https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/213898-poll_do_you_check_the_spelling_and_grammar_of_the_source_text-page2.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you check the spelling and grammar of the source text?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not my responsibility Dec 11, 2011

Ian Jones wrote:

It's not my job to correct the original. I think most people would not check the spelling and grammar. Why would they do that? However, if I notice something is wrong and it's pretty vital, then I inform the client.

Even though it is not my responsibility to verify good grammar and spelling in the original, I only verify precise terminology, typos and very awkward turns of phrase under the following circumstances:

a) The text is in editable, easily accessible format (Word, text, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
b) The text is short
c) The phrase or word is incomprehensible and prevents me from understanding the meaning of the message
d) The typo or term is easy to fix with a search and replace action

My translations will reflect no such typos or incorrect/ambiguous terminology, however.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
only if it's in french! Dec 11, 2011

For translation of course. I do a cursory look or spellcheck in french because sometimes errors can cause confusion or slow things down.
I do a lot of editing of translations and if the source text is, say, japanese, it's kind of out of the question. I get the source material anyways, from the client but the only thing it's useful for is the layout or graphics.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:02
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I write notes to my editor Dec 11, 2011

For example, if misspellings cause ambiguity in the source text, or when the source text contains math errors (e.g., conversion of units). The client / PM will read those comments and then may decide if he / she is going to forward such issues to the end client. More than once such comments did result in an additional task - proofreading the source text at my regular rates. However, in particular when I am working on fast-paced press releases, I am aware of the fact that many of my source texts ... See more
For example, if misspellings cause ambiguity in the source text, or when the source text contains math errors (e.g., conversion of units). The client / PM will read those comments and then may decide if he / she is going to forward such issues to the end client. More than once such comments did result in an additional task - proofreading the source text at my regular rates. However, in particular when I am working on fast-paced press releases, I am aware of the fact that many of my source texts are nothing but drafts.Collapse

David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:02
French to English
sometimes you have to Dec 11, 2011

It has only happened a few times, but if I had translated exactly what was written in the source text the target would be either a contradiction of what the author intended to say, or would be nonsensical. In these instances, I translate what I think the customer means and then check with him/her at delivery.

Most texts contain a few typos, but that's just part of life. I don't think translators should be too snooty when they spot the odd typo. I only 'check' the source text in ins
... See more
It has only happened a few times, but if I had translated exactly what was written in the source text the target would be either a contradiction of what the author intended to say, or would be nonsensical. In these instances, I translate what I think the customer means and then check with him/her at delivery.

Most texts contain a few typos, but that's just part of life. I don't think translators should be too snooty when they spot the odd typo. I only 'check' the source text in instances where the target text would be compromised if I were to ignore the query.

Of course, I do my utmost to ensure that the target text contains no typos and other spelling mistakes, and this is relatveily easy when using translation software.
Collapse

Heike Kurtz
Heike Kurtz  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
I like to keep my TM clean Dec 11, 2011

...therefore I correct typos in source segments. But I only inform the customer if the source text is so badly written it could be misunderstood (or is incomprehensible to me).

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
French to English
How could I not? Dec 11, 2011

I agree with what others have stated that it is almost impossible not to notice errors in the source text. I only inform the client when what I have translated does not match the source text as the source text was in error. This most commonly happens with misspelled proper names or acronyms. This clears up questions by the editor in advance and allows the client decide what to do with the source text. If the error is so bad I cannot decipher the correct French source word/phrase, then I ask my c... See more
I agree with what others have stated that it is almost impossible not to notice errors in the source text. I only inform the client when what I have translated does not match the source text as the source text was in error. This most commonly happens with misspelled proper names or acronyms. This clears up questions by the editor in advance and allows the client decide what to do with the source text. If the error is so bad I cannot decipher the correct French source word/phrase, then I ask my client during translation.Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:02
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
To add to what I said earlier... Dec 11, 2011

David Hayes wrote:

.... I only 'check' the source text in instances where the target text would be compromised if I were to ignore the query.

When the mistakes are obvious and change the meaning of my translation, I follow David's practice--i.e., translate it what I believe to be theauthor's intent and let the client know what I've done and why.

Gary Smith Lawson
Gary Smith Lawson
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Extra service for client Dec 20, 2011

This poll has really surprised me. Checking the source text is part of my job as I see it, and the client always appreciates the feedback. I nearly always send the original back with comments/questions along with the translation. There is nearly always something in the text to discuss with the client anyway; you can put this in the comments. It takes us very little extra time, is useful for both parties, inspires trust in the client and makes our service better. If they decide to ignore our corr... See more
This poll has really surprised me. Checking the source text is part of my job as I see it, and the client always appreciates the feedback. I nearly always send the original back with comments/questions along with the translation. There is nearly always something in the text to discuss with the client anyway; you can put this in the comments. It takes us very little extra time, is useful for both parties, inspires trust in the client and makes our service better. If they decide to ignore our corrections / comments and later have problems with your translation, they have also been warned beforehand in writing, leaving them with little legal ground to stand on.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you check the spelling and grammar of the source text?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »