Poll: Do you have a backup or spare computer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 7, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a backup or spare computer?".

This poll was originally submitted by Anne-Sophie Cardinal. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:00
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes, Apr 7, 2015

a couple with identical settings / programs - just in case.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 23:00
Turkish to English
+ ...
One Apr 7, 2015

Yes, I have one old computer stashed away in a cupboard, just in case. A few years ago I was working on a rush job over the weekend and my computer crashed, so I had to call on the spare one.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:00
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Apr 7, 2015

2 PCs (one in Brussels, the other one in Lisbon, remotely connected through GoToMyPC) + 2 laptops (a new one + an old one hidden away somewhere)

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:00
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Plenty of spare parts Apr 7, 2015

My desktop stands with the case wide open. A power screwdriver is at arm's reach, and I have plenty of parts around, still in working condition, so it's a matter of minutes to get it back to life.

I have an old SCSI scanner, a real speed demon, of the kind they don't make any more. However the last driver for it is compatible with Windows 98, and no later. Once I got a 400-page book to translate... in hard copy! It took me about three hours to gather the necessary 'junk', assemble a
... See more
My desktop stands with the case wide open. A power screwdriver is at arm's reach, and I have plenty of parts around, still in working condition, so it's a matter of minutes to get it back to life.

I have an old SCSI scanner, a real speed demon, of the kind they don't make any more. However the last driver for it is compatible with Windows 98, and no later. Once I got a 400-page book to translate... in hard copy! It took me about three hours to gather the necessary 'junk', assemble a Pentium I - 233 MHz, install Win 98 and the scanner driver, and scan it entirely. Did OCR with my main computer, of course.
Collapse

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:00
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes ... Apr 7, 2015

I have two main computers (desktop and laptop) and also a spare laptop.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes Apr 7, 2015

2 + 2 extra printers. I have learned the hard way.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:00
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just 1 extra Apr 7, 2015

It's rather old and not terribly functional. I intend to fix one that needs a new hard drive so I'll have a decent back.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, more than one Apr 7, 2015

Apart from my main PC, I have another desktop running W7 and Office 2010. I also have one laptop with W7 and Office 2013 recently installed - all in English, and another laptop running W7 and Office 2010 - all in Spanish. I originally bought the latter for a colleague to use instead of her Mac due to compatibility issues (and to save her lugging her own about) when collaborating with me, and most of the time I just use it linked up to the TV for entertainment purposes. This morning we used it to... See more
Apart from my main PC, I have another desktop running W7 and Office 2010. I also have one laptop with W7 and Office 2013 recently installed - all in English, and another laptop running W7 and Office 2010 - all in Spanish. I originally bought the latter for a colleague to use instead of her Mac due to compatibility issues (and to save her lugging her own about) when collaborating with me, and most of the time I just use it linked up to the TV for entertainment purposes. This morning we used it to check some things in PoEdit, which has no spellcheck function AFAIK...

And backup PC is currently working as a radio player (BBC 6 Music) providing background music from the spare room....

[Edited at 2015-04-07 10:35 GMT]
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 20:00
Japanese to English
Chose 'Other' Apr 7, 2015

I had a desktop with a laptop as backup, but the desktop died recently leaving the backup as the main.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Do diversify! Or malapropos! Apr 7, 2015

Not long ago I naively though that a decent UPS, a shared network resources, an extra RAID-storage, and regular backups would do... Nothing of the kind!

As it turns out, a minor 'timely' hardware conflict and a software issue--let alone a dedicated malware--can easily make a big job poof.

Indeed, now I have an extra LED-printer too)

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Printers Apr 8, 2015

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

2 + 2 extra printers. I have learned the hard way.

I have one deskjet printer (color), one black & white laser printer and one color laser printer

Am I obsessed or what?

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
A spare computer...or a computer you could spare? Apr 8, 2015

How easy it would be to change the question's meaning.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:30
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Redundancy is a must in our business Apr 8, 2015

I have two desktops, several laptops and tablets, and a couple of smart phones. I have also pushed crucial files such as TMs, TranslationOffice backups and termbases into the cloud from where I can access them on any of my devices.

These have proved to be a life saver on several occasions.

I also have a paid (through the nose) service contract for my computers, as I have no alter ego like Jose as a hardware geek. The service provider is under strict instructions to atte
... See more
I have two desktops, several laptops and tablets, and a couple of smart phones. I have also pushed crucial files such as TMs, TranslationOffice backups and termbases into the cloud from where I can access them on any of my devices.

These have proved to be a life saver on several occasions.

I also have a paid (through the nose) service contract for my computers, as I have no alter ego like Jose as a hardware geek. The service provider is under strict instructions to attend to SOS calls within 24 hours and is kept under threat of instant termination of contract if he fails to comply.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a backup or spare computer?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »