Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you use/trust cloud services to store your data?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 18, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use/trust cloud services to store your data?".

This poll was originally submitted by Textklick. View the poll results »

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:39
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Aug 18, 2014

Since I can not control the activities there, I would not trust Cloud with sentive data. I simply owe it to my customers to prevent access to their documents. Period.

[Edited at 2014-08-18 12:06 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Whyever not? Aug 18, 2014

If people are capable of hacking into the cloud and sifting through all that data for my clients' secrets, they're more than capable of hacking into my little PC or breaking into my office.

And where do my clients themselves store their data if not in the cloud?

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:39
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not yet Aug 18, 2014

I'm not the suspicious type, but I'm concerned that some big company (you all know the candidates) could somehow get permission to mine the data.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Aug 18, 2014

Mainly because of confidentiality and security issues...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Aug 18, 2014

I don't trust "cloud" anything. Call me old-fashioned if you like, but I don't think I need these services anyway - my current setup seems to be working fine, so why change it?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trawling Aug 18, 2014

Chris S wrote:

If people are capable of hacking into the cloud and sifting through all that data for my clients' secrets, they're more than capable of hacking into my little PC or breaking into my office.

And where do my clients themselves store their data if not in the cloud?

I imagine (for no reason other than just because) that random hack-trawling would be easier in a "cloud" than in my physical hardware. And what my clients do with their data is their business...

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:39
English to Polish
Other Aug 18, 2014

I don't store my data on a random cloud services, but I do have an automatic daily backup of important data on a cloud-like dedicated service (backed up and stored online on a secure server), simply because a hard drive can crash, and I need to keep certain data (also a legal requirement in some cases).

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:39
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
"Cloud" Aug 18, 2014

Basically any device continually connected to the Internet is in the 'cloud.'

If you're really worried about data backups being hacked, I suggest the following which I do on a regular basis:

- Disconnect your PC from the Internet.
- Run antivirus software on the folder(s) that contain your data you want to back up.
- After checking the folder(s) are free of viruses and other malware, connect an external hard disk or other removable storage medium that has be
... See more

If you're really worried about data backups being hacked, I suggest the following which I do on a regular basis:

- Disconnect your PC from the Internet.
- Run antivirus software on the folder(s) that contain your data you want to back up.
- After checking the folder(s) are free of viruses and other malware, connect an external hard disk or other removable storage medium that has been verified free of viruses, etc. to your PC.
- Backup the data to this storage medium.
- After the backup, turn off and disconnect the external hard disk from your PC.
- Reconnect your PC.

The hard disk is no longer in the 'cloud' per se since it's disconnected from the Internet and therefore not hackable.

Voila, simple innit!
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
No... Aug 18, 2014

...but for a different reason. I could encrypt my data with the right software and thus reliably protect them from unauthorised access while in the cloud. What I can't be sure of is that these data will be accessible when I need them and from where I need them. If my internet access is down (which does happen from time to time, especially when I'm travelling), I am simply out of luck!

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Aug 18, 2014

You don't have to worry aout hackers, you have to worry about the cloud storage operators, these are Terms of Service for Google Drive:
"When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate,
... See more
You don't have to worry aout hackers, you have to worry about the cloud storage operators, these are Terms of Service for Google Drive:
"When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services.

Our automated systems analyze your content (including emails) to provide you personally relevant product features, such as customized search results, tailored advertising, and spam and malware detection. This analysis occurs as the content is sent, received, and when it is stored. "
Collapse

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:39
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I have my own Aug 18, 2014

Since I also do web development, design, and hosting on the side, I have my own web servers.
So if I need to store something where I can get it anywhere, I use my own servers.
Call me paranoid, if you will, but I don't trust anybody else with my stuff.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:39
Portuguese to English
+ ...
worried about crackers cracking into your machine? Aug 18, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

Stop using insecure, unstable, proprietary operating systems (i.e. MS Windows) that are full of security holes.

I highly recommend Debian Gnu/Linux, which I use on my web servers, and at home.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:39
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What for? Aug 18, 2014

If I have a car, I don't need to gove other the keys of that car.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
No Aug 18, 2014

I don't need to access my stuff when I am out of the office, so I don't need cloud services.
E-mail monitoring is already more than enough.

Philippe

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use/trust cloud services to store your data?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »