OmegaT won't show exact matches
Thread poster: Vaclav H
Vaclav H
Vaclav H
Czech Republic
French to Czech
Jun 23, 2015

Hey everyone and thanks for your help:)

I'm working on a translation of a cellphone manual, so naturally there's a lot of similar/same phrases. That's why it annoys me so much that when there is a 100% match (whole sentence has already been translated in the same project) the exact translation won't pop up in the fuzzyMatches window. Instead there's 5 other fuzzy matches.

Can someone explain me where's the problem?

The sencences are EXACTLY the same (font,
... See more
Hey everyone and thanks for your help:)

I'm working on a translation of a cellphone manual, so naturally there's a lot of similar/same phrases. That's why it annoys me so much that when there is a 100% match (whole sentence has already been translated in the same project) the exact translation won't pop up in the fuzzyMatches window. Instead there's 5 other fuzzy matches.

Can someone explain me where's the problem?

The sencences are EXACTLY the same (font, format, word order, etc.)
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:54
Russian to English
+ ...
I suggest... Jun 23, 2015

...you post your question to the yahoo group, for faster response:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OmegaT/conversations/messages
You should say what Operating System you're using and what version of OmegaT.

I never had this happen, but I'm not an expert.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:54
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It is intended behavior Jun 24, 2015

Exact matches are automatically propagated throughout the entire project, thus there is no reason to show them in the matches pane.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Do you use sentence segmentation? Jun 24, 2015

Vaclav H wrote:
That's why it annoys me so much that when there is a 100% match (whole sentence has already been translated in the same project), the exact translation won't pop up in the Fuzzy Matches window. Instead there's 5 other fuzzy matches.

If the match is truly identical, then OmegaT will automatically put that match into the target field, and then the match will not also be displayed in the Fuzzy Match pane. If the match is a theoretical 100% match but not an identical match (e.g. when the text is identical except for capitalisation), then the Fuzzy Match pane should display that match, along with the match percentage 100/100/100.

The only thing I can think of that will cause your problem is if your text is segmented in such a way that the match you're hoping to get is not segmented the same way as the text in the Editor pane. Is the text you're trying to get a match for the only text in the source field, or are there more than one sentence or additional text in the source field?

Perhaps if you can take a screenshot it would help (post it here or send it privately to one of us).

Samuel

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
My presentation in Czech Jun 24, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

The only thing I can think of that will cause your problem is if your text is segmented in such a way that the match you're hoping to get is not segmented the same way as the text in the Editor pane. Is the text you're trying to get a match for the only text in the source field, or are there more than one sentence or additional text in the source field?

Samuel

Vaclav, you can read Czech text:

http://www.condak.net/cat_other/omegat/2014-04-03/cs/06.html

Milan

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Segmentation - sentence vs. paragraph Jun 24, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
Is the text you're trying to get a match for the only text in the source field, or are there more than one sentence or additional text in the source field?

Another example:

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2015-06/22/cs/04.html

Milan

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT won't show exact matches

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »