Off topic: iPhone users: a free word game to brighten up your weekend :)
Thread poster: Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:06
French to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2012

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this area translators and language professionals can play games and share material which do not fit in other categories within the Translator playground.

As some colleagues may already know, I wear two hats as both a linguist and a programmer. And combining the two, I just wanted to share with you a new word game I've recently released for iPhone/iPad (and allegedly iPod Touch!).

The game is called "LetterMeister" and you can currently download it for free from the App Store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lettermeister/id501188860?mt=8

I hope you enjoy the game! If you do try it out, then as language colleagues, I'd be particularly grateful if you have a moment to also leave a review/rating in the App Store (which you can do from the 'f' button on the menu screen).

This is my first "semi-mainstream" game for iPhone, so I hope people enjoy! I'm open to constructive criticism (either here if it's allowed, or on the game's Facebook page where you can also leave comments). I'll be keeping the game free for at least this weekend, so do also pass on to any friends who you think might be interested in taking advantage to grab a free copy!

Neil

[Edited at 2012-03-10 17:42 GMT]

Lennart Luhtaru
Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
Thanks! Mar 11, 2012

Looks like a cool game!

but make a version that's also iPad compatible, right now on iPad I have to click the 2X button to enlarge it, and it doesn't look that nice that way

Update: It's now one of my favourite games now

[Edited at 2012-03-11 05:03 GMT]

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 01:06
Member (2011)
English to German
Ermm, ... Mar 11, 2012

Neil Coffey wrote: The game is called "LetterMeister" and you can currently download it for free from the App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lettermeister/id501188860?mt=8

Hello Neil,

Thanks a lot for the offer, but would you also provide me with an iPhone?

Marina

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:06
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Sweet! Mar 11, 2012

Thanks Neil, it's a fun game. My 8-year-old "in-house games tester" played it last night until he got stumped at Level 7, and he quite enjoyed it too.

I would agree with Lennart, though - an Ipad-scaled version would eventually nice.

Neil Coffey
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
iPad version Mar 11, 2012

Many thanks for trying the game and for your comments!

It's definitely on my list to do an iPad version at some point -- as you'll appreciate I'd want to offer the option of having larger boards in that case rather than it just being a hi-res version of the iPhone.

My thought for now was that as the iPhone version will run on the iPad (albeit as you say without any benefit as such from the larger screen), I'm probably going to prioritise a few more improvements to the e
... See more
Many thanks for trying the game and for your comments!

It's definitely on my list to do an iPad version at some point -- as you'll appreciate I'd want to offer the option of having larger boards in that case rather than it just being a hi-res version of the iPhone.

My thought for now was that as the iPhone version will run on the iPad (albeit as you say without any benefit as such from the larger screen), I'm probably going to prioritise a few more improvements to the existing version -- I want to add some more languages, plus possibly add Game Centre integration which seems to be all the rage...

Incidentally, if you get stuck on a particular level, you may wish to trying the "Long" time setting in Options, which gives you about 50% more time on timed levels.
Collapse

Neil Coffey
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another free app in exchange for a review/rating Mar 12, 2012

Sorry for this additional post -- I forgot to say before that if anybody does leave (or has left) a rating on the App Store, in exchange for this I currently have some promo codes for another app of mine, "French Vocab Games". The latter is for high school level French-- obviously not the category of most French speakers here, but maybe you have a friend or offspring currently learning French?

If anybody does leave a rating of "LetterMeister" on the App Store and would like to claim
... See more
Sorry for this additional post -- I forgot to say before that if anybody does leave (or has left) a rating on the App Store, in exchange for this I currently have some promo codes for another app of mine, "French Vocab Games". The latter is for high school level French-- obviously not the category of most French speakers here, but maybe you have a friend or offspring currently learning French?

If anybody does leave a rating of "LetterMeister" on the App Store and would like to claim their free code, I left more details here:

http://www.forum.french-linguistics.co.uk/forum/topics/get-a-free-copy-of-french-vocab-games

However, if you prefer, I'm happy for colleagues here to send me a message via my profile to let me know which country's app store you left your review in. Thanks! N
Collapse

Marilena Berca
Marilena Berca  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:06
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Could we hope for an Android version? Mar 13, 2012

It sounds great but I don't have an iPhone

Neil Coffey
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Android version... Mar 13, 2012

Marilena Berca wrote:

It sounds great but I don't have an iPhone

I've been asked this a few times, so it's looking like yes I'll be porting it to Android at some point. Watch this space!

Neil Coffey
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some more promo codes (and French/Spanish about to be released) Aug 1, 2012

I have a few more promo codes to give away for LetterMeister. If you like word games you'll probably like it. Redeem one of the following in iTunes to get a free copy (first come first served):

7LTXRXXNK3KY
A6K9L94KNPMH
XJTFWPKERM7X
YYR6TW6KRMKY

An update to the game is about to be published in a couple of days' time which will add French and Spanish to the languages you can play in. So if you redeem one of the above codes now, you should autom
... See more
I have a few more promo codes to give away for LetterMeister. If you like word games you'll probably like it. Redeem one of the following in iTunes to get a free copy (first come first served):

7LTXRXXNK3KY
A6K9L94KNPMH
XJTFWPKERM7X
YYR6TW6KRMKY

An update to the game is about to be published in a couple of days' time which will add French and Spanish to the languages you can play in. So if you redeem one of the above codes now, you should automatically get the update when it is released.

(T&C for promo codes: http://www.french-linguistics.co.uk/tc/0015.txt)

[Edited at 2012-08-01 01:28 GMT]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

iPhone users: a free word game to brighten up your weekend :)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »