Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you check your email from your mobile phone?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:21
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Mar 27, 2010

I have neither a mobile phone nor a Blackberry.

Most of the time, I am working from home, so I am pretty reachable through my e-mail or home phone. When I am out, it's mostly because I am having fun (visiting a friend, at the pool or beach, holidays), in a meeting (birthday, special event) or interpreting (impossible to have a mobile phone on there), so in none of these cases I will run back home just because I get a message from someone saying there's a job for me. I have already
... See more
I have neither a mobile phone nor a Blackberry.

Most of the time, I am working from home, so I am pretty reachable through my e-mail or home phone. When I am out, it's mostly because I am having fun (visiting a friend, at the pool or beach, holidays), in a meeting (birthday, special event) or interpreting (impossible to have a mobile phone on there), so in none of these cases I will run back home just because I get a message from someone saying there's a job for me. I have already planned beforehand to have that time free. I am not a slave of the work.
Collapse

Celine Gras
Celine Gras  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:21
English to French
+ ...
Yes Mar 27, 2010

Since yesterday Now that I most of the time work on a Mac, I decided to get an iPhone.

Andrea Jarmuschewski
Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Yes Mar 27, 2010

As per yesterday, too! I decided to get a smartphone a couple of weeks ago, when we lost Internet connection for two days after heavy snow falls (which are very inhabitual in the South of France). I chose a Blackberry and am very happy with it!

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:21
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My phone is just a phone Mar 27, 2010

In fact, I'm even thinking of disabling SMS on it.

If I want to check my e-mail, I carry a netbook or go to a cybercafé or photocopy shop.

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Mar 27, 2010

That's because I'm either at my computer or within the vicinity during office hours. Most of my clients either email or call my landline anyway. They kind of expect me to be contactable during these times.

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
BlackBerry Mar 27, 2010

I got an "old" Pearl 8110 model from ebay for around 60 EUR, and it's worth every cent. Now I can reply to emails even if I am not in front of my pc, if I need to.

Valery Kaminski
Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 03:21
English to Russian
+ ...
HP iPAQ Mar 27, 2010

I've had it for over 2 years now and it helped me win projects worth many times over what I paid for it ($ 560). It brought me work when I was away at weddings and funerals, on the beach and in the woods...

Besides, it's so convenient to have dozens of books on it which are always at hand!

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Other Mar 27, 2010

I voted "other", because I do not understand the question concentin "my e-mail"

Harald Roald
Harald Roald  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Norwegian
+ ...
oh, yes! Mar 27, 2010

absolutely! I can respond clients and even quote potential projects while Im at the gym (as I work from home I need a reason to get dressed and leave the house every day).

[Edited at 2010-03-27 20:54 GMT]

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 10:21
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
BlackBerry Mar 27, 2010

Yes, all the time. I certainly couldn't run my business without it.

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:21
Member (2009)
French to English
yes Mar 27, 2010

I recently got a Samsung Moment and I incredibly happy with it. Instead of feeling like a leash, it has allowed me to relax while running errands because I do not have to worry that I might be missing an important message. It takes two clicks and I know if I should a) relax because nothing is going on, b) send a quick yea/nay or request for more info, or c) stop at home between errands for a short job or a more lengthy response. Before this, I found that I would either be anxious about missing n... See more
I recently got a Samsung Moment and I incredibly happy with it. Instead of feeling like a leash, it has allowed me to relax while running errands because I do not have to worry that I might be missing an important message. It takes two clicks and I know if I should a) relax because nothing is going on, b) send a quick yea/nay or request for more info, or c) stop at home between errands for a short job or a more lengthy response. Before this, I found that I would either be anxious about missing non-existent messages or find that I *had* missed something important the one time I decided to relax and take the long way home.Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:21
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No: I'm usually at my desk... Mar 27, 2010

...and don't want to be bothered if I'm not.

In my very long career, I only missed out on one job that I really wanted because I couldn't be reached.

The urgent requests are usually for short rush jobs. I'd rather do longer jobs that I can get my teeth into.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 21:21
SITE STAFF
Networking for Blackberry users Mar 27, 2010

Hi all,

Sorry if it's a bit OT, but I wanted to draw the attention of those Blackberry users who replied here to a topic Lutz has posted, http://www.proz.com/topic/161387

I'm not using my Blackberry to its full potential, but it's definitely one of my favorite toys.

Jared

Lorenia Rincon
Lorenia Rincon  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Go for it! I think it is worth every penny! Mar 28, 2010

Henk Peelen wrote:

But thinking about a Blackberry and a mini-laptop with mobile internet access. I think I buy both. Mobile internet is comfortable anyway, a 10" laptop weighing about 1.3 kg is easy to take with you and costs just 300 Euros or so. The monthly fee for the mobile internet acces of 20 Euros is not cheap on the long term. I'll do some research before I make my decision. Anyone with good advice?

As for this moment, I leave an out of office message, mentioning my cell phne number. It works.

Henk,

I think it is worth every penny. I love my BB, I´ve had one for the past 4 years and I am able to get my emails and reply shortly when a client is waiting for confirmation of acceptance of a job, or even just to reply and tell a client that I will check his document when I get back to the office, etc. I do not let work get in the way of my personal life, but being a freelance I consider it is important that I am reachable to my clients when they need me. I have a "trick" to make sure the emails and messages do not disturb my life: I have the sound turned on to ring only when it is a phone call and I check my BB for messages periodically, this way if I am with my kids, I am eating, at the movies, etc., it will not ring. The best investment in "gadgets" so far!

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Same here Mar 28, 2010

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

...and don't want to be bothered if I'm not.

In my very long career, I only missed out on one job that I really wanted because I couldn't be reached.

The urgent requests are usually for short rush jobs. I'd rather do longer jobs that I can get my teeth into.

I am available over 12 hours a day at the office. When I leave, I want to be really away. During holidays, I check my emails when I run into a cybercafe and have nothing better to do.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you check your email from your mobile phone?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »