Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever felt that your client's negative feedback about your work was unjustified?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:48
Hebrew to English
WTF Mar 20, 2015

LilianNekipelov wrote:
the client did not believe that her husband was not talking about killing her, on the tape.

The client did not believe that her husband was NOT talking about killing her? Was he supposed to be plotting her demise?

Interesting clients you seem to have, by the way.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
The joys of self-criticism Mar 20, 2015

...shouldn't include these painful existential question.

Moving on.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:48
German to English
+ ...
the case of the vanished Umlauts Mar 21, 2015

Some years ago I translated a German document into English. There were proper names with Umlauts that had to stay as is, and I translated accordingly. Along the way the PM of the agency opened my translation, but since they had a very old version of Word, that version could not handle my fonts. My translation got modified, the Umlauts turned into funny looking squares, and that is what the client received. Client told the agency "That person is no translator. Your translator can't even writ... See more
Some years ago I translated a German document into English. There were proper names with Umlauts that had to stay as is, and I translated accordingly. Along the way the PM of the agency opened my translation, but since they had a very old version of Word, that version could not handle my fonts. My translation got modified, the Umlauts turned into funny looking squares, and that is what the client received. Client told the agency "That person is no translator. Your translator can't even write a word that has an Umlaut in it!"Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:18
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The client actually doesn't enter the picture Mar 21, 2015

There haven't been many occasions when this has happened, but such feedback does not trouble me, mainly because the people giving the negative feedback have such poor command over Hindi, my main working language, that it has been quite easy for me to establish that their feedback could be easily disregarded.

The main issue is the impression that such malicious feedback leaves on your client who knows no Hindi (or whatever your working language is) and therefore does not know what to
... See more
There haven't been many occasions when this has happened, but such feedback does not trouble me, mainly because the people giving the negative feedback have such poor command over Hindi, my main working language, that it has been quite easy for me to establish that their feedback could be easily disregarded.

The main issue is the impression that such malicious feedback leaves on your client who knows no Hindi (or whatever your working language is) and therefore does not know what to make of the feedback as he himself/herself cannot evaluate it. I suspect that in most cases, such feedback, even if it is completely unjustified, leaves a psychological negative impact on your client about you, which is hard to combat.

Fortunately for me, my own clients have reposed greater faith in my own abilities as a translator than in those of who send these ill-informed, baseless feedback for whatever reason, and my working relations have not been affected in any way.

In any case, I vigorously defend my position and try my best to correct the damage done by such feedback, which I suppose is the least that anyone can do.

[Edited at 2015-03-21 03:01 GMT]
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:48
English to Polish
+ ...
... Mar 22, 2015

Pretty often. But that doesn't upset me nearly as much as a professional translation agency relaying that sort of thing without comment.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever felt that your client's negative feedback about your work was unjustified?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »