Poll: Do you respond to crowdsourcing requests?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 10, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you respond to crowdsourcing requests?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 22:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 10, 2015

I occasionally bung Wikipedia a tenner as I appreciate their efforts - does that count?

PS: Mea culpa. I understood "crowdfunding". In that case, my answer would usually be no - it takes me all my time to deal with my regular work.
I did translate a website free of charge a couple of years ago for a worthy cause (spinal injury research), but normally I'm too busy to entertain approaches for unpaid collaboration.

[Edited at 2015-02-10 10:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-02
... See more
I occasionally bung Wikipedia a tenner as I appreciate their efforts - does that count?

PS: Mea culpa. I understood "crowdfunding". In that case, my answer would usually be no - it takes me all my time to deal with my regular work.
I did translate a website free of charge a couple of years ago for a worthy cause (spinal injury research), but normally I'm too busy to entertain approaches for unpaid collaboration.

[Edited at 2015-02-10 10:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-02-10 10:01 GMT]
Collapse

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 23:49
Turkish to English
+ ...
No Feb 10, 2015

Well, I have never received such a request, actually, but I wouldn't respond expect in a negative manner.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:49
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other ... Feb 10, 2015

I don't think I've ever received such a request.
If I did I would treat every case on its merits, or lack thereof, and respond accordingly.

[Edited at 2015-02-10 10:21 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Uh, hello? Feb 10, 2015

Translate something for free when I could be translating something for money?

Am I missing something?

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:49
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
not by request... Feb 10, 2015

... but I've added one or two edits on Wikipedia, translated a couple of transcripts on a coursera course... not much, but I figured that I use and benefit from these free services and if something catches my attention and I'm not in a mad rush, then I should also contribute in some form.

The problem with actual calls for volunteers is that they a) often come from profit-making organisations looking for free labour and b) want my time at the most inconvenient moment.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I don't consider translating pro bono as crowdsourcing Feb 10, 2015

I don't remember ever seeing any crowdsourcing requests.

Possibly general invitations to contribute to sites such as 'MyMemory' - but I practically never have time to do so, and purely technically I do not know how to start.

If a translator works for Translators Without Borders or any other non-profit organisation to support the cause, taking on work and delivering it without charge, that is not crowdsourcing as I understand it. The only way it differs from professional
... See more
I don't remember ever seeing any crowdsourcing requests.

Possibly general invitations to contribute to sites such as 'MyMemory' - but I practically never have time to do so, and purely technically I do not know how to start.

If a translator works for Translators Without Borders or any other non-profit organisation to support the cause, taking on work and delivering it without charge, that is not crowdsourcing as I understand it. The only way it differs from professional work is the payment (or agreement on non-payment).

Just as sitting on committees, serving as honorary treasurer etc. without fees is not 'crowd' work, but providing a personal service with personal responsibility.

I would probably not contribute to crowdsourcing if asked.
I take responsibility for my work, and a crowd cannot - nobody can be sure who fiddled with it last, or why.
Collapse

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
What is crowdsourcing? Feb 10, 2015

Please excuse my ignorance. I thought crowdsourcing meant those kinds of jobs where 100,000 words are required for the next day so the job is divided up among several translators (which incidentally I usually turn down as they usually come from dubious sources and I can't imagine how it is possible to ensure any kind of quality or continuity). Judging from other peoples' responses, though, I seem to have the wrong end of the stick...

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:49
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Feb 10, 2015

And, I hardly receive these kinds of requests.

If I lived in an ideal world where I was independently wealthy and could recline on a velvet couch eating grapes and drinking champagne all day long dressed in a toga (ancient Roman kimono), I could entertain the thought of doing pro bono stuff for a good cause.

But, alas. Woe is me! Such is not the world. I have to slave like a whatsit on the wrong end of a chain gain to make a living. Sigh...

However,
I
... See more
And, I hardly receive these kinds of requests.

If I lived in an ideal world where I was independently wealthy and could recline on a velvet couch eating grapes and drinking champagne all day long dressed in a toga (ancient Roman kimono), I could entertain the thought of doing pro bono stuff for a good cause.

But, alas. Woe is me! Such is not the world. I have to slave like a whatsit on the wrong end of a chain gain to make a living. Sigh...

However,
If this question refers to the definition that Helen's just given us, then I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole since the only foreseeable outcome of such an undertaking would be a total clustermess that I would not want to lend my name to. Sometimes the bar gets lowered too far you cannot limbo.
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
This Feb 10, 2015

Tim Drayton wrote:

Well, I have never received such a request, actually, but I wouldn't respond except in a negative manner.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, of course not Feb 10, 2015

BTW: I have received a request once or twice.

[Edited at 2015-02-10 13:45 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ditto! Feb 10, 2015

Tim Drayton wrote:

Well, I have never received such a request, actually, but I wouldn't respond expect in a negative manner.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Feb 10, 2015

I've received a few of these requests, but didn't even take the time to reply. Charity is a voluntary act/deed and shouldn't be solicited by companies that can easily afford to pay a decent rate.

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
No Feb 10, 2015

it can be read in a few ways...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdsourcing

Mariel Varjão Azoubel
Mariel Varjão Azoubel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Crowdsourcing... Feb 10, 2015

...doesn't necessarily mean for free. There a few agencies out there that work with crowdsourcing, but have turned it into a paid job. Usually it doesn't involve translating (it's something like checking breadcrumbs, or if a research's intent is adult or not) and it's fairly underpaid so... Yeah, it guess it would be kind of "for free" if you consider the amount they're willing to pay.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you respond to crowdsourcing requests?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »