Importing TM to OmegaT... Can I convert from Trados "Tmw" or "Txt" TM?
Thread poster: Medworks
Medworks
Medworks
United States
Local time: 07:39
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 22, 2007

I have a project to work on over the week-end, and I've received the TM in both ".txt" and trados ".tmw" format.

Neither of which are supported by OmegaT... is there a way for me to convert into OmegaT's ".tmx".

I also have SDLX...

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:39
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Importing TM to OmegaT Mar 22, 2007

You don't say what the txt content of the TM is like; most possibly it's a CSV. Open your OOo calc or MS Excel, or similar spreadsheet editor, import the txt file from the menu insert, I guess... so you'll see what it is: 2 columns for example. Save as CSV with UTF8 encoding.

Take CSV converter, opensource tool from http://www.heartsome.net/, create a TMX in UTF8 format from the CSV file.
... See more
You don't say what the txt content of the TM is like; most possibly it's a CSV. Open your OOo calc or MS Excel, or similar spreadsheet editor, import the txt file from the menu insert, I guess... so you'll see what it is: 2 columns for example. Save as CSV with UTF8 encoding.

Take CSV converter, opensource tool from http://www.heartsome.net/, create a TMX in UTF8 format from the CSV file.

Examine the quality of the said TMX file with TMX validator, also from the Heartsome web site.

That's one of the ideas, in case it's a txt derivate file, but coming from some kind of client's CSV-text format.

dragomir
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:39
English to Indonesian
+ ...
ask the client Mar 23, 2007

easiest way would be to ask the client to send you the tm in tmx.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:39
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You can do this only with Trados Mar 23, 2007

or, like already advised, ask the client to send it in TMX.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
txt to tmx... Mar 24, 2007

send me the txt file and I'll send you TMX back.

Regards

Vito

Medworks
Medworks
United States
Local time: 07:39
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
txt to tmx.... Mar 24, 2007

Thank you all for your replies!!

I tried all of them! Couldn't get the tmx format.

Yes, I also requested the .tmx format from my client, but they were unable to produce it for me! I gues it's time to get Trados!

Thanks Vito! I sent you an email with the file I hope you received it Can it really be done???...

Mar
... See more
Thank you all for your replies!!

I tried all of them! Couldn't get the tmx format.

Yes, I also requested the .tmx format from my client, but they were unable to produce it for me! I gues it's time to get Trados!

Thanks Vito! I sent you an email with the file I hope you received it Can it really be done???...

Martha Patricia
[email protected]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How about aligning the TXT TM? Mar 25, 2007

Martha Campos wrote:
I have a project to work on over the week-end, and I've received the TM in both ".txt" and trados ".tmw" format.

Neither of which is any good to you, of course. But the TXT TM is plaintext, isn't it? So you could just drop it in MS Excel, extract the source and target columns into separate files, and align it using Bligner.

I've recently accidently exported a TM from Trados to TMX. It's very simple to do, but the command for it isn't in an obvious place.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Make it easier for your customer Mar 25, 2007

Exporting a TMX file from Trados should be straightforward. If you look (or ask) around, you should find some explanations. For example, there's one here:

necco.ca/dv/trados.htm#export_trados_memory

Send these instructions to your customer. It's only five minutes of their time but Trados is $800 of your money, so I'd say it's worth trying again.

Another thing you can try is putting the .txt file in a folder and searching it from within OmegaT using the "Sea
... See more
Exporting a TMX file from Trados should be straightforward. If you look (or ask) around, you should find some explanations. For example, there's one here:

necco.ca/dv/trados.htm#export_trados_memory

Send these instructions to your customer. It's only five minutes of their time but Trados is $800 of your money, so I'd say it's worth trying again.

Another thing you can try is putting the .txt file in a folder and searching it from within OmegaT using the "Search Files" option of the "Text Search" function. This is not as convenient as using it as a memory (it won't give you automatic fuzzy matches, for instance), but will at least enable you to find terminology.

Generally though, you should be able to convert the files yourself using Dragomir or Samuel's suggestions. It might be fiddly at first but will be easy once you've figured out how to do it.

Marc
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Importing TM to OmegaT... Can I convert from Trados "Tmw" or "Txt" TM?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »