Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you ever work overnight in order to meet a deadline?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Paulo Celestino Guimaraes
Paulo Celestino Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I support that very strongly but I try to avoid it Apr 8, 2015

Ensey wrote:

i think to work overnight occasionally should be quite ordinary as translators are not only serving local companies but also clients in other countries. also, we might need to meet tight deadline from time to time.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, I like rush jobs. Apr 8, 2015

My nights are quiet and peaceful, and I can get a lot done without interruption. It's a little more taxing, sure, but I only need one or two projects a week to meet my needs.

Anna Grynfeld Smith
Anna Grynfeld Smith
Switzerland
Local time: 04:50
English to Swedish
No, I like to sleep on it. Apr 8, 2015

I rarely do rush jobs, unless they are small (a few hours work). For bigger projects I often ask for an extended deadline (1-2 days extra) rather than working late. Sleeping on it always helps. I've found that most clients agree to stretch the deadline if you ask nicely and point out that you need more time in order to deliver quality work.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I did it last night Apr 9, 2015

I was working too hard to take time to answer this poll question.

I don't think my quality suffers, but my health does. My asthma is always worse after I pull an all-nighter.

I'd say I do it about once every three or four months, so I answered 'occasionally'.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
On very rare occasions Apr 9, 2015

Last month I had to pull a tough all-nighter to meet a deadline for a very good and regular client of mine. I hadn't done that in years since my early days in New York City.

My current modus operandi is to avoid rush jobs altogether and translate at a slower pace, and sleep plenty of hours. That way, my brain is always energized and running at capacity when I need it.

Dani Karuniawan
Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 09:50
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Significant higher rate, why not? Apr 9, 2015

Overtime rate is 150%-500% higher than regular rate. It is a reason why I frequently work overtime until 2-3 am.
I don't accept overtime work at normal rate.

[Edited at 2015-04-09 03:44 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 04:50
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Not if I can avoid it Apr 9, 2015

I don't work overnight any more.
My brain SLEEPS between 4 am and 8 or 9 or so, depending on when I go to bed, and I can manage a single night (or early morning) with just those few hours' sleep.

It usually costs a migraine attack if I push it like that, and quality definitely suffers, but I work best late in the day, and sometimes late into the night.

I strongly prefer to work until 2 am and get a job off... rather than trying to wake up at 6 or 7 and send it!... See more
I don't work overnight any more.
My brain SLEEPS between 4 am and 8 or 9 or so, depending on when I go to bed, and I can manage a single night (or early morning) with just those few hours' sleep.

It usually costs a migraine attack if I push it like that, and quality definitely suffers, but I work best late in the day, and sometimes late into the night.

I strongly prefer to work until 2 am and get a job off... rather than trying to wake up at 6 or 7 and send it!

Most of my clients are in Europe or the UK, so the time zones are the same as mine.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever work overnight in order to meet a deadline?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »