https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/245089-poll_do_you_own_more_than_one_cat_tool.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you own more than one CAT tool?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 14, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you own more than one CAT tool?".

This poll was originally submitted by Maria Popova. View the poll results »

Filipa Plant dos Santos
Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:28
Portuguese to English
and will stick to just the one!! Mar 14, 2013

Better one CAT tool that I know how to use properly than two or three that I only just manage to get by with.

Plus all the extra stuff - the TMs, the terminology management, etc etc. Lots to understand and keep up to date with!

Patricia Prevost
Patricia Prevost  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
SDL Trados 2009 and Transit Mar 14, 2013

I usually work with SDL Trados 2009 but still have Transit, although I haven't used it for years now, after the client I used it for went out of business.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 14, 2013

If you count a machine translation program. After using an ancient version for years, I bought a licence for Systran but was dismayed to find that the newer version - like so many other software tools - was much more fiddly and complicated to use than the older one I was used to, so now I never use the blessed thing.

Maria Popova
Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 03:28
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
So frustrating! Mar 14, 2013

Hi Filipa,

Thank you for your opinion. I started the poll as I got frustrated these days as almost everyone of my clients seems to be using a different CAT Tool demanding that I start using it too. I got so confused as I own and use one reliable CAT Tool that I like. And I also prefer to use only one CAT Tool that I have already made investments in. I suppose in a perfect world that would be possible.

Cheers,

Maria

[Edited at 2013-03-14 08:46 GMT]

Maria Popova
Bulgaria
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
Thank you! Mar 14, 2013

Hi everyone,

Thank you for sharing your opinions and experiences!

Cheers,

Maria

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:28
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I use a variety of CAT tools Mar 14, 2013

But I have never spent a cent on any of them. Clients give me a light / editor version of their preferred software and provide training. So, technically I don't "own" any.

Marie-Paule Cadi
Marie-Paule Cadi  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Yes Mar 14, 2013

I own two: Wordfast Pro and Trados. Being a mac user, I started with Wordfast, that I knew and liked. But then one of my clients asked me to buy a Trados licence (in exchange, he would be giving me enough job to make my investment worth it - and he did).

I was taught how to use Trados at the university and started with Wordfast on my own a few years ago, so I am quite at ease with both and don't regret the choice

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Yess Mar 14, 2013

I have two CAT tools in my computer, and my cat Lucy is also a valuable tool in my work

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:28
French to English
+ ...
Wordfast and Trados too Mar 14, 2013

Yes, I too have Wordfast (classic) and Trados. I invested in Wordfast years ago after doing an introductory course on CAT tools organised by the ITI. It looked at Deja Vu, Trados and Wordfast - don't think MemoQ existed in those days! On that basis I decided Wordfast was most suitable and intuitive for me and haven' t looked back. It's still my tool of preference.

However, I was asked by a couple of clients to consider getting Trados Studio 2009 a few years back and eventually succu
... See more
Yes, I too have Wordfast (classic) and Trados. I invested in Wordfast years ago after doing an introductory course on CAT tools organised by the ITI. It looked at Deja Vu, Trados and Wordfast - don't think MemoQ existed in those days! On that basis I decided Wordfast was most suitable and intuitive for me and haven' t looked back. It's still my tool of preference.

However, I was asked by a couple of clients to consider getting Trados Studio 2009 a few years back and eventually succumbed to pressure in a quiet moment at the end of one financial year when i needed to boost my expenses! I did find it a steep learning curve and struggled to find any training other then webinars, but with the help of the clients in question, I did get there in the end and I now quite enjoy using it too. One of the clients in question kept to their word and has sent me large volumes of work since I took the plunge, whereas the other has sent me very little, probably because they've taken on more in-house staff. However, I've also found that having Trados has made me more eligible for interesting and well-paid work from other agencies too, so it has certainly been a good move.

I now probably still use Wordfast from choice, unless I'm translating a ppt file, in which case Trados is much easier, especially since I've changed to Word/Powerpoint 2007 and can no longer use Werecat. I occasionally press the wrong key combination - Crtl + Enter rather than Alt + Down to go to the next segment, but that's a minor irritation. Certainly using two tools isn't a problem once you've got past the initial learning stage.
Collapse

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 08:28
English to Italian
+ ...
I own two Mar 14, 2013

I have been a long term Trados user. Then recently i also added MemoQ to my toolset. 90% of my work is done with Studio, for the simple reason i have all my TMs and MT glossaries set there and have no time to shift platform and because i am more acquainted with SDL products. 10% is done with MemoQ (Files Studio can't open due to compatibility issues, files that need source editing, files where i need to manipulate tags, wherever i need more freedom, etc.). I also still happen to use TagEditor to... See more
I have been a long term Trados user. Then recently i also added MemoQ to my toolset. 90% of my work is done with Studio, for the simple reason i have all my TMs and MT glossaries set there and have no time to shift platform and because i am more acquainted with SDL products. 10% is done with MemoQ (Files Studio can't open due to compatibility issues, files that need source editing, files where i need to manipulate tags, wherever i need more freedom, etc.). I also still happen to use TagEditor to prepare files for Studio and try to solve compatibility issues.
On request i buy other CATs too, provided the workflow with those justifies the investment. On contrary case i explain the customer i can handle his files with another CAT and often it works, while in other cases the customer prefers to find someone with his CAT of preference (This happens especially because many customers don't know many files can be translated also with other CATs).
Collapse

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 08:28
English to Italian
+ ...
Did you try... Mar 14, 2013

Maria Popova wrote:

Hi Filipa,

Thank you for your opinion. I started the poll as I got frustrated these days as almost everyone of my clients seems to be using a different CAT Tool demanding that I start using it too. I got so confused as I own and use one reliable CAT Tool that I like. And I also prefer to use only one CAT Tool that I have already made investments in. I suppose in a perfect world that would be possible.

Cheers,

Maria

[Edited at 2013-03-14 08:46 GMT]

...to explain your customers you can work on those files with an alternative CAT (When this is possible?). Basically two CATs should cover most needs and types of files. My take on this is that a fair share of customers plainly ignore CATs do essentially the same jobs so they get a sort of fixation on a certain CAT and require that as a sine qua non standard, without even considering the fact you can translate a TTX (to mention the most common) in so many CATs that setting a standard is not really necessary.
I'd get angry too, but i blame the lack of knowledge of many customers, not to mention the fears files may not be compatible with their versions. Last year i had a regular customer first putting me in charge for selecting a team of translators, proofing their tests etc., which i did with Studio (them being unaware). Then, at the beginning of the project i was told in their database i showed as a Studio user and so i couldn't take part in the project. I asked what was the logic behind putting me in charge of testing a team and then excluding me and i was told they wanted only translators using Trados 2007. Other customers don't send me a job unless i have a specific version of Trados or Studio. We're bordering into madness indeed.

Maria Popova
Bulgaria
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
Yes, it IS madness! Mar 14, 2013

Hi Enrico,

Thank you for taking the time to discuss that. Actually I love my Studio 2011 and wish I could do all the translation work with it! But some of my customers use Wordfast, other use Accross and memoQ is recently a big hit. I feel I am slowly pushed into bying it.

Cheers,

Maria

Ekaterina Chashnikova
Ekaterina Chashnikova  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
I own one, but use two Mar 14, 2013

Maria Popova wrote:
I feel I am slowly pushed into bying it.

Thankfully, I have never been asked to buy a specific CAT tool by a translation agency. The only CAT tool I own is Trados Studio 2009 (+ Trados 2007), and I also wish I could use only that one. I used Across for some time, but the agency provided it for free. I also use Translation Workspace, but it was also provided for free.
I don't think I would ever consider buying a new CAT tool for a new client.

Gary Smith Lawson
Gary Smith Lawson
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wordfast and MemoQ Mar 14, 2013

I basically bought MemoQ because so many translators were saying great things about it. I find there a few things it can't do that Wordfast can (or perhaps I haven't learnt enough about it yet), though the staff from both companies are equally helpful. It also seems to use up a lot more memory than WF and seems to be, as another forum particpant has said, "more fiddly". I use it now to deal with certain text and file formats etc., but I would certainly say that whatever CAT tool you use, it's b... See more
I basically bought MemoQ because so many translators were saying great things about it. I find there a few things it can't do that Wordfast can (or perhaps I haven't learnt enough about it yet), though the staff from both companies are equally helpful. It also seems to use up a lot more memory than WF and seems to be, as another forum particpant has said, "more fiddly". I use it now to deal with certain text and file formats etc., but I would certainly say that whatever CAT tool you use, it's best to learn how to use one kind of software extremely well. Most translators I talk to don't seem to be aware of half the funtions their software has anyway, including WF users.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you own more than one CAT tool?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »