Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you check your email from your mobile phone?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 27, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you check your email from your mobile phone?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ana Naglić. View the poll results »

Anne Carnot
Anne Carnot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:20
Member (2009)
English to French
yes Mar 27, 2010

When I'm away from the office... it allows me to quote for future projects while on holidays; last year I negotiated rates and deadlines for a long project on a beach in Brittany, it was a bit weird

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:20
German to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 27, 2010

I answered yes, although technically I don't check my e-mail from my phone. My e-mail is delivered directly to my mobile phone. And I don't know how I ever survived without it. I'm convinced that my virtually constant availability has helped increase my workload over the last year or two.

It also gives me more freedom. I can clear the decks and go out for a bit and know exactly when more work has come in and I have to get back to the grindstone again.

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
not yet Mar 27, 2010

But thinking about a Blackberry and a mini-laptop with mobile internet access. I think I buy both. Mobile internet is comfortable anyway, a 10" laptop weighing about 1.3 kg is easy to take with you and costs just 300 Euros or so. The monthly fee for the mobile internet acces of 20 Euros is not cheap on the long term. I'll do some research before I make my decision. Anyone with good advice?

As for this moment, I leave an out of office message, mentioning my cell phne number. I
... See more
But thinking about a Blackberry and a mini-laptop with mobile internet access. I think I buy both. Mobile internet is comfortable anyway, a 10" laptop weighing about 1.3 kg is easy to take with you and costs just 300 Euros or so. The monthly fee for the mobile internet acces of 20 Euros is not cheap on the long term. I'll do some research before I make my decision. Anyone with good advice?

As for this moment, I leave an out of office message, mentioning my cell phne number. It works.
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Back up Mar 27, 2010

Very occasionally if all other methods are unavailable.

Haven't got my head round new Blackberry technology yet and am not convinced that it would be worth the investment in my circumstances.

Heike Prévot (X)
Heike Prévot (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Blackberry Mar 27, 2010

Mon Blackberry ne me quitte pratiquement jamais - après avoir perdu il y a quelques années une "belle" commande parce que je n'étais pas joignable assez rapidement... On reçoit les mails en temps réel, on peut consulter les fichiers joints et surtout répondre rapidement.

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
BlackBerry Mar 27, 2010

I don't know what I would do without it.
One of the few gadgets that are really worth their money.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Other Mar 27, 2010

No mobile phone

Algis Masys
Algis Masys
Canada
Local time: 04:20
Member (2009)
English to Lithuanian
Android OS Mar 27, 2010

I was thinking about the Blackberry too, but finally chose Google's Android (on Samsung Spica phone). So far I'm happy. E-mail is delivered instantly, lots of flexibility, large screen. When I'm at home, the phone connects to my WiFi network automatically and the e-mail notifications are free.

Anna Katikhina
Anna Katikhina  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:20
English to Russian
+ ...
yes! finally Mar 27, 2010

Got a mobile that can do this a month ago. It really has made my life easier

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:20
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
No Mar 27, 2010

I tell all my important clients if I will be away and then divert my landline to my mobile.

They still call me, it's just that I happen to be in an airport lounge at the time.
"Oh - didn't you get my 'Short break' E-mail"
"Yes I did - but it's only a small job."
"Oh, right... It's only a short flight."

Tell less important clients and they suddenly remember that you exist.
... See more
I tell all my important clients if I will be away and then divert my landline to my mobile.

They still call me, it's just that I happen to be in an airport lounge at the time.
"Oh - didn't you get my 'Short break' E-mail"
"Yes I did - but it's only a small job."
"Oh, right... It's only a short flight."

Tell less important clients and they suddenly remember that you exist. Then they call you when you are e.g. trying to suavely impress with your shaky Italian to buy a rail ticket at Santa Maria Novella station in Florence adding: "Is that your radio in the background?"

However, I usually dip in to Webmail every two days or so. There might just be something really important from someone big and new and you have the possibility of explaining to them that a good job is worth waiting a few days for.

Chris
Collapse

MarinaM
MarinaM  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Mar 27, 2010

I assume you are referring to job notifications...

If that is the case, my answer is no. I check emails every day, several times during my scheduled 'available' hours. I don't let work intrude into my private life.

You can contact me anytime.... while I'm available.

; )

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Other Mar 27, 2010

I don't have a mobile phone.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:20
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
other Mar 27, 2010

no mobile but I plan to get one.

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Blackberry Mar 27, 2010

It is much more than an investment. Can have up to 10 email accounts on it, also all kind off chat features, perfect for typing. I am always informed, can answer promptly to important emails or requests and only in extreme situations I carry my laptop with me, connected via teamviewer to my office desktop.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you check your email from your mobile phone?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »