Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you use voice recognition software for your translation work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:16
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
@ Charlie Jan 27, 2015

Thanks for the correction. "Voice recognition' feels like chalk squeaking on a blackboard to me, as I did some work evaluating the products for DARPA more than 20 years ago. But nowadays even people working in the field call it 'voice recognition', so the misnomer may be here to stay.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Some questions Jan 27, 2015

1. I'm still on Dragon version 10 - are the more recent versions appreciably better?

2. Does anybody have any headset recommendations? My cheapie is dying. My phone recognises my voice/speech/sarcasm better than Dragon at the moment.

3. Is Dragon still the best/only package out there?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Thanks Claire Jan 27, 2015

Claire Cox wrote:

I've written about in the ins and outs at length here if anyone is interested to find out more: https://clairecoxtranslations.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/taming-the-dragon/

"There are some commands in Pandora’s Box in Wordfast to assist Dragon users, such as automatically capitalising the first letter of sentences"

I had no idea. That could shave, well, whole seconds off my workload. But psychologically...

That's made my day!

Lyubov Tyurina
Lyubov Tyurina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:16
French to Russian
+ ...
Yes Jan 27, 2015

A year and a few months ago I had a problem with my hands and typing and started to use a voice recognition software. it was very helpful. Now I am habituated to and the quality of the voice recognition keeps growing. Now there is only one for my language (a commercial one www.realspeaker.net), but I'm very satisfied.

[Edited at 2015-01-27 11:52 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:16
French to English
Overlap Jan 27, 2015

But nowadays even people working in the field call it 'voice recognition', so the misnomer may be here to stay.

I think software publishers have to acknowledge the usage, for the purposes of SEO and suchlike.

Whether you would consider, say, translators, bloggers or translator portal staff as "working in" it and therefore authoritative arbiters of usage I'm not sure. I wouldn't, I think, on balance.

That said, of course, you do have to train Dragon to how your actual voice sounds, so p-e-r-h-a-p-s there is an element of VR in its SR. But until and unless VR dies a death, which it might, I'd prefer to see the distinction maintained. But I am an insufferable pedant sometimes

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
My pleasure! Jan 27, 2015

Chris S wrote:

Claire Cox wrote:

I've written about in the ins and outs at length here if anyone is interested to find out more: https://clairecoxtranslations.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/taming-the-dragon/

"There are some commands in Pandora’s Box in Wordfast to assist Dragon users, such as automatically capitalising the first letter of sentences"

I had no idea. That could shave, well, whole seconds off my workload. But psychologically...

That's made my day!

It's the little things in life....

Another tip that I discovered from the Facebook "Translators who use Speech Recognition" group is pressing the + key on the numeric keypad to instantly switch off (and on) recognition, say when the phone rings or someone walks in. I'd always found there was a time lag before, but this is instantaneous and saves Dragon writing a lot of rubbish while you wait for the "Go to sleep" command to take effect...

As I said in my blog, I've changed to a wireless headset (Plantronics) which was between £40-£50, but I do find it very good and well worth the outlay - plus no trailing cord to get caught up in your chair wheels or for the dogs to trip over. I find it very comfortable and it cuts out a lot of background sound if you work in a noisy environment (I don't, but those who do might like to take note!). However, a male colleague I recommended it to didn't find it comfortable - bigger ears perhaps?! - so it might be worth trying before you buy.

I'm on my second version of Dragon now, 11.5, which is a big improvement over Version 9 which had got clogged up over the years and kept crashing. I haven't felt the need to upgrade to the latest version as I'm really happy with the recognition quality, but perhaps others feel it is worthwhile?

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:16
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, but I would like to Jan 27, 2015

Although it is not vital at the moment, maybe in future....

However, I don't think it comes with Danish, let me know when it does.

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would try it Jan 27, 2015

I would try it, and I have been told wonders about it, but I have never got down to trying it. However, I have a question:

Chris S wrote:

It's brilliant, it's amazing, it saves time, it's good for the body, good for the soul, cures all known diseases, saves the rainforest and the ozone layer, slices loaves evenly and even shifts stubborn stains.

How exactly does it save the rainforest and the ozone layer? I hardly ever print anything except my invoices, so I do not see how voice recognition software is better in that respect than using Trados without it.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 19:46
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Dragon Naturally Speaking Jan 27, 2015

I did buy Dragon Naturally Speaking optimized for Indian English a few years ago. I used it for some work, but did not get too cosy with it. Also, I do very little work in English; most of my work is in Hindi, for which no voice/speech recognition software is yet available.

If it becomes available, I will definitely give it a try. I eventually want to free myself from my computer keyboard for health reasons and also for greater freedom of body movement. I believe it would also great
... See more
I did buy Dragon Naturally Speaking optimized for Indian English a few years ago. I used it for some work, but did not get too cosy with it. Also, I do very little work in English; most of my work is in Hindi, for which no voice/speech recognition software is yet available.

If it becomes available, I will definitely give it a try. I eventually want to free myself from my computer keyboard for health reasons and also for greater freedom of body movement. I believe it would also greatly improve my efficiency. But it all depends on a Hindi speech recognition software becoming available. I have feeling that such a software is not in the horizon in the near future at least.
Collapse

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I would love to Jan 27, 2015

for some of my projects, but it is not available for my main target language.

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Greek
+ ...
I wish there were a good one for greek. Jan 27, 2015

I would then manage to take up knitting at last!

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Eco benefits Jan 27, 2015

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington wrote:

How exactly does it save the rainforest and the ozone layer?

Fewer smoking keyboards = less carbon

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
ah but.. Jan 27, 2015

Chris S wrote:

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington wrote:

How exactly does it save the rainforest and the ozone layer?

Fewer smoking keyboards = less carbon

...what about all that hot air as you dictate nineteen to the dozen?!

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would try it Jan 27, 2015

I used a free program that I found on my computer for a couple of projects. My translations did sound a lot more natural and I felt like I was back in the ol' office interpreting again. I would consider using it again if I had better software. The free program was ok, but wasn't worth the hassle.

I have replaced my mouse with a special touch pad and stylus though, and I love it! This entire post was hand written! It's awful for gaming though, aside from Hearthstone...

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jan 27, 2015

Voice recognition has helped me to increase my productivity around a 30-40%.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use voice recognition software for your translation work?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »