Poll: Do you attend online training sessions or webinars?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 20, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you attend online training sessions or webinars?".

This poll was originally submitted by M. Laut. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 02:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Feb 20, 2015

I've thought about it once or twice, but am always too busy working.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:28
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Feb 20, 2015

Same reason as Neil. I don't have much time for that kind of thing - but it sounds harsh to say that I'm not interested, so I said 'other'.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Feb 20, 2015

I can't see what they could possibly teach me.

Well, maybe modesty

But seriously, 20 years in, niche subjects, obscure languages, what could be out there for me?

I suppose I could get better at using CAT tools, but I don't see a need and I don't want to.

It does also seem a very awkward/slow learning format.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, Feb 20, 2015

And most of them have been interesting and helpful

Deirdre Brophy (X)
Deirdre Brophy (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to Irish
+ ...
Once or twice Feb 20, 2015

And what a waste of time and money they were...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:28
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ditto! Feb 20, 2015

neilmac wrote:

I've thought about it once or twice, but am always too busy working.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:28
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Other Feb 20, 2015

I'm not averse to them. It's just that after 30+ years of translating, are there any training sessions or webinars that would be actually useful or relevant to me? They are, after all, intended for the less experienced.

So saying, however, I would jump at the chance of a factory visit. As a technical translator, this is the best way to learn, getting your hands greasy and grubby.

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:28
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Once or twice... Feb 20, 2015

...and I didn't like any of them.

A paid one, never.

Rui Domingues
Rui Domingues  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
No Feb 20, 2015

From the training sessions and webinars that I have seen advertised in Proz, it seems to me that most are just a way translators (most of them are from translators) have to make some extra money, and some of them seem not very interesting "How to organize your time", "How to find good clients", "How to take the most of your Proz profile", etc.

I am sorry, but in my humble opinion this is just a way people found to make extra money and as some of you have already pointed out the resu
... See more
From the training sessions and webinars that I have seen advertised in Proz, it seems to me that most are just a way translators (most of them are from translators) have to make some extra money, and some of them seem not very interesting "How to organize your time", "How to find good clients", "How to take the most of your Proz profile", etc.

I am sorry, but in my humble opinion this is just a way people found to make extra money and as some of you have already pointed out the results are not the expected ones, as there is no magic formula, what is a good strategy for one person might not be the right one for other professionals…
Collapse

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Yes, several times Feb 20, 2015

I'm a member of the European Medical Writers Association (EMWA), and the association webinars I have attended so far have been excellent. They have all included a pane where you can submit a question and actually interact with the speaker giving the webinar.

I suppose what it comes down to is whether the subject matter is relevant, and how knowledgeable and engaging the speaker is.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Yes, a few times Feb 20, 2015

I have to say, it surprises me sometimes that people are charging quite large sums of money to read out a few sheets of information, which many other people would provide free of charge via a blog or article. Sure, there might be an opportunity to "interact" - but there is rarely much time for questions and answers at the end of these sessions.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
The problem is not the medium Feb 20, 2015

The way I see it, the medium is not the problem. If your speaker is monotonous, devoid of charisma and presents what is basically a presentation devoid of content, then a webinar isn't going to fix it. I lost count of how many mind-numbing presentations I was forced to endure at university. And those were "live" speakers.

If you have a knowledgeable, charismatic speaker, with limited places and good time management, then there should be as much time to ask questions as there would
... See more
The way I see it, the medium is not the problem. If your speaker is monotonous, devoid of charisma and presents what is basically a presentation devoid of content, then a webinar isn't going to fix it. I lost count of how many mind-numbing presentations I was forced to endure at university. And those were "live" speakers.

If you have a knowledgeable, charismatic speaker, with limited places and good time management, then there should be as much time to ask questions as there would be with a live speaker.

Just my 2 cents, mind you.

[Edited at 2015-02-20 17:17 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes - sometimes Feb 20, 2015

As Fiona Peterson says,

... what it comes down to is whether the subject matter is relevant, and how knowledgeable and engaging the speaker is.

Some have been valuable opportunities to hear speakers I would not have been able to hear 'live', while on other occasions I have been glad it was only a webinar, and no one need know that I had left the audience!

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes - several Feb 21, 2015

Not necessarily translation related, but I try to participate in two or three each month. Mostly I look for information on small business marketing and for updates on search engine optimization. I get most of my information from a few primary sources that I actively follow, but it's neat to hear other people's thoughts and experiences with tools and concepts that I use.

I considered making my own webinar here on Proz, probably on how I customized my profile, but I decided to go wit
... See more
Not necessarily translation related, but I try to participate in two or three each month. Mostly I look for information on small business marketing and for updates on search engine optimization. I get most of my information from a few primary sources that I actively follow, but it's neat to hear other people's thoughts and experiences with tools and concepts that I use.

I considered making my own webinar here on Proz, probably on how I customized my profile, but I decided to go with YouTube instead. I have a bunch of videos on there now and it's turned in to a hobby that I really enjoy. Now I just need to start making Minecraft videos like everyone else, haha.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you attend online training sessions or webinars?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »