How to use *trados 5 memory* (tmx/txt) with OmegaT 3.5.4.
Thread poster: Simona Romagnoli
Simona Romagnoli
Simona Romagnoli
Local time: 05:19
Italian to German
+ ...
May 16, 2016

Dear all,

I'm trying to learn to use OmegaT and would like to do this with a big memory which I created with Trados (5). Omega doesn't accept the file that i try to open after having copied it in the TM-archive of the OmegaT project.

As I understand it should be a problem between the Trados-format level 2 that is not 100% compatible with OmegaT.

I've tried to modify the format with okapi rainbow but I don't understand how to use it (that my english isn't so
... See more
Dear all,

I'm trying to learn to use OmegaT and would like to do this with a big memory which I created with Trados (5). Omega doesn't accept the file that i try to open after having copied it in the TM-archive of the OmegaT project.

As I understand it should be a problem between the Trados-format level 2 that is not 100% compatible with OmegaT.

I've tried to modify the format with okapi rainbow but I don't understand how to use it (that my english isn't so good doesn't really help...)

Is there anybody who can help me what I should do to get the meory compatible with OmegaT? (I spent all the day without any success!!!!)
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:19
Russian to English
+ ...
try yahoo group May 16, 2016

I suggest you post your question to the users' group on Yahoo, where there are Italian native speakers. That will be easier for you. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OmegaT/conversations/messages
Post your message in Italian, of course.
Also, I'm assuming you're using a Trados output in TMX format, not one of those SDL TMs.

[Edited at 2016-05-
... See more
I suggest you post your question to the users' group on Yahoo, where there are Italian native speakers. That will be easier for you. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OmegaT/conversations/messages
Post your message in Italian, of course.
Also, I'm assuming you're using a Trados output in TMX format, not one of those SDL TMs.

[Edited at 2016-05-16 18:28 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:19
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Try Xbench May 16, 2016

Simona Romagnoli wrote:

Dear all,

I've tried to modify the format with okapi rainbow but I don't understand how to use it (that my english isn't so good doesn't really help...)

Is there anybody who can help me what I should do to get the meory compatible with OmegaT? (I spent all the day without any success!!!!)

I'm not sure what kind of Trados memory you mean exactly, but there is a very high chance Xbench can import it, and then export it as sth usable (e.g. a TMX).

http://www.xbench.net/ (older free version without UTF-8; paid version with UTF-8 support)

MJWB

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TMX, not TXT May 16, 2016

Simona Romagnoli wrote:
I'm trying to learn to use OmegaT and would like to do this with a big memory which I created with Trados 5.

You need to convert the Trados TM to a "TMX" TM. By default, Trados will try to create a "TXT" TM, but it must be a "TMX" TM. I don't know how to it in Trados 5, but in Trados 8 it's like this:

In Trados Workbench, open the Trados TM, and then go File > Export, and then click "OK" and then select any of the "TMX" options.

If you only have Trados "TXT" TMs, then you can use an ancient converter program called "Trados2TMX" to convert it to TMX (I'm not sure how well it will handle Trados 5 TMs):
http://wikisend.com/download/473860/TRADOS2TMX.exe

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 22:19
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
I doubt that you could export to tmx from Trados 5 May 16, 2016

I have worked with TRADOS only from version 6.5 on, so I cannot be 100% sure about the fact that TWB 5.0 could export in TMX.

What is true is that between versions 5.x and 6.x the TM data format and also the user list management changed.

in order to be able to use the 5.x TM in later TRADOS versions, TRADOS itself recommended to export as .txt and then to reimport in TRADOS 6.0 or higher version. To migrate user lists (such as abbreviation and variable lists) is also
... See more
I have worked with TRADOS only from version 6.5 on, so I cannot be 100% sure about the fact that TWB 5.0 could export in TMX.

What is true is that between versions 5.x and 6.x the TM data format and also the user list management changed.

in order to be able to use the 5.x TM in later TRADOS versions, TRADOS itself recommended to export as .txt and then to reimport in TRADOS 6.0 or higher version. To migrate user lists (such as abbreviation and variable lists) is also required. After re-creating the user lists the translation memory should be reorganised in TRADOS 6.x.

The complete procedure is explained in http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/1425.html

I may have a working TRADOS 6.5 demo in my garbage can, in case you need it. Some SO compatibility problems may arise.

Saludos

[Edited at 2016-05-16 22:53 GMT]
Collapse

Simona Romagnoli
Simona Romagnoli
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try your tipps & will let you know... (Trados 5 tmx with OmegaT) May 17, 2016

Thank you very much for your quick answers!!!

Just for information: my old Trados 5 can export the memory in two formats: *.txt and *.tmx.
BUT OmegaT doesn't load the saved tmx-file (error in italian, something like: the reference of unit S has to end with the delimitator ';.?').
I guess the problem is the too old Trados version (5)...

- Samuel: unfortunately TRADOS2TMX.exe doesn't solve the problem. (a.m. error)

- Michael: I'll try Xbench as n
... See more
Thank you very much for your quick answers!!!

Just for information: my old Trados 5 can export the memory in two formats: *.txt and *.tmx.
BUT OmegaT doesn't load the saved tmx-file (error in italian, something like: the reference of unit S has to end with the delimitator ';.?').
I guess the problem is the too old Trados version (5)...

- Samuel: unfortunately TRADOS2TMX.exe doesn't solve the problem. (a.m. error)

- Michael: I'll try Xbench as next step

- Susan: many thanks, I'll write also in the yahoo group

- Jorge: indeed, the problem will be the explained at
http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/1425.html
If I will not have success with Xbench, maybe I could "knock" again at your door and asking you for the 6.5 demo version?
Collapse

Simona Romagnoli
Simona Romagnoli
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Import/export of *Trados 5 tmx* to OmegaT using Xbench (successfull!!!) May 17, 2016

I get it!!!! I have now an OmegaT memory with my old Trados segments. (I have also too much tags but I will try to solve this later)

---------------Now I'm fighting with the export/import of the MultiTerm glossary to OmegaT--------------

Thank you so much fr your support!!!!

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:19
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Some points May 17, 2016

Simona Romagnoli wrote:

You should provide the exact error message, not “something like” (it is a must if you want to ask a smart question [1]) and the OmegaT session log [2]. Ideally, you should launch OmegaT in English [3] and, respectively, provide the message and the log in English. You should also examine the TMX file to see what is the thing that the error message points.

[1] http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
[2] http://omegat.sourceforge.net/manual-standard/it/chapter.files.and.folders.html#user.files
[3] http://omegat.sourceforge.net/manual-standard/it/chapter.installing.and.running.html#launch.command.arguments

[Edited at 2016-05-17 14:07 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to use *trados 5 memory* (tmx/txt) with OmegaT 3.5.4.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »