Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you apply different rates for urgent projects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:28
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Depends ... Jun 12, 2012

If on accepting the job I'd have to work outside my normal working hours then I do charge extra. If I can fit it into my normal schedule then I don't.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:28
Italian to English
In memoriam
Urgency is relative Jun 12, 2012

Harald Roald wrote:

as most translation jobs seem to be "super urgent" these days

Only too true but perceptions of urgency can vary. Sometimes clients describe as "urgent" translations with deadlines that look refreshingly relaxed.

There's the other side of the coin too, of course, like the client who rang after lunch one day needing a new version of a menu for an important dinner that evening because the chef hadn't been able to find the fish she wanted!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:28
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Urgent or really urgent... Jun 12, 2012

It happens occasionally to the best clients, and some offer without prompting to pay extra if I can press a job in.
One or two of my regulars do their best to educate end clients, which includes charging extra when a job has to be delivered overnight or from Friday to Monday. I help them out if I can.
If they book me a week in advance for a fast turnover, and then follow the schedule in normal working hours, I charge the normal rate.

Charging extra for rushed jobs is als
... See more
It happens occasionally to the best clients, and some offer without prompting to pay extra if I can press a job in.
One or two of my regulars do their best to educate end clients, which includes charging extra when a job has to be delivered overnight or from Friday to Monday. I help them out if I can.
If they book me a week in advance for a fast turnover, and then follow the schedule in normal working hours, I charge the normal rate.

Charging extra for rushed jobs is also a way of keeping the stress factor down. It sorts the really urgent jobs from the ones that are important, but can in fact wait until someone has time to do them properly.

Clients do not always make the distinction, and some seem to think labelling everything Urgent is a way of getting attention. If they only thought about it, planning and giving the translator time to plan would get them a far better kind of attention...
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:28
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Likewise Jun 12, 2012

John Cutler wrote:

For me, it's one of those "it depends" type answers.

It depends, as Julian says, on when the project is being urgently requested and the relationship I have with the client.

If they give me work once in a blue moon, I'll charge more or simply say no.

If they're regular clients, I may be more sympathetic and say yes without charging more or I may ask for an additional 20-30% if I've already got a lot on my plate but they insist.

I have a long-standing client, who very regularly requests (every week or even every day) small but urgent translations (never on Fridays). We agreed some time ago that I would give priority to his work and invoice accordingly.

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:28
English to Swedish
+ ...
sometimes Jun 12, 2012

If the urgency affects the organization of my time or work considerably, I will charge a reasonable, higher rate to compensate for this. Otherwise I charge as normal.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:28
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Up to a point Jun 13, 2012

The contracts with the international organizations I work for allow a 10% surcharge for work that comes to more than 2,000 words a day. However, that doesn't always mean that there is budget for it. When there is no money to cover the surcharge, I have to decide if the sacrifice is worth it.

When there is money, I also get to choose whether the effort is worth it. I'm more likely to accept a 30,000-word job to be done in 10 days (I've done that) than a 5,000-word job to be done in 1
... See more
The contracts with the international organizations I work for allow a 10% surcharge for work that comes to more than 2,000 words a day. However, that doesn't always mean that there is budget for it. When there is no money to cover the surcharge, I have to decide if the sacrifice is worth it.

When there is money, I also get to choose whether the effort is worth it. I'm more likely to accept a 30,000-word job to be done in 10 days (I've done that) than a 5,000-word job to be done in 1 day. Those big checks put a smile on my face.

I apply the same rule to other clients. If the task is for a LOT more than 2,000 words a day, I usually turn it down.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you apply different rates for urgent projects?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »