Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: In which currency do you usually receive payment?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 4, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In which currency do you usually receive payment?".

This poll was originally submitted by Nicole Blanc. View the poll results »

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 12:30
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yen Feb 4, 2015

I have a yen for this.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:30
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
EUR + USD Feb 4, 2015

My main bank account is in EUR, but I also have a special account for payments in USD.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:30
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
USD Feb 4, 2015

I prefer not to receive EUR because I always seem to lose a lot of money in transit. My bank now charges US$ 45.00 for a wire transfer from Europe, regardless of the amount involved. PayPal is a little better, but I still get hit.

The nice thing about about PayPal is that they exchange any currency and do it quite efficiently, so for currencies other than EUR--Japanese yen, Brazilian réais, etc.--it's the easiest solution, especially for small amounts. (I have two clients in Japan
... See more
I prefer not to receive EUR because I always seem to lose a lot of money in transit. My bank now charges US$ 45.00 for a wire transfer from Europe, regardless of the amount involved. PayPal is a little better, but I still get hit.

The nice thing about about PayPal is that they exchange any currency and do it quite efficiently, so for currencies other than EUR--Japanese yen, Brazilian réais, etc.--it's the easiest solution, especially for small amounts. (I have two clients in Japan for whom I edit medical papers written in English by non-native speakers.)

Some of my U.S. clients deposit directly to my bank account, which is great, but when that convenience is not available, I prefer a paper check--in USD, of course.
Collapse

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Local time: 04:30
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
85% Euro Feb 4, 2015

and wire transfers with no fee at all are the best way to go. Some wire transfers are in GBP or USD but my bank charges a set fee of €6.50, no matter the amount, for conversion to EUR so not bad.

PayPal is fine but I hate having to pay their fees and I keep separate GBP and USD accounts within PayPal to use for paying for goods in those currencies so I don't have to convert twice

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 06:30
Turkish to English
+ ...
GBP Feb 4, 2015

Roughly 2/3 GBP, 1/3 EUR. However, with the US dollar going from strength to strength against the euro, I can't help feeling that I will start getting work from the USA again before long.

Yarri K
Yarri K
Burkina Faso
Local time: 03:30
French to English
+ ...
National currency pegged to the Euro Feb 4, 2015

I receive most of my payments by international wire transfer in my national currency. As it is pegged to the Euro, I prefer Euro clients to USD-paying clients as there are no exchange rate fluctuations or commissions. Though if the USD rises enough, this might make me more open to USD-payers.

Klára Kalamár
Klára Kalamár  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Hungarian
+ ...
20% USD, 80% EUR Feb 4, 2015

Most of my clients are from Europe and they pay by wire transfer (no fees at all for me).
However I have a couple of American customers from whom I receive payments via PayPal.
I do not accept checks because banks charge unreasonable fees and make cashing checks a slow and complicated process here in my country.

Rita Utt
Rita Utt  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:30
English to German
+ ...
Very interesting Feb 4, 2015

Are most of clients of ProZ translation form Europe ?

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
euros and occasionally dollars Feb 4, 2015

Rita Utt wrote:

Are most of clients of ProZ translation form Europe ?

No, the Americans are just getting up now ....

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
USD, EUR, GBP and DKK Feb 4, 2015

The only problem is that my US clients charge a horrendeous fee for bank transfers (or their financial institutions do)

No, let me precise, not all of them but a few.

[Edited at 2015-02-04 13:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-02-04 13:06 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
EUR & USD Feb 4, 2015

Since these are the only two currencies I accept.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
EUR & USD & GBP Feb 4, 2015

I have a separate bank account for each currency.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
GBP or bust Feb 4, 2015

I'm in the UK, I'm only little, why should I take the exchange rate hit? No customer has ever objected.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:30
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
USD, EUR, CAD, BRL Feb 6, 2015

I receive payments regularly in four currencies, without a defined percentage for each, so I had to choose "other".

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In which currency do you usually receive payment?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »