Thread poster: Alpár-László Krecht
Alpár-László Krecht
Alpár-László Krecht  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:42
German to Hungarian
+ ...
Aug 24, 2005

Hi,

i have discover, that OmegaT can quit elegant translate PowerPoint files. But after i have import my trados (i use Trados under Win98se) memory, OmegaT don't use them.
The other problem i met was converting the sxd file into ppt.
Can anibody help me?

Thanks a lot.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:42
German to English
+ ...
Trados/OmegaT TMX Aug 24, 2005

Trados, I believe, exports a UTF-16 1.4 TMX while OmegaT works with UTF-8 TMX 1.1 - and a fairly special/simple/minimal version of TMX 1.1 at that.

It may be possible to convert from Trados TMX to OmegaT TMX using a UTF converter and text editors (e.g. Simredo, jEdit, Bluefish) and text stream editors (e.g. sed).

There is
... See more
Trados, I believe, exports a UTF-16 1.4 TMX while OmegaT works with UTF-8 TMX 1.1 - and a fairly special/simple/minimal version of TMX 1.1 at that.

It may be possible to convert from Trados TMX to OmegaT TMX using a UTF converter and text editors (e.g. Simredo, jEdit, Bluefish) and text stream editors (e.g. sed).

There is an online UTF converter at:

http://www.fileformat.info/convert/text/utf2utf.htm

and C code (it needs further coding or a program to call it to work) to convert UTF at:

ftp://www.unicode.org/Public/PROGRAMS/CVTUTF/

I've not had a Trados TMX to experiment with.

[Edited at 2005-08-24 13:16]

I've found another UTF-16/UTF-8 converter (Java based) at:

http://americannationalcorpus.org/tools/

I tried it with a UTF-8 HTML file - it converted it to UTF-16BE

Of course, opening UTF-16 files in an editor such as Simredo and saving as UTF-8 might be expected to work - but reports in other forums have led me to suspect that it might not.

[Edited at 2005-08-24 14:17]

File encoding conversion should be possible on both Linux and Windows with iconv

[Edited at 2005-09-03 09:19]
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:42
English to German
+ ...
OmT handles TMX only Aug 24, 2005

Hello Alpár-László,

OmT can only work with TMX files, that means you have to convert your Trados memory (TMW) to TMX. I don't have Trados and cannot say how this works. There must be some sort of export function available in Trados.

In theory, OmT should recognize this TM if you put it into your project's TM folder.

What kind of error message are you getting when trying to convert your file back to PPT?
Have you translated this file with OmT? If
... See more
Hello Alpár-László,

OmT can only work with TMX files, that means you have to convert your Trados memory (TMW) to TMX. I don't have Trados and cannot say how this works. There must be some sort of export function available in Trados.

In theory, OmT should recognize this TM if you put it into your project's TM folder.

What kind of error message are you getting when trying to convert your file back to PPT?
Have you translated this file with OmT? If so, did you verify that all the source tags are in the target segments?

HTH.

Regards,
Sonja

P.S.
Should you be more comfortable writing in German, please do not hesitate to contact me through my profile.

[Edited at 2005-08-24 11:17]
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
.. Aug 24, 2005

Robert Tucker wrote:

According to Maxym, the main programmer of the OmT project, this issue has been resolved. I never tested it, though.

Sonja

Alpár-László Krecht
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fail to convert - the file was to large Aug 24, 2005

Robert Tucker wrote:

It may be possible to convert from Trados TMX to OmegaT TMX using a UTF converter and text editors (e.g. Simredo, jEdit, Bluefish) and text processors (e.g. sed).

There is an online UTF converter at:

http://www.fileformat.info/convert/text/utf2utf.htm

and C code (it needs further coding or a program to call it to work) to convert UTF at:

ftp://www.unicode.org/Public/PROGRAMS/CVTUTF/

I've not had a Trados TMX to experiment with.

The tmx, with them i try, had cca 33000 TU-s.

[Edited at 2005-08-24 13:03]Maybe i should split in more smaller files.

Thanks anyway.
Alpár

[Edited at 2005-08-24 13:27]

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Importing Trados tmw in OmegaT memory Aug 24, 2005

Szia Alpár,

From within Trados, you can export a translation memory to TMX format. Trados gives you the option of choosing the TMX version when you do this, and you can select version 1.1. OmegaT should read TMX v. 1.1 files produced in this way directly.

If you only have a TMX v. 1.4 file, you can probably make it readable by OmegaT by minor modifications (e.g. changing "1.4b" to "1.1" in the header, and possibly deleting any styles information).

Marc

Alpár-László Krecht
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How? Aug 24, 2005

Szia Marc,
sorry, but i see just 2 options: export as txt or as tmx. (trados 6.5)
I checked in the exported tm, seems to be tmx 1.1. But still not work. If i copy in Tm folder, when i start OmegaT i got an error message: Fail to load Tm.

Thanks

Alpár

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...
Importing Trados tmw in OmegaT memory Aug 25, 2005

Alpár,

A customer produced a TMX 1.1 for me in Trados 6.5 (version number just confirmed ). The function includes an option to select the TMX version.

I checked in the exported tm, seems to be tmx 1.1.

The TMX version number should be clearly indicated in the file header data.

Try this: produce a simple TMX file (just a couple of segments) yourself in OmegaT. Then open this file and the Trados-generated file in a text editor, and compare the two.

Marc

[Edited at 2005-08-25 08:36]

Alpár-László Krecht
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tmx-comparation Aug 25, 2005

Hello Marc,

The only difference i see is: encoding ="UTF-8" (in OmegaT tmx).

To the other hand, in the Trados documentation said that the memory can be exportat as txt or tmx level 2. Is this level 2 the reason?

[Edited at 2005-08-25 09:53]

[Edited at 2005-08-25 09:54]

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...
Importing Trados tmw in OmegaT memory Aug 25, 2005

Alpár-László Krecht wrote:

The only difference i see is: encoding ="UTF-8" (in OmegaT tmx).

What happens when you insert that string into the Trados-generated file at the same point(s)? Can OmegaT then import the file?

To the other hand, in the Trados documentation said that the memory can be exportat as txt or tmx level 2. Is this level 2 the reason?

Level 2 is support for in-line formatting. If the Trados memory has in-line formatting codes, these should not prevent the TMX file from being imported into OmegaT; the formatting information will just be useless, that's all.

Marc

Alpár-László Krecht
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The same error mesage Aug 25, 2005

The whole error message:

Failed to load tanslation memory for project!
Java io.IO. exception. Parse errot in [folder name][memory file name]
org. omega. filters2. Translation exception Unexepted chars {0}(8)
Tag name: header

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Are you sure OmegaT is segmenting by sentence here? Aug 25, 2005

But after I have import my Trados memory, OmegaT don't use them.

Are you sure the reason isn't perhaps that OmegaT segments by paragraph, and Trados segmented by sentence? Perhaps you'll start getting matches if you segment your text for OmegaT by sentence (either by using the Sentseg script or by using the current beta version which can segment by sentence).

Just a thought...

Diana R.
Diana R.
Poland
English to Polish
no errors reported in OmegaT Oct 5, 2005

Hi
I tried to change the header of the tmx memory file, I simply copied it from oryginal omegaT tmx file. It worked. The error message doesn't occure anymore. But, still the memory is useless. It's not the fault of segmentation, cause I changed it into "sentence" and I runed the sentence segmentation macro in OpenOffice first. Then I reopened OmT project, but couldn't get any matches. I don't really know what more I could do... See more
Hi
I tried to change the header of the tmx memory file, I simply copied it from oryginal omegaT tmx file. It worked. The error message doesn't occure anymore. But, still the memory is useless. It's not the fault of segmentation, cause I changed it into "sentence" and I runed the sentence segmentation macro in OpenOffice first. Then I reopened OmT project, but couldn't get any matches. I don't really know what more I could do
Best regards
Di
Collapse

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
too much gobbledy gook Apr 24, 2008

Szia Marc,
sorry, but i see just 2 options: export as txt or as tmx. (trados 6.5)
I checked in the exported tm, seems to be tmx 1.1. But still not work. If i copy in Tm folder, when i start OmegaT i got an error message: Fail to load Tm.

Thanks

Alpár

My experience with Trados exported TMX files is that they have tonso gobbledy-gook in the beginning which is not relevant to the actual translations.
(In the headers or right after them, looks like this:

{\fonttbl
{\f1 \fmodern\fprq1 \fcharset0 Courier New;}
{\f2 \fswiss\fprq2 \fcharset0 Arial;}
{\f3 \froman\fprq2 {\*\panose 02020603050405020304}\fcharset0 Times New Roman;}
{\f4 \froman\fprq2 {\*\panose 05050102010706020507}\fcharset2 Symbol;}
{\f5 \fnil\fprq2 {\*\panose 05000000000000000000}\fcharset2 Wingdings;}
)
It appears to be font settings and other stuff, but, there are often pages of it.
I open the Trados tmx in an editor and just remove all of that stuff, and then am able to load these tms.

good luck
/tony

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
sentence level segmenting Apr 24, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

But after I have import my Trados memory, OmegaT don't use them.

Are you sure the reason isn't perhaps that OmegaT segments by paragraph, and Trados segmented by sentence? Perhaps you'll start getting matches if you segment your text for OmegaT by sentence (either by using the Sentseg script or by using the current beta version which can segment by sentence).

Just a thought...

hey, Sam,

Of course, OmegaT has now had sentence level segmenting for quite some time.
(Although not at the time of this original post).

/tony

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Importing Trados tmw in OmegaT memory

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »