Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many hours a day do you typically spend on the computer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 14, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many hours a day do you typically spend on the computer?".

This poll was originally submitted by Magdalena Balibrea Vich. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:18
Member (2006)
German to English
>12 Jan 14, 2015

Depending on my workload, etc. but generally between 10 and 14 hours

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jan 14, 2015

There is no such thing as typically, depending on the work involved it will vary from 0-4 to over 12 hours...

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:18
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
>10 Jan 14, 2015

You mean "spend working," of course. And, like Teresa and Michael say, naturally, this depends on the workload.
However, I spend more time on a computer than most people do because I severed the tendons of my middle finger a few years back and can use only two fingers - thumb and index finger - on my right hand for typing. Such is life. Sigh...

Small edit

[Edited at 2015-01-15 10:18 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:18
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I read the question differently Jan 14, 2015

I thought it included reading e-mail, writing my blog, etc. That would be 10-12 hours a day. Working is more like 6 on average with peaks of up to 12.

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:18
Portuguese to English
0 - 4 Jan 14, 2015

That's because I averaged in all the days where I hardly go near a computer at all. When I have work to do, then about 6 to 8 hours working plus another 2 hours on e-mails, Skype, FB etc

[Edited at 2015-01-14 11:04 GMT]

Henry Schroeder
Henry Schroeder  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:18
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Life at a screen Jan 14, 2015

I've made life really simple. Basically we live at a computer screen today (especially translators). Since I don't sleep well if I exceed 10 hours of screen time per day (yes, that would include TV, but I don't have it), I almost always keep it below that amount. The few hours not spent at the screen or sleeping are celebrated. A day of just four hours at the screen is a holiday! I read a report on a congressional study in the 60s that said technology would make it possible for us to work on 20 ... See more
I've made life really simple. Basically we live at a computer screen today (especially translators). Since I don't sleep well if I exceed 10 hours of screen time per day (yes, that would include TV, but I don't have it), I almost always keep it below that amount. The few hours not spent at the screen or sleeping are celebrated. A day of just four hours at the screen is a holiday! I read a report on a congressional study in the 60s that said technology would make it possible for us to work on 20 hours a week in the future. How absurd that seems today. It's amazing that anyone believes in technology anymore! We've lived through probably the greatest increase in efficiency ever and we work more than ever before. Strange.Collapse

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:18
Portuguese to English
+ ...
12+ but not just work Jan 14, 2015

I'm also taking online course in computer programming languages,
so I study, and write lots of code, etc.
Also, I "moonlight" as a web developer, designer, and host, so I spend time
building and maintaining sites for (a small handful of ) clients for that, too.

Thankfully, I gave up the facebook, or I'd never sleep!

[Edited at 2015-01-14 13:14 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
About 6 Jan 14, 2015

is all my patience, eyes, wrists and shoulders can take

dkfmmuc
dkfmmuc  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:18
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
This reduced workload would help the society Jan 14, 2015

Henry Schroeder wrote:
I read a report on a congressional study in the 60s that said technology would make it possible for us to work on 20 hours a week in the future. How absurd that seems today. It's amazing that anyone believes in technology anymore! We've lived through probably the greatest increase in efficiency ever and we work more than ever before. Strange.

Thank you for contributing this astonishing facts.

At the moment I take some minutes off work and just imagining how different society would be if all of us would be able to work only 20 hours a week. On the other hand: Would this be enough to create all the value a modern society needs to be maintained?

Then spending some parts of the "saved" time contributing to the society and have plenty of free-time enjoying our limited timeline here on Earth.

Let me add one very surprising additional fact: If you travel on a German railway you see a rising percentage of tickets bought on the Internet and printed at home.

Despite the insignificant savings people devote their rare time for taking an additional function: Searching for the best deal and advice themselves about the best train fare.

Isn't that strange too?

Best regards

Gerd

[Edited at 2015-01-14 14:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-01-14 15:00 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:18
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I answered 8-10... Jan 14, 2015

Considering a day when I have a decent load of work. Since this does not happen every single day, of course the average could be lower. The question (once again poorly devised) does not mention a "regular working day", which makes the answerer include weekends and holidays, and consider an average. It also does not mention time spent actually working, as we do spend time on the computer doing other things.

I haven't seen a well-thought question here for a long time.

IM
... See more
Considering a day when I have a decent load of work. Since this does not happen every single day, of course the average could be lower. The question (once again poorly devised) does not mention a "regular working day", which makes the answerer include weekends and holidays, and consider an average. It also does not mention time spent actually working, as we do spend time on the computer doing other things.

I haven't seen a well-thought question here for a long time.

IMO, the question should be "How many hours...spent working... in a regular business day", and my answer would then be 8-10 hours (considering it could be even 2-4, if I'm not very busy, but also 8-10 on Saturdays and Sundays, otherwise).

[Edited at 2015-01-14 15:11 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
You can work 20 hours a week Jan 14, 2015

dkfmmuc wrote:

Henry Schroeder wrote:
I read a report on a congressional study in the 60s that said technology would make it possible for us to work on 20 hours a week in the future. How absurd that seems today. It's amazing that anyone believes in technology anymore! We've lived through probably the greatest increase in efficiency ever and we work more than ever before. Strange.

At the moment I take some minutes off work and just imagining how different society would be if all of us would be able to work only 20 hours a week. On the other hand: Would this be enough to create all the value a modern society needs to be maintained?

You can easily enjoy the standard of living people had 50 years ago on 20 hours a week, because it was very much lower than today's.

You can also enjoy a perfectly reasonable standard of living by modern standards.

On the one hand, you don't actually need an iPhone.

On the other, it's amazing just how much you can get done in 20-25 hours a week if you put your mind to it. Almost as much as you can do in 35-40 hours in my experience.

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Who's counting...? Jan 14, 2015

Sometimes I spend 6, sometimes 4, sometimes 8 and some others (halleluyah for large workloads!!) even 12 or 14, but the latter I do very exceptionally and only for one or two days; if I have to do it for longer, I turn it down or get help, since no good may come from it, in terms of quality and [mental] health.

My average would be 6 hours.

Klára Kalamár
Klára Kalamár  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 11:18
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I answered 4 to 6 Jan 14, 2015

6 hours is perfectly sufficient for me, cause I take on well paid jobs only. And – to paraphrase Chris – 6 is all my patience, eyes, wrists but first of all my aching spine can take.

Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Singapore
Local time: 16:18
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
>12 but not necessarily for work Jan 15, 2015

I don't think that the question was asking about how much time we spend working on the computer, but about how much time we spend in front of the computer doing whatever we like, including shopping, surfing, etc. I use the computer for many things, not just work.

I answered >12, but certainly not all on work. The majority of my time when I am not asleep, commuting, eating or doing whatever else needs to be done in life is spent on the computer. The actual number of hours spent on wo
... See more
I don't think that the question was asking about how much time we spend working on the computer, but about how much time we spend in front of the computer doing whatever we like, including shopping, surfing, etc. I use the computer for many things, not just work.

I answered >12, but certainly not all on work. The majority of my time when I am not asleep, commuting, eating or doing whatever else needs to be done in life is spent on the computer. The actual number of hours spent on work varies according to my workload.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many hours a day do you typically spend on the computer?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »