Source language duplicated rather than translated
Thread poster: jonheinly
jonheinly
jonheinly
Bolivia
Jan 31, 2019

I am using OmegaT 4.1.5_3

I recently installed the program on my computer to start using it, and my coworker provided me with .tmx files to provide a base for doing translations of the reports that our organization manages. These are all loaded into a TM folder. When I tried to run a translation, quite a few lines come out as they should have (Spanish to English). However, the majority of the text ended up duplicating in the source language (Spanish) rather than translating into the
... See more
I am using OmegaT 4.1.5_3

I recently installed the program on my computer to start using it, and my coworker provided me with .tmx files to provide a base for doing translations of the reports that our organization manages. These are all loaded into a TM folder. When I tried to run a translation, quite a few lines come out as they should have (Spanish to English). However, the majority of the text ended up duplicating in the source language (Spanish) rather than translating into the target language (English).

For example, lines appear like this:

Insumos de material o alimentos:NA
Insumos de material o alimentos:NA

Does anyone have an idea of what is happening? Thank you.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jon Jan 31, 2019

jonheinly wrote:
However, the majority of the text ended up duplicating in the source language (Spanish) rather than translating into the target language (English).

OmegaT inserts the source text if there is no 100% match. You can set OmegaT not to do that, like so: in OmegaT, go Options > Preferences > Editor, and select "Leave the segment empty".

jonheinly

jonheinly
jonheinly
Bolivia
TOPIC STARTER
That worked! Feb 1, 2019

Thank you! That took care of the problem that I was having. I figured it must have been something within the settings, but couldn't narrow it down.

Maria da Glória Teixeira
Maria da Glória Teixeira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:41
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@jhon Feb 1, 2019

The best way is to configure OmegaT

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Source language duplicated rather than translated

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »