although, these days, me not so much...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 17:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Mar 15, 2010

I.e. me, then my clients either accept them or haggle.

Joy Phillips
Joy Phillips
Netherlands
Local time: 17:01
Dutch to English
Me - but I'm flexible depending on how much I enjoy the work Mar 16, 2010

I set my rates. Obviously, there will always be some clients who wish I'd work for less, and sometimes I'll negotiate a lower rate - but it's not just based on how easy or hard the text is, or what the market standard is. In a few cases, I'll accept a slightly lower rate simply because the text is more fun to translate. A two-page script or creative rationale for a TV commercial may be the same number of words as a more densely typed one-page contract, and may even take the same amount of time b... See more
I set my rates. Obviously, there will always be some clients who wish I'd work for less, and sometimes I'll negotiate a lower rate - but it's not just based on how easy or hard the text is, or what the market standard is. In a few cases, I'll accept a slightly lower rate simply because the text is more fun to translate. A two-page script or creative rationale for a TV commercial may be the same number of words as a more densely typed one-page contract, and may even take the same amount of time because of the 'transcreation' aspect, but I enjoy the linguistic and conceptual challenges of the creative text much more. I'm a firm believer in job satisfaction based on work that I love doingCollapse

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:01
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

I voted 'other' : the market + client + me Mar 16, 2010

It is a combination of the three. I certainly set my target rate and also a minimum rate, but if the client goes to someone cheaper, obviously I don't get the job. So, in a sense, the client has the final say. Outsourcers usually have their set rates, I have to have certain flexibility, and the market... well, I see a decline in rates. Probably the only profession, besides the music industry, where rates have either dropped or stayed the same compared to 10-15 years ago.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:01
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The market is exerting a lot of pressure Mar 16, 2010

...and so are fellow colleagues who accept low rates - in the end, they are helping to set my rates, too.

I'm thankful for a few solid long-term clients that pay well - and those rates are set by the client.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Freelancers: who sets your rates?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »