Marijana Asanin
Marijana Asanin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:41
Spanish to Serbian
+ ...
Aug 21, 2015

Hello everybody,

I have been given by a client bunch of bilingual files to use as a base of my translation and I would like to create a memory with them. Is it possible to do in OmegaT? They are all Word files with source and target text.

Thank you very much

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:41
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
How… Aug 21, 2015

…are source and target texts arranged?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Marijana Aug 21, 2015

Marijana Asanin wrote:
I have been given by a client bunch of bilingual files to use as a base of my translation and I would like to create a memory with them.

(Marijana sent me a screenshot of the files, blurred so that the content remains confidential. The files appear to be two column tables with only one row, with source text in the left column and target text in the right column.)

Marijana, you'll have to manually split up each Word file, and then use an aligner such as LF Aligner to create the TM. This means that for each Word file, you have to create two TXT files, and copy the left-hand text into the one TXT file and copy the right-hand text into the other TXT file, and then use the aligner program to turn the two TXT files into a TM. I think you can also create just two TXT files for all Word files (no need to create two TXT files for each Word file).

Marijana Asanin
Spain
Spanish to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Aug 21, 2015

Like Samuel said, it's a table with two columns, source text on the left, target text on the right.

[Edited at 2015-08-21 08:59 GMT]

Marijana Asanin
Spain
Spanish to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 21, 2015

Marijana, you'll have to manually split up each Word file, and then use an aligner such as LF Aligner to create the TM. This means that for each Word file, you have to create two TXT files, and copy the left-hand text into the one TXT file and copy the right-hand text into the other TXT file, and then use the aligner program to turn the two TXT files into a TM. I think you can also create just two TXT files for all Word files (no need to create two TXT files for each Word file).

Thank you very much Samuel, I was afraid I might have to do something like this. Since I have over 50 files, more than 100 pages each, I think it could take me some time to do it. Do you know any simpler way? Perhaps with some other CAT tool?

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
No need to create text files Aug 21, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
Marijana, you'll have to manually split up each Word file, and then use an aligner such as LF Aligner to create the TM. This means that for each Word file, you have to create two TXT files, and copy the left-hand text into the one TXT file and copy the right-hand text into the other TXT file, and then use the aligner program to turn the two TXT files into a TM.

As LF Aligner can use Word files, creating TXT files is not necessarily needed. You would perhaps "just" have to delete the right language in one set of files, and delete the left language in the other.

Didier

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Don't split, just convert Aug 22, 2015

There may be no need to split and align the files. All that does is make things complicated and introduce errors.
The source and target segments are already paired up, so keep them that way if you can. If the cells of the table are short units (one phrase or one sentence in each) then you just need to convert the files into tmx, which you can import into OmegaT.
One way to do that is to copy the whole table to excel, make sure that you got a well-sorted two-column table there, save i
... See more
There may be no need to split and align the files. All that does is make things complicated and introduce errors.
The source and target segments are already paired up, so keep them that way if you can. If the cells of the table are short units (one phrase or one sentence in each) then you just need to convert the files into tmx, which you can import into OmegaT.
One way to do that is to copy the whole table to excel, make sure that you got a well-sorted two-column table there, save it as xls and convert it to tmx with the tmx converter in LF Aligner. There are other options as well, but this is probably the simplest.
If each cell contains a whole paragraph, then will probably have to align the texts from scratch, depending on how much text there is, and how you expect to use the TM. Whether you can live with a paragraph-based TM partly depends on personal preference.
Collapse

Nahit Karataşlı
Nahit Karataşlı  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:41
English to Turkish
+ ...
Make them CSV Aug 22, 2015

Hi Marijana,

Swordfish can do this easily.

Make them CSV in excel, and import them into SF and export them as TMX.

Regards,
Nahit

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Creating a memory with Word bilingual files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »