Thread poster: Harvey Beasley
Harvey Beasley
Harvey Beasley
Local time: 20:10
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
OmegaT Glossary behavior Mar 19, 2007

I have returned...

How can I know if my glossary in OmegaT has been imported correctly?

I made a text file separated with tabs, first column being the source, 2nd the target, and 3rd some notes, as OmegaT calls for, and copied it into the 'glossary' folder.

However, when double clicking on a section of text that included a term that I ensured was in the glossary, the glossary window remained blank.

Is there a way that I can check to be be sure
... See more
I have returned...

How can I know if my glossary in OmegaT has been imported correctly?

I made a text file separated with tabs, first column being the source, 2nd the target, and 3rd some notes, as OmegaT calls for, and copied it into the 'glossary' folder.

However, when double clicking on a section of text that included a term that I ensured was in the glossary, the glossary window remained blank.

Is there a way that I can check to be be sure that the glossary file has been recognized correctly? Thanks for any help!

I have also reloaded the project to be sure that wasn't the issue.

Thanks for any help!

- Harvey
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:10
German to English
+ ...
Glossary recognition Mar 22, 2007

Hi Harvey,

Is your problem specific to the project, i.e. have you seen the glossary working in other projects? Or have you not got the glossary function to work at all yet?

Things to check:

Does the glossary have the extension .tab or .utf8? (Giving it the extension .txt is a common error.)

What is the encoding of the text in the glossary? It should either be the same as the system encoding (with file extension .tab) or UTF-8 (with file extensi
... See more
Hi Harvey,

Is your problem specific to the project, i.e. have you seen the glossary working in other projects? Or have you not got the glossary function to work at all yet?

Things to check:

Does the glossary have the extension .tab or .utf8? (Giving it the extension .txt is a common error.)

What is the encoding of the text in the glossary? It should either be the same as the system encoding (with file extension .tab) or UTF-8 (with file extension .utf8). If in doubt, try both, at the same time.

The glossary only recognizes full words. Are you by any chance trying to recognize Japanese characters? If so, they may not be recognized as words. I think there is a solution for this but I don't know it myself (someone on the user group will probably know).

"Clicking on a section of text" doesn't cause terms in the glossary to be displayed. They are displayed (automatically) if they are in the active segment.

Marc
Collapse

absciarretta
absciarretta  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:10
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Sigh of relief... Mar 22, 2007

I first tried to tackle TRADOS but gave up. And this is coming from a veteran IT Professional. Then I tried OmegaT and within 30 minutes I was translating.

Don't forget to support OmegaT monetarily if you like it!

paul_BNC
paul_BNC
Local time: 12:10
English
Can't get html to import properly Aug 14, 2007

Hi Guys, I am trying out OmegaT and I can't seem to get html files to import properly. I have place the file in the source directory, and have also tried to import it via the menu.

The file does seem to import but it is only reading 3 or 4 segments of a document with 70+ segments.

I have no problems in converting the html to xlz and using OLT to open, but I can not get OmegaT to import properly.

Any ideas?

Paul

Salloz
Salloz
Mexico
Local time: 05:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
How do you eliminate a project and begin it again?? Nov 14, 2007

This is my first time using a CAT--Omega T. As I began typing my translation, I got wrong what a segment is and made a bit of a mess. Is there a way just to erase everything and restart afresh? Thanks a lot!

Salloz
Salloz
Mexico
Local time: 05:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Omega T: Coming along Nov 15, 2007

I solved the problem I mentioned in my previous post. And I think I am learning to use this tool really fast.

I have a couple of questions, anyway:

1) how do you import glossaries?
2) there is a way to force Omega T to make shorter segments?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT ease of... use?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »