Poll: With time, have you had fewer new clients compared to regular ones?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 1, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "With time, have you had fewer new clients compared to regular ones?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mariam Osmann. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:17
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Mar 1, 2015

By the very nature of things (one cannot expand infinitely) and by choice! Over the years (I started in 1985), I have managed to build up a solid client base. I am always interested in expanding my clientele but within reason. Most of my new clients have come either by word of mouth or through ProZ.com since I became a member in 2007.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 17:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 1, 2015

In the past 2 or 3 years I've been too busy to accept most overtures from new clients. In fact, the last one I accepted grudgingly, and only because a long-standing regular direct client had recommended me to them. It's a university department from an institution where I already have two clients, although the recommendation was from a non-academic source. I was reluctant because the first time I billed this university they made me submit a certificate from Hacienda to prove that I was up to date... See more
In the past 2 or 3 years I've been too busy to accept most overtures from new clients. In fact, the last one I accepted grudgingly, and only because a long-standing regular direct client had recommended me to them. It's a university department from an institution where I already have two clients, although the recommendation was from a non-academic source. I was reluctant because the first time I billed this university they made me submit a certificate from Hacienda to prove that I was up to date with my payments. This cost me two trips into the city to stand in line to get the certificate, meaning that I lost several hours of working time. Then, the next time I went to bill them they asked me to submit the same form again, upon which I lost the plot and told them to... ahem... where they could stick it. Eventually they got back to me and said I didn't need to submit it again, as "they already had a file open for me".

I've even refused a few offers of text revision lately, because the agency in question expects me to note down a comment or justification for just about every change I make to the text, and frankly life's just too short.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:17
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Regulars have a naturally regular demand Mar 1, 2015

Regular clients always need translation in one way or another. Apart from translation agencies who need them all the time, there may be publishers, video distributors, international traders, etc.

As a sworn translator, I have a never-ending inflow of once-in-a-lifetime clients, who need a number of documents translated to settle a specific situation. They are moving in, moving out, settling some deceased relative's estate, submitting evidence in a lawsuit, getting married, getting d
... See more
Regular clients always need translation in one way or another. Apart from translation agencies who need them all the time, there may be publishers, video distributors, international traders, etc.

As a sworn translator, I have a never-ending inflow of once-in-a-lifetime clients, who need a number of documents translated to settle a specific situation. They are moving in, moving out, settling some deceased relative's estate, submitting evidence in a lawsuit, getting married, getting divorced, and so on. Some will return years later when they have another such situation, others will simply move on.
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:17
English to Russian
+ ...
Meaningless question Mar 1, 2015

Given enough time, new clients will always outnumber regular ones.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
The meaning of questions Mar 1, 2015

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

Given enough time, new clients will always outnumber regular ones.

Not necessarily. Old or new, clients are not relatives or long-time friends.

As for the question itself, yes, it is meaningless, as it is often the case with yes/no questions, which come from a mind with little or no imagination.

[Edited at 2015-03-01 18:48 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:17
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Of course Mar 3, 2015

I get frequent inquiries from potential new clients, but I'm almost always committed to my regular clients. I rarely have space to squeeze them in.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: With time, have you had fewer new clients compared to regular ones?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »