Thread poster: Geremia
Geremia
Geremia
United States
Local time: 04:15
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 10, 2013

OmegaT supports LaTeX input format and can export a translated document to LaTeX.

How could I output a bilingual, two-column (original + translation) LaTeX document from OmegaT?

thanks

Tomoyuki Kono
Tomoyuki Kono  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:15
Member (2010)
English to Japanese
+ ...
I don't think such a thing is possible Oct 10, 2013

It's not possible to auto-generate a bilingual LaTeX file. LaTeX is a typesetting program and is more than just a markup language like html and xml. Anyway, even if you could generate a bilingual file with an automatic conversion of the document into a two-column set up, you would be seriously compromising the integrity of the original document. More to the point, the resulting .tex file wouldn't probably typeset and LaTeX would probably return a fatal error with no output PDF (if you use pdflat... See more
It's not possible to auto-generate a bilingual LaTeX file. LaTeX is a typesetting program and is more than just a markup language like html and xml. Anyway, even if you could generate a bilingual file with an automatic conversion of the document into a two-column set up, you would be seriously compromising the integrity of the original document. More to the point, the resulting .tex file wouldn't probably typeset and LaTeX would probably return a fatal error with no output PDF (if you use pdflatex). Just as you wouldn't want a bilingual PowerPoint or InDesign files with formatting and page breaks messed up, it wouldn't make sense to do the same in LaTeX.Collapse

Geremia
Geremia
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
writing a script to accomplish this Oct 11, 2013

Tomoyuki Kono wrote:

It's not possible to auto-generate a bilingual LaTeX file. LaTeX is a typesetting program and is more than just a markup language like html and xml. Anyway, even if you could generate a bilingual file with an automatic conversion of the document into a two-column set up, you would be seriously compromising the integrity of the original document. More to the point, the resulting .tex file wouldn't probably typeset and LaTeX would probably return a fatal error with no output PDF (if you use pdflatex). Just as you wouldn't want a bilingual PowerPoint or InDesign files with formatting and page breaks messed up, it wouldn't make sense to do the same in LaTeX.

Yes, I don't expect OmegaT to be able to do everything. It seems possible to write a script that would take the translation files as input and export a two-column TeX document that could use, e.g., the paracol package.

I've seen other threads here on how to use LibreOffice to make two-column documents from the OmegaT translation files, so it seems I could do something similar for LaTeX using a script.

thanks

Geremia
Geremia
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.TMX files → script → 2-column LaTeX file Oct 11, 2013

I should be able to write a script that would using the .TMX files and create a bilingual, two-column LaTeX file, no?

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:15
English to French
+ ...
It depends Oct 11, 2013

Geremia wrote:

I should be able to write a script that would using the .TMX files and create a bilingual, two-column LaTeX file, no?

It depends on what you call a script, and whether you would write it inside or outside OmegaT.

Outside of OmegaT, of course, anything is possible.

Inside OmegaT, it might be possible to write a script in Groovy or in Javascript. However, if you have the necessary skills, it might be perhaps even easier to develop a bilingual output filter in Java directly inside OmegaT.

Didier

Tomoyuki Kono
Tomoyuki Kono  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:15
Member (2010)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Still not sure why you would want to do that Oct 11, 2013

I am sure one could write a script but why would you want to do that? LaTeX documents often contain complex diagrams, charts, etc. and to try to typeset these in portrait mode would be a nightmare. Even with simple text-only documents, it's not easy to align the text of two different languages. I know because I have typeset 50 or so bilingual volumes containing the original text on verso pages and the and facing translation on recto pages using TeX (not multi-column, actually). I can assure you ... See more
I am sure one could write a script but why would you want to do that? LaTeX documents often contain complex diagrams, charts, etc. and to try to typeset these in portrait mode would be a nightmare. Even with simple text-only documents, it's not easy to align the text of two different languages. I know because I have typeset 50 or so bilingual volumes containing the original text on verso pages and the and facing translation on recto pages using TeX (not multi-column, actually). I can assure you that I'm not trying to rubbish your idea; I just think you should think about the purpose of doing it before going about writing a script or choosing what LaTeX packages to use. The whole issue seems to be irrelevant to OmegaT.Collapse

Geremia
Geremia
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Creating a new file filter" how-to Oct 11, 2013

Inside OmegaT, it might be possible to write a script in Groovy or in Javascript. However, if you have the necessary skills, it might be perhaps even easier to develop a bilingual output filter in Java directly inside OmegaT.
Thank you for this information. There's a nice how-to on "Creating a new file filter."
Merci

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

exporting a bilingual LaTeX document from OmegaT

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »