Off topic: Translation review drinking game
Thread poster: Mark
Mark
Mark
Local time: 15:40
Italian to English
Oct 2, 2014

Welcome to the Other games forum! This forum is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.
Need a quick break from work? In this area translators and language professionals can play games and share material which do not fit in other categories within the Translator playground.

If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

I was talking with a colleague about drinking games (the popular and easy-to-make-up kind where you drink every time a given event occurs with, say, a given TV programme) and it occurred to me that I could pretty easily invent a drinking game for reviewing translations in my language combination that would have you well beyond merry in no time. Here's what I came up with for Italian to English:

1. Comma splice
2. Death by semicolon
3. infatti → in fact
4. allow/enable/permit to (no direct object)
5. Death by parenthetical commas
6. prezioso → precious
7. Extensive and funny-sounding use of "Made in Italy"
8. Italicised English words left in italics
9. ironico → ironic (when it clearly just means "funny")
10. Last/next [a given month] for that month this year

I'd be interested to know what kind of a list people would make for other combinations!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Translation review drinking game

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »