Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you listen to music while translating?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 28, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you listen to music while translating?".

This poll was originally submitted by Pradeep Neupane. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 18:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, often Mar 28, 2015

However, I'm not really "listening" per se, I just like to have some quiet background noise. Usually it's just BBC 6 Music or the local Spanish Radio 3, although at certain times the latter gets too talky, which is a distraction.

I occasionally prefer silence, but not often, as I can find that distracting too.

Alexandranow
Alexandranow  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 19:54
Romanian to English
+ ...
at times Mar 28, 2015

Listening to new age music.....relaxing

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:54
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Mar 28, 2015

I need some background noise, but I just find that music interferes with my ability to focus on my work. My TV is always on though, except when I'm revising my work or proofreading others' work: I press the mute key!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Same as before Mar 28, 2015

As I've stated in the 1 or 2 previous questions of the same topic, I sometimes listen to music while translating. However, only when the music has no impact on the translation.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:54
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Depends if hubby wants to make any Mar 28, 2015

If you're married to a musician you don't always get a choice but I wouldn't want to shut him up anyway, except perhaps when he's trying to get a particularly hard riff sorted (when he sounds like scratched vinyl).

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 19:54
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Bitter sweet Mar 28, 2015

Only if I need it to cover other noises (TV, conversations, generators "since we have long power outages here"). But it must be without lyrics, otherwise I can't spell my own words.
And it has to be familiar! I always listen to the same collection of music pieces, usually by Yanni.

[Edited at 2015-03-28 13:33 GMT]

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
no day without him Mar 28, 2015

I am a huge fan of Robin Gibb.

Maybe it seems crazy but I can listen him loudly and in a same time translating from and into a total different languages.

I wanted to be a singer and played piano in my youth. I have a huge inspiring classic and jazz collection.
If I am sad, my Rod Stewart jazz collection always here to put a smile on my face.

But during my night work just Robin and nobody else.

[Módosítva: 2015-03-28 14:56 GMT]

... See more
I am a huge fan of Robin Gibb.

Maybe it seems crazy but I can listen him loudly and in a same time translating from and into a total different languages.

I wanted to be a singer and played piano in my youth. I have a huge inspiring classic and jazz collection.
If I am sad, my Rod Stewart jazz collection always here to put a smile on my face.

But during my night work just Robin and nobody else.

[Módosítva: 2015-03-28 14:56 GMT]

[Módosítva: 2015-03-28 16:44 GMT]
Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yanni Mar 28, 2015

Noura Tawil wrote:

Only if I need it to cover other noises (TV, conversations, generators "since we have long power outages here"). But it must be without lyrics, otherwise I can't spell my own words.
And it has to be familiar! I always listen to the same collection of music pieces, usually by Yanni.

[Edited at 2015-03-28 13:33 GMT]

I offer you a nice Yanni CD brought from the US in 2002 - if not too expensive I can send it to you.

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm a melomaniac!!!!! Mar 28, 2015

I ALWAYS listen to music while working, unless I'm interpreting, of course

If there's a part that requires special concentration for the sake of creativity, I pause the music and resume when I'm done. I use AIMP, and it has a hotkey combination that allows me to pause and resume at any time without looking away from my main window.

[Edited at 2015-03-28 15:24 GMT]

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 28, 2015

I'm still working on this year's YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgAqFoQC3_lP91_f-9QdRfkElqHF1jZwR

I like punk and alternative rock, though I'm starting to like dubstep, specifically Skrillex, for translation work.

L. Clark Gillette
L. Clark Gillette  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:54
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
Agree with Noura -nothing with lyrics or speaking Mar 28, 2015

I can never listen to any music or anything else with lyrics or speaking. Can't concentrate on what I'm writing at all. I prefer absolute silence if I can get it! I very often use earplugs, but sometimes listen to new age music or recorded nature sounds to drown out other noise if necessary.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Noisli Mar 28, 2015

I find listening to music too distracting ... I only listen to it if I'm doing some really mundane task that doesn't require much concentration.

My new favourite is Noisli - well worth checking out if you haven't already. Nature sounds - birds, wind, ocean and many others. And it's free!! You can mix and match the various sounds and volumes to create your perfect environment.
<
... See more
I find listening to music too distracting ... I only listen to it if I'm doing some really mundane task that doesn't require much concentration.

My new favourite is Noisli - well worth checking out if you haven't already. Nature sounds - birds, wind, ocean and many others. And it's free!! You can mix and match the various sounds and volumes to create your perfect environment.

http://www.noisli.com/
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:54
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No! Mar 28, 2015

Language has its own rhythm, which for me is essential to the meaning (the subject of my doctoral dissertation). The beat of the music keeps me from feeling the rhythm of the text.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:54
French to Spanish
+ ...
No. Mar 29, 2015

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

Language has its own rhythm, which for me is essential to the meaning (the subject of my doctoral dissertation). The beat of the music keeps me from feeling the rhythm of the text.

Same here.
When I was younger, music was essential in my life.
It is still, but not at work.
I need absolut silence: no talking on my back, no phone calls, no human nor animal presence.
100% concentration, that is.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you listen to music while translating?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »