Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 4, 2014

Allow me to repost the OmegaT release statement here. OmegaT has three versions, namely a "standard" one (with an up to date user manual), a "latest" one (with the latest working features), and an uncompiled one (with extra untested features). The previous "standard" version was version 2.6.3, but the user manual was recently updated again and now the "standard" version is version 3.1.8.

==

OmegaT standard version 3.1.8
... See more
Allow me to repost the OmegaT release statement here. OmegaT has three versions, namely a "standard" one (with an up to date user manual), a "latest" one (with the latest working features), and an uncompiled one (with extra untested features). The previous "standard" version was version 2.6.3, but the user manual was recently updated again and now the "standard" version is version 3.1.8.

==

OmegaT standard version 3.1.8 was released.

Following version 2.6.3, released in March 2013, OmegaT 3.1.8 is the new standard version of OmegaT. It comes with an updated English manual revised by Vincent Bidaux, the new documentation manager. This new manual is already also available in French and in Japanese.

OmegaT 3.1.8 requires Java 1.6 or later. [If the download option to have Java bundled with it is selected, it] is provided with Java 1.7 for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux 32 and Linux 64-bit.

Compared with 2.6.3, 3.1.8 brings 200 enhancements and 16 bug corrections. The details of changes are available directly from OmegaT, in Help > Last changes. [Here is a list of highlights.]

* OmegaT can now protect text against changes in the Editor. This applies both to tags and specific text in the XLIFF filter. In addition, a number of improvements make it easier to insert missing tags.

* [Three plugins now come as standard with OmegaT, namely (a)] tokenizers for morphologic recognition in fuzzy matches and glossaries, (b) LanguageTool for linguistic checks, and (c) scripting availability, providing automation and quality assurance tools. Previously, ... [these] plugins required a specific installation and sometimes configuration procedure. All the features provided by these plugins are now included in the standard version, most of the time with improvements compared to the original feature.

* In addition to languages supported by Lucene, tokenizers now work in all languages for which a Hunspell dictionary is available (more than a hundred). [Tokenizers improve matching by "understanding" the language's prefixes, suffixes and other grammatical stemming.]

* The scripting features were improved, with 12 scripts available in the menu, and the default scripts included provide for instance configurable and extensible quality assurance and global spellcheck features. Scripts can now be launched on specific events, such as project opening, closing, etc.

* The search window was improved. It is now possible to search in memory (source, translation, notes or comments), in legacy TMs and in glossaries. Last search requests are saved and are recalled by clicking on the arrow on the right of the search field. ["Legacy TMs" is the OmegaT term for read-only TMs.]

* One of the oldest feature requests (#66 from 2005) was implemented: there’s now a search and replace feature in OmegaT. It can work globally or on each occurrence of a searched string, making use of the filtering feature of OmegaT to provide interaction. It is possible to use search and replace on untranslated strings, by copying the modified source text into the target segment.

* There’s a new machine translation connector for MyMemory, with two possibilities: machine or human translations. No registration is needed, but providing an email address gives access to 1000 requests per day instead of 100. [This is in addition to Google, Microsoft, Belazar and Apertium.]

* The Editor now provides [semi-]“auto-completion”. Typing a few letters plus a shortcut give access to corresponding glossary entries in a popup window. The same mechanism can be used to enter user configured abbreviations or “special” characters from a configurable character table. The popup window also contains a page dedicated to tag insertion, with automatic tag pair recognition.

* There’s now a PDF input filter, which extracts text from PDF documents to create a plain text translation. [Note that the PDF filter does not produce PDFs as output files.]

* The SVG filter now also supports Illustrator xml export format.

* To improve Mozilla localisation, OmegaT now supports .lang files, in addition to specific improvements in the .properties, PO and DTD filters.

* Large source documents (for instance, XLIFF files with binary content) load much faster.

* Match statistics are now also available per file, with cross-file repetition information.

* Team projects now detect automatically the type of server used, and provide graphical conflict resolution when the same segment was modified simultaneously by two users.

* The order of source files in the project list can now be sorted manually.

* Matches inserted automatically from external TMXs can be coloured, with additional colours available for specific situations when working with OmegaT projects created by GlobalSight 8.5.6 and above. [GlobalSight is a translation management system used/developed by the Welocalize translation agency.]

* The progress bar at the top left of the editor can now switch between word and percentage display by clicking on it.

* A new connector to the TaaS terminology online service (https://term.tilde.com/) is available. TaaS provides automatic term extraction. Glossaries can be downloaded from OmegaT as TBX files, or used interactively directly from OmegaT.

* Glossaries can now be encoded in UTF-16 LE in addition to UTF-8.

* Most colours used in OmegaT can now be edited in Options > Custom Colours. Colour themes can be provided through the scripting feature.

* In the Project menu, the five most recent projects are now listed.

For this release, the Latest version 3.1.8, although labelled “beta” for practical reasons, is exactly the same as the standard one.

You can download the new version following the directions from
http://www.omegat.org/en/downloads.html
for standard versions.

==

[Edited at 2014-12-04 19:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-12-04 19:43 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
User manual a bit sparse Dec 4, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:
OmegaT 3.1.8 is the new standard version of OmegaT. It comes with an updated English manual...

The user manual isn't fully completed, however. Some of the features mentioned in the previous post are not mentioned in the user manual at all. I suspect the user manual is "up to date" in the sense that it contains no outdated materials, but it is obviously not comprehensive. Fortunately, some of the newer features are described in the "changes.txt" file that accompany OmegaT.

Neirda
Neirda  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:12
Chinese to French
+ ...
Nice job Dec 5, 2014

That will definitely be helpful, thank you so much.

Sadly I still have issues with typing French accents on Debian/Ubuntu (I can't switch to Chinese either). It's somehow related to Java but neither the OpenJDK (which isn't advised, I know) nor the embedded version seem to make those work. No idea why.

Though it's not a huge problem, OmegaT is still quite nice to use.

[Edited at 2014-12-05 01:01 GMT]

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:12
Russian to English
+ ...
Still no compatibility with Dragon NaturallySpeaking? Dec 6, 2014

I realize that Nuance doesn't support OmegaT as a "select-and-say" application, but other CAT tools manage a reasonable degree of compatibility with Dragon, most notably memoQ. Given the large number of translators using DNS, and especially its importance for translators with physical disabilities, I would think the OmegaT developers would eventually give it some attention.

I have successfully used OmegaT with DNS in the past, but recent versions have been so incompatible (due to th
... See more
I realize that Nuance doesn't support OmegaT as a "select-and-say" application, but other CAT tools manage a reasonable degree of compatibility with Dragon, most notably memoQ. Given the large number of translators using DNS, and especially its importance for translators with physical disabilities, I would think the OmegaT developers would eventually give it some attention.

I have successfully used OmegaT with DNS in the past, but recent versions have been so incompatible (due to the notorious repeated letter problem, among others) that they render the combination unusable. If only OmegaT would allow the DNS dictation box to be used, that would improve the situation greatly. I haven't tried this latest version, but previous versions froze when the DNS dictation box was opened while in OmegaT.

For instructions on how to make Windows applications compatible with Dragon NaturallySpeaking and (Dragon Medical), See the guideline document here:

http://www.nuance.com/ucmprod/groups/healthcare/documents/webasset/nd_004978.pdf
Collapse

Kalyanasundar subramaniam
Kalyanasundar subramaniam
India
Local time: 03:42
Tamil to English
+ ...
Standard version of OmegaT updated from 2.6.3 to 3.1.8 Dec 6, 2014

Very useful and informative .Thanks

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Removing old plugins is recommended Dec 6, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:
* [Three plugins now come as standard with OmegaT, namely (a)] tokenizers for morphologic recognition in fuzzy matches and glossaries, (b) LanguageTool for linguistic checks, and (c) scripting availability, providing automation and quality assurance tools. Previously, ... [these] plugins required a specific installation and sometimes configuration procedure. All the features provided by these plugins are now included in the standard version, most of the time with improvements compared to the original feature.

Retaining those three plugins in the /plugins/ subfolder can cause the new version of OmegaT to refuse to run. It is important to remove them, if they are present. You can either remove the files individually after installing the new version, or you can simply remove the entire /plugins/ subfolder before installing the new version (the latter may be simpler to do). To find the /plugins/ subfolder, in Windows, right-click the OmegaT shortcut and select "Open file location".

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
You are more likely to get help in a support group Dec 6, 2014

Pierret Adrien wrote:
Sadly I still have issues with typing French accents on Debian/Ubuntu (I can't switch to Chinese either). It's somehow related to Java but neither the OpenJDK (which isn't advised, I know) nor the embedded version seem to make those work. No idea why.

Have you tried solving your issue in the OmegaT support group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OmegaT/info

Or in the Linux for translators supports group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/linuxfortranslators/info

Didier

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Standard version of OmegaT updated from 2.6.3 to 3.1.8

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »