Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Was being a translator or interpreter your first choice for your career?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 25, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Was being a translator or interpreter your first choice for your career?".

This poll was originally submitted by Katja Schoone. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:53
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jan 25, 2015

It wasn't my first choice, but it will be my last for sure!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 01:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 25, 2015

It might have been, but when I graduated with a degree in Russian and French, all the jobs available required signature of the UK's official secrets act, which I wasn't happy about. So, I took a few other jobs then got into TEFL... and after several years teaching in Spain I eventually ended up where I am today, working as a translator. It must have been my destiny.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Jan 25, 2015

It wasn't my first choice, but it will be one of the two last career choices.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yes but... Jan 25, 2015

I knew I wanted to translate when I left university having spent my work placement abroad working as a proofreader in a translation agency, but I couldn't find a job in translation immediately. I was offered a place on a graduate scheme for a major UK bank, so accepted that, but soon realised it wasn't for me and carried on writing to local companies in the hope that they might have a need for a translator. I was very lucky to be called for interview to a company 5 minutes walk from my house, go... See more
I knew I wanted to translate when I left university having spent my work placement abroad working as a proofreader in a translation agency, but I couldn't find a job in translation immediately. I was offered a place on a graduate scheme for a major UK bank, so accepted that, but soon realised it wasn't for me and carried on writing to local companies in the hope that they might have a need for a translator. I was very lucky to be called for interview to a company 5 minutes walk from my house, got the job, resigned from the bank (after a year) and the rest is history...Collapse

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jan 25, 2015

I knew I wanted to be a translator since I was eight, when I went camping with my parents and my siblings and met lots of foreigners.

Although my dream came true almost 30 years later.

Sometimes you just have a to wait a little bit. ;-(

Cheers!

N.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:53
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Probably Jan 25, 2015

Unconsciously since the age of 11

This is when I first started studying Latin. Greek followed later on when I was 14. Every lesson was along the following lines.

Teacher: "Holmes!"
Me: "Yes, sir."
Teacher: "Read the next few lines until I tell you to stop. Then, translate."

Read and translate. Read and translate. Read and translate. Ad nauseum.

I probably chose Japanese at uni to avoid Latin and Greek. ... See more
Unconsciously since the age of 11

This is when I first started studying Latin. Greek followed later on when I was 14. Every lesson was along the following lines.

Teacher: "Holmes!"
Teacher: "Read the next few lines until I tell you to stop. Then, translate."

Read and translate. Read and translate. Read and translate. Ad nauseum.

I probably chose Japanese at uni to avoid Latin and Greek.
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes, but... Jan 25, 2015

I always thought I would work with languages, and everything I did before I actually commenced formal graduate studies was sort of leading up to this. However, my intention was to become an interpreter, but I have ended up as a translator. Quite a different lifestyle, I think.

Would I make the same choices again if I could? Probably...

Would I change my career for something else in the future, if the timing (and the money) was right? In a heatbeat!

It's not
... See more
I always thought I would work with languages, and everything I did before I actually commenced formal graduate studies was sort of leading up to this. However, my intention was to become an interpreter, but I have ended up as a translator. Quite a different lifestyle, I think.

Would I make the same choices again if I could? Probably...

Would I change my career for something else in the future, if the timing (and the money) was right? In a heatbeat!

It's not that I hate translating, but at times, I would just like to do something that doesn't feel like I'm sitting an exam every time I do a job, knowing that scoring an 'average' mark from the 'teacher' (client) is no longer an option. We always have to strive for top marks, which is a challenge that is only fun part of the time...
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
yes Jan 25, 2015

I was 15 and I knew I wanted to be a translator.
I have always loved reading and I had the image of me translating those books.
Well, I have translated just a few books, I mainly work with technical stuff.
When I was 18/19 I started also to think about a career in Journalism, and I am lucky because I worked as a journalist for 2 years, and then I had a chance to start my career as a translator.

Yulia Tsybysheva BA MSc MCIL
Yulia Tsybysheva BA MSc MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes and no Jan 25, 2015

When I left school I knew I wanted to study something languages-related, but I didn't really think about translation as a career path. However, by the end of my third year I was working for a translation agency.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:53
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, but it was the best. Jan 25, 2015

I tried other stuff (for just too long), and found out I was wasting my time, because we should do what we love, and what I love is translating.

[Edited at 2015-01-25 16:54 GMT]

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
No - Airline Pilot Jan 25, 2015

I was going to be a pilot. I graduated from high school at 15, started taking university courses at 16, and had my first degree at 17.5 (technically it was a professional certificate). When I was 18, Delta Airlines Academy called me and offered me a full scholarship. I ended up going to Argentina for a couple of years, which is where I met Gaby (my wife), and started interpreting and translating.

Being a pilot meant that I would be away from home a lot. My dad was in the army (we w
... See more
I was going to be a pilot. I graduated from high school at 15, started taking university courses at 16, and had my first degree at 17.5 (technically it was a professional certificate). When I was 18, Delta Airlines Academy called me and offered me a full scholarship. I ended up going to Argentina for a couple of years, which is where I met Gaby (my wife), and started interpreting and translating.

Being a pilot meant that I would be away from home a lot. My dad was in the army (we were stationed in Frankfurt Germany from '88 to '92), and was gone a lot. It was really hard on my mom, and I didn't want my family to go through the same thing. I did some soul searching and discovered that I really didn't want to work, I just wanted money. So I've been dedicating myself to becoming rich without working ever since. I bought stock in a couple of companies. I started a couple of my own, as well. I'm honestly really surprised how much I love the (small to medium sized) business world.

We're still not rich, but we're working on it. I think our app will do the trick
Collapse

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Other Jan 25, 2015

It was on my list of possible careers but I didn't become a true, full-time freelance translator until a little later in life. Internet made it easier to become one.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No Jan 25, 2015

It was an area I was very interested in trying, but when I was in college there were no courses in T&I and I knew of no employment opportunities in the field. Thus it was impossible to choose as a career because I could see no way I could ever make a living at it, and there was no road to even starting. My start came sometime later and on a part-time or moonlighting basis for many years on the US-Mexico border, a logical place for there to be a demand for such services. That demand eventually gr... See more
It was an area I was very interested in trying, but when I was in college there were no courses in T&I and I knew of no employment opportunities in the field. Thus it was impossible to choose as a career because I could see no way I could ever make a living at it, and there was no road to even starting. My start came sometime later and on a part-time or moonlighting basis for many years on the US-Mexico border, a logical place for there to be a demand for such services. That demand eventually grew and enabled me to become independent after close to 15 years, a long road to be sure,Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Jan 26, 2015

I studied electronic engineering.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Was being a translator or interpreter your first choice for your career?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »