Only Corporate members may post in this forum

[ATA/TCD] What do agencies/LSP want in a technology tool?
Thread poster: Andre Pellet (X)
Andre Pellet (X)
Andre Pellet (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:45
Jul 25, 2008

All,

During the past ATA/TCD conference, there was an excellent discussion and presentation on the state of current tools in the language industry. The discussion varied from the established players, new solutions, and upcoming open-source alternatives.

As part of the discussion, the audience discussed defining their needs in order to share with tool vendors.

Based on your experience and requirements - what specifc features, solutions do you want in a tech
... See more
All,

During the past ATA/TCD conference, there was an excellent discussion and presentation on the state of current tools in the language industry. The discussion varied from the established players, new solutions, and upcoming open-source alternatives.

As part of the discussion, the audience discussed defining their needs in order to share with tool vendors.

Based on your experience and requirements - what specifc features, solutions do you want in a technology tool?

Thanks,

Andre Pellet
COO
ProZ.com
Collapse

Martin Roberts
Martin Roberts
United States
Local time: 19:45
Member (2008)
English
ownership Aug 1, 2008

I'D LIKE TO SEE SOME UNIVERSAL CODE OF PRACTICE WHICH DEFINES WHAT IS LAWFUL AND STANDARD REGARDING OWNERSHIP OF TM. i DO NOT BELIEVE THERE IS ANY CASE LAW TO GUIDE US AND I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A LAWSUIT. THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE THAT HAMPERS DEVELOPMENT OF SHARING TM. IT NEEDS A SOLUTION TO OPEN THE DOOR TO AN EXPLOSION OF TM SHARING THAT CAN BENEFIT ALL PARTIES. THE CODE MUST PROTECT THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER BY ALLOWING FREE USE THAT IN NO WAY IS A DISADVANTAGE TO THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER. I BELIEVE THI... See more
I'D LIKE TO SEE SOME UNIVERSAL CODE OF PRACTICE WHICH DEFINES WHAT IS LAWFUL AND STANDARD REGARDING OWNERSHIP OF TM. i DO NOT BELIEVE THERE IS ANY CASE LAW TO GUIDE US AND I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A LAWSUIT. THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE THAT HAMPERS DEVELOPMENT OF SHARING TM. IT NEEDS A SOLUTION TO OPEN THE DOOR TO AN EXPLOSION OF TM SHARING THAT CAN BENEFIT ALL PARTIES. THE CODE MUST PROTECT THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER BY ALLOWING FREE USE THAT IN NO WAY IS A DISADVANTAGE TO THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER. I BELIEVE THIS IS POSSIBLE AND WE SHOULD CREATE SUCH A CODE. IT DOES REQUIRE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY EXPERTISE. IF A LAWSUIT CHALLENGE RESULTS, THEN THE COURT DECISION WILL PROVIDE A PRECEDENT THAT WILL HELP US DEFINE WHAT IS FEASIBLE. BUT MAYBE THE CODE CAN BE CRAFTED TO AVOID A LAWSUIT AND STILL ALLOW THE SHARED OWNERSHIP THAT IS VITAL TO OUR FUTURE.

MARTIN ROBERTS
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

[ATA/TCD] What do agencies/LSP want in a technology tool?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »