for the privilege?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your preferred payment method?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »