How to prevent automatic change of point/dot (.) to comma (,) in Persian digit strings in Word 2007?
Thread poster: Danesh
Danesh
Danesh
Local time: 14:41
English to Persian (Farsi)
Mar 11, 2012

I apologize for being unable to write in Persian/Farsi here due to technical problems.

When typing Persian/Farsi digit strings containing a point/dot (.) in between the digits, the point/dot (.) automatically changes to comma (,) in Word 2007 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64. For example, typing 33.88 changes arbitrarily to 33,88! How is it possible to prevent this and keep it as typed?
My settings in: 1- Word Options > Advanced > Numeral: Context; 2- Control panel > Region and Langu
... See more
I apologize for being unable to write in Persian/Farsi here due to technical problems.

When typing Persian/Farsi digit strings containing a point/dot (.) in between the digits, the point/dot (.) automatically changes to comma (,) in Word 2007 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64. For example, typing 33.88 changes arbitrarily to 33,88! How is it possible to prevent this and keep it as typed?
My settings in: 1- Word Options > Advanced > Numeral: Context; 2- Control panel > Region and Language > Format: Additional Settings > Customize Format > Numbers > Use native digits: Context.

Thank you
Collapse

Tahmineh Zardasht
Tahmineh Zardasht
Iran
+ ...
space? Mar 12, 2012

It is maybe because of an space used in between: 33, 2
or you may change numbers setting to system for the time being...
you may try word 2010

Danesh
Danesh
TOPIC STARTER
There's no space! Mar 13, 2012

Hi,

1. There's no space typed between the digits at all.
2. As to changing numbers setting to system, I tried that, but it didn't solve the problem.
3. As for trying Word 2010, it's the same; that is, in Word 2010, too, I experience the same problem.

Thanks a million for your kind attention and help.

Mohammad Emami
Mohammad Emami  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
+ ...
Decimal Symbol or Persian Keyboard Mar 13, 2012

Hello,

1. Have you checked for Decimal Symbol in Control panel > Region and Language > Format: Additional Settings > Customize Format > Numbers? If it is ',' you need to change it.

2. If this would not help, use the Standard Persian Keyboard (ISIRI 9147), which will solve this problem and many other problems while using Microsoft Persian keyboard. Please see:

... See more
Hello,

1. Have you checked for Decimal Symbol in Control panel > Region and Language > Format: Additional Settings > Customize Format > Numbers? If it is ',' you need to change it.

2. If this would not help, use the Standard Persian Keyboard (ISIRI 9147), which will solve this problem and many other problems while using Microsoft Persian keyboard. Please see:

http://groups.google.com/group/persian-computing/browse_thread/thread/9bd52f30d6c513b0

or check other sources.

Best of luck!
Collapse

Danesh
Danesh
TOPIC STARTER
Decimal symbol and your link Mar 14, 2012

Hello from me dear Mohammad,

Yes, I’ve already checked for Decimal Symbol. It’s just “.”; that is, there’s only a single symbol: “.” ; that’s it all! There’s no any other symbol there to choose from among.

As to the Standard Persian Keyboard (ISIRI 9174), I don’t know where to find it. The link you’ve provided, unfortunately, doesn’t work. If it’s not too much trouble, please, send the whole content of the link you said to me via email. Thank y
... See more
Hello from me dear Mohammad,

Yes, I’ve already checked for Decimal Symbol. It’s just “.”; that is, there’s only a single symbol: “.” ; that’s it all! There’s no any other symbol there to choose from among.

As to the Standard Persian Keyboard (ISIRI 9174), I don’t know where to find it. The link you’ve provided, unfortunately, doesn’t work. If it’s not too much trouble, please, send the whole content of the link you said to me via email. Thank you very much indeed for your kind help in advance.

Warm regards

[Edited at 2012-03-14 17:44 GMT]
Collapse

Mohammad Emami
Mohammad Emami  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
+ ...
Just type in ',' Mar 14, 2012

Hello,

You don't need to choose from a list. Simply type whatever character you need in that box, e.g. ','

This is the link for the Persian Keyboard:

http://ehsanakhgari.org/sites/default/files/file/misc/persian-keyboard/Persian-1_0_3_15.zip

Good luck this time!

Danesh
Danesh
TOPIC STARTER
The DOT & the link Mar 15, 2012

Dear Mohammad,

Having downloaded Persian-1_0_3_15 (Persian experimental standard keyboard) from the link you provided, I installed it successfully. Unfortunately, it made no difference regarding the arbitrary, automatic change of "." to "," when typing Persian digit strings in Word 2007, and yet it solved my another important problem of Word 2007 when typing Persian digit strings containing slash symbol "/", such as 12/34, 56/78, etc, which would end up in reversing again arbitraril
... See more
Dear Mohammad,

Having downloaded Persian-1_0_3_15 (Persian experimental standard keyboard) from the link you provided, I installed it successfully. Unfortunately, it made no difference regarding the arbitrary, automatic change of "." to "," when typing Persian digit strings in Word 2007, and yet it solved my another important problem of Word 2007 when typing Persian digit strings containing slash symbol "/", such as 12/34, 56/78, etc, which would end up in reversing again arbitrarily and automatically the sequence of the parts before and after the slash symbol. On Mrch 9, 2012, I had posted on the latter problem at:
http://www.proz.com/forum/persian_farsi/220168-sequence_problem_of_persian_farsi_digit_strings_containing_slash_in_word_2007.html

In the matter of typing ".", as I said before, it's already there; and there's no need to type it again. However, I typed it once again, but again without any success.

Thank you anyway

[Edited at 2012-03-15 18:40 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Mahmoud Akbari[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to prevent automatic change of point/dot (.) to comma (,) in Persian digit strings in Word 2007?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »