Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Would you like to have a ProZ.com smartphone application?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Béatrice DEZERALD
Béatrice DEZERALD  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:39
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Definitely No ! Jun 20, 2012

I totally agree with Veronica, Manuela and Interlangue !

Happy translating day !

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:39
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I would much prefer a light/mobile version of the website Jun 20, 2012

which would be accessible through a mobile phone

Cheers
S

tradu-grace
tradu-grace  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
with Clara Jun 20, 2012

same comment:

If I had a smartphone I guess I would like to have a Proz app.

Assuming it would allow to see the posted jobs and directly send quotes.

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Definitely yes Jun 20, 2012

Good news: it's already planned.
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/219253-app_for_iphone_and_smartphone.html
Let's hope this quick poll will speed it up.
Cheers,
Ivana.

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Its not for me Jun 20, 2012

Manuela Junghans wrote:

...that I´m not the only one still living in the past century, not using a smartphone.

And as Veronica said, we tend to spend too much time in front of our computers anyway. So when I´m out and about then I´m out and about for a reason, and don´t want to think about work too much.

[Edited at 2012-06-20 09:33 GMT]

I couldn't agree more!

I'm happy to adopt technology where it makes my work easier, but consciously make an effort to prevent it becoming overly intrusive.

Personally, I don't even use a mobile phone, far less a smartphone. They are far too finicky to be useful for me. In addition, I find them extremely annoying and intrusive. Accordingly, they fail my personal my cost v. benefit analysis test. On the rare occasions that I feel a pressing need for internet access whilst I'm out and about, I will take my laptop with me. Otherwise, I'm far happier to disconnect and relax.

However, as others have pointed out I think that this may be a good idea for interpreters.

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:39
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No Jun 20, 2012

I feel that Proz should concentrate it's programming resources in updating the website, making it more modern, ironing out some of the flaws, instead of devoting these resources to a special smartphone application.

I translate from a PC, not a smartphone.

Luana B. S. Mandarà
Luana B. S. Mandarà  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
No smartphone Jun 20, 2012

I'm one of the few people still not having a smartphone, but probably I'd find it useful in order not to miss some interesting job offers.

Emin Arı
Emin Arı  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:39
English to Turkish
+ ...
first of all upgrade your e-mail server Jun 20, 2012

job post e-mails are always late! sometimes there is one day lag between job post on proz.com and time i receive its e-mail.

smartphone gadget shall be of no use for me.

Filipa Plant dos Santos
Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Portuguese to English
Yes! Jun 20, 2012

I think that most of those who don't have smartphones probably don't need them anyway.

Given that I spend a part of most days sitting outside somewhere waiting while my children are having lessons in something, I'm planning on getting a smartphone so that I don't miss emails for work while I'm sitting in those draughty corridors. Sometimes I take my laptop, but there isn't always wifi, and sometimes I just don't want to take the laptop anyway. Long times away from the desk between 9
... See more
I think that most of those who don't have smartphones probably don't need them anyway.

Given that I spend a part of most days sitting outside somewhere waiting while my children are having lessons in something, I'm planning on getting a smartphone so that I don't miss emails for work while I'm sitting in those draughty corridors. Sometimes I take my laptop, but there isn't always wifi, and sometimes I just don't want to take the laptop anyway. Long times away from the desk between 9am and 6pm - that's the problem!

I'm waiting til the summer holidays to check out my nieces' smartphones to see if they'll do for work, and if they do, I'm going to get one - then I'll need the Proz App!!!
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jun 20, 2012

Am basically anti-smart phone. I see them as useful but expensive gadgets for leisure pursuits - particularly an app my friend has that tells you which constellations you are looking at in the night sky - but I really don't see how owning one would be of any benefit to me whatsoever in my work.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Why not? Jun 20, 2012

I am toying with the idea of getting a smartphone, mainly not to miss those e-mails giving me job offers when I am away from the desk.
I doubt I will use the smartphone for anything else except that - and as a telephone! - for a long time after getting it (which will be soon).
But hey, just because I partially lurk in the Dark Ages does not mean that everyone else should.

Wolfgang Vogt
Wolfgang Vogt  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:39
English to German
+ ...
Yes Jun 21, 2012

Yes, I would like one. There would be a couple of sections I could imagine myself using with such an app.
For example, it would be great if I could update my calender via smartphone and, viceversa, synchronise events I am interested in with my phone.
Responding to job posts would be another obvious candidate. It would be great to be able to bid for a job while on a bus or waiting somewhere.

And after all, if you don't have a smartphone you're not obliged to buy one and u
... See more
Yes, I would like one. There would be a couple of sections I could imagine myself using with such an app.
For example, it would be great if I could update my calender via smartphone and, viceversa, synchronise events I am interested in with my phone.
Responding to job posts would be another obvious candidate. It would be great to be able to bid for a job while on a bus or waiting somewhere.

And after all, if you don't have a smartphone you're not obliged to buy one and use such an app. Same with CAT tools, you don't need to buy them if you don't want to, but others still may consider them useful.

Emin and Richard are right, though. Other, core areas shouldn't be neglected.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:39
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I couldn't have said it better. Jun 21, 2012

Actually, I have deleted the parts of Veronica's comment that don't apply to me, but most of it does. I am seldom out and about, and if I am, I don't want to be thinking about work. With regard to mobile phones in general, for me, it would be very nerve-wracking to think I had to respond to everyone all the time. With e-mail, I can triage incoming messages and respond only to the ones that are business-related or otherwise of interest.

Veronica Lupascu wrote:
I work from home most of the time and my 2 desktops are permanently on. I am sitting at my computer basically all day long. Actually I don't even use my phone that much, and I could easily live without a mobile phone, because I am home most of the times and I definitely prefer email communication with clients and face-to-face communication with friends.

So no, I can't ever imagine myself using a ProZ app.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would use it Jun 28, 2012

Personally, I love using my phone for all kinds of translation/interpretation things. I would like to use it to place bids and receive job offers, check glossaries, answer kudoz questions and the like. I already use it to check e-mails and contact clients when ever I'm out of the office, this would just give me more access while on the go.

I do understand the concerns about not being able to detach from work, but that's why there's an "off" button ^_^

Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes, but... Jul 25, 2012

Only if you're planing to make it for all smartphones.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you like to have a ProZ.com smartphone application?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »