Chiara Balboni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:36
Member (2012)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 18, 2013

Hello,
I am starting a new project on OmegaT, I have created the project and selected my txt source file (a two column file). The file is present in the "source" directory of the OmegaT project, but OmegaT does not recognise it. It keeps saying that the project is empy because it does not contain any supported format files. I have tried converting the txt file into a doc format, but still no success.
I do not use OmegaT very often. I remeber last time (four months ago) I had the same
... See more
Hello,
I am starting a new project on OmegaT, I have created the project and selected my txt source file (a two column file). The file is present in the "source" directory of the OmegaT project, but OmegaT does not recognise it. It keeps saying that the project is empy because it does not contain any supported format files. I have tried converting the txt file into a doc format, but still no success.
I do not use OmegaT very often. I remeber last time (four months ago) I had the same issue and I found the right tip in a forum (not a Proz.com forum) but I just can't remember how to solve the problem.
Anyone has an suggestions?
Thanks for our promt replies.
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Check the file type and extension Oct 18, 2013

Chiara Balboni wrote:
I am starting a new project on OmegaT, I have created the project and selected my txt source file (a two column file).

Is it a real "txt" file?
When you double click on it, does it open with a text editor (e.g., Notepad)?
Are you sure the extension is ".txt"?
If under Windows, check that the option "Hide extensions for known file types check" is *not* checked.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hide-file-name-extensions#show-hide-file-name-extensions=windows-7

The file is present in the "source" directory of the OmegaT project, but OmegaT does not recognise it. It keeps saying that the project is empy because it does not contain any supported format files. I have tried converting the txt file into a doc format, but still no success.

By "doc format", I suppose you mean a legacy Word file. OmegaT does not open those files. OmegaT does open .docx files (Word files since MS Office 2007).

Didier

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What is the REAL file extension? Oct 18, 2013

Chiara Balboni wrote:
I have created the project and selected my txt source file (a two column file). The file is present in the "source" directory of the OmegaT project, but OmegaT does not recognise it.

We need to know what is the REAL file extension of the file.

Download this little utility and use it to select your file, and report to us what the "file extension" is.

http://leuce.com/autoit/whatfileisthat.zip

Samuel

Chiara Balboni
Italy
Member (2012)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found the solution, but still have a tm problem Oct 18, 2013

Hello, I have checked and it is actually an rtf file. But now I remeber how I solved the problem last time. I converted it into an odt file and now it works.
However, the tm seems not to work. It is a tmx file, I have copied it into the "tm" folder of the OmegaT project, but it looks as though the tm is empty.
I tried using the tm I was given for the previous project batch some months ago, and it works.
I think I should discuss it with the agency.
Thanks for your help any
... See more
Hello, I have checked and it is actually an rtf file. But now I remeber how I solved the problem last time. I converted it into an odt file and now it works.
However, the tm seems not to work. It is a tmx file, I have copied it into the "tm" folder of the OmegaT project, but it looks as though the tm is empty.
I tried using the tm I was given for the previous project batch some months ago, and it works.
I think I should discuss it with the agency.
Thanks for your help anyway.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Checking if the TM is empty and/or works Oct 18, 2013

Chiara Balboni wrote:

It is easy to check what is in a TMX TM and to check if the TM works in OmegaT.

Simply create a new, empty project in OmegaT, and put the TM in the /tm/ folder. Then, in OmegaT, press Ctrl+F, and do a search for "." (fullstop/period). Make sure the option "regular expressions" is enabled directly underneath the search field, and that the option "Search in: TMs" is enabled as well.

If the TM contains anything and if OmegaT recognises the TM, you'll see some results in the results pane.

Samuel

[Edited at 2013-10-18 12:21 GMT]

Chiara Balboni
Italy
Member (2012)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tm empty Oct 18, 2013

Thanks again,
I followed the steps you suggested and I can say the tm is actually empty. The agency's project manager apologized for the inconvenience and he is sending me a new tm file. As a consequence, the delivery deadline has been postponed.
I'll be back in touch if I need further help.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT won't open txt source file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »