Neirda
Neirda  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:03
Chinese to French
+ ...
Aug 30, 2013

Hello !

I started using Linux as a working environment not long ago, and tried the latest version of OmegaT.

Stable version works OK, but I am experiencing rather handicapping bugs with the latest version :

- Configuration options, such as "Editing behaviour", among a few others, cause the program to freeze and not respond anymore to any command. "Segmentation" option first causes strange vertical shadows before freezing.
- I seem not to be able to a
... See more
Hello !

I started using Linux as a working environment not long ago, and tried the latest version of OmegaT.

Stable version works OK, but I am experiencing rather handicapping bugs with the latest version :

- Configuration options, such as "Editing behaviour", among a few others, cause the program to freeze and not respond anymore to any command. "Segmentation" option first causes strange vertical shadows before freezing.
- I seem not to be able to access to the french special characters ê/ô, this even after changing the font. Only the letter appears on display without its accent : ô/ê=o/e. Other accents/chars work fine though. Asian characters work fine as well.
- (Trivial) Menus appear black even when the windows are defined black in the system, causing them to be invisible (except "Edit" and "Goto"). This is a problem stable version has too.

Hope that helps and that I can get help.

- Haven't tried to use kaptn yet, don't know it it matters.
- I execute directly the .jar file, because the OmegaT executable won't run.
- Ubuntu 12.04.

My apologizes if I made a beginner mistake here, I am a beginner in Linux, and thank you by advance.
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
JRE/DE? Aug 30, 2013

What’s your version of JRE and of the desktop environment? And what’s your input method for accented characters?

I have no problem using OmegaT 3.0.4_02 in openSUSE Linux 12.3/KDE 4.10.3/Java 1.7.0_22. I don’t type in French, but have no problems with input of German or Esperanto characters using conventional Compose sequences.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:03
English to French
+ ...
No change between the standard and the latest version Aug 30, 2013

Pierret Adrien wrote:

- Configuration options, such as "Editing behaviour",

There has been no change in the way this dialog behaves between the two versions.

"Segmentation" option first causes strange vertical shadows before freezing.

No significant change either.

- I seem not to be able to access to the french special characters ê/ô, this even after changing the font. Only the letter appears on display without its accent : ô/ê=o/e. Other accents/chars work fine though. Asian characters work fine as well.

No change at all in the input system/character display.

I'm afraid your issues do not come from changes in OmegaT, but rather from a combination of JRE/graphic environment.

Didier

Neirda
China
Chinese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New in Linux so... Aug 30, 2013

It is more than probable that it's just me lacking troubleshooting skills...

I run OmegaT (with JRE) out of the box from the jar file. I'll try a regular install and get back to you then I guess.

I use Ubuntu's base graphic environment and JRE version is 6 if I recall well, the latest (I'm not at work, so can't check for sure). About the IME, well I just changed my keyboard settings so I can have the FR/EN combo and Ibus for Chinese.

[Edited at 2013-08-30 23:31 G
... See more

I run OmegaT (with JRE) out of the box from the jar file. I'll try a regular install and get back to you then I guess.

I use Ubuntu's base graphic environment and JRE version is 6 if I recall well, the latest (I'm not at work, so can't check for sure). About the IME, well I just changed my keyboard settings so I can have the FR/EN combo and Ibus for Chinese.

[Edited at 2013-08-30 23:31 GMT]
Collapse

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
The Yahoo support group has Linux users Aug 31, 2013

Pierret Adrien wrote:

You're likely to have more help from Linux users in the OmegaT Yahoo support group.

Didier

Neirda
China
Chinese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem with Yahoo group Sep 3, 2013

It seems my messages do not get posted on the Yahoo group, no idea why, am I restricted in some way ?

With some digging I got to the conclusion that Java was responsible, I was running OmegaT with IcedTea 6/7 and, apparently this "version" of Java doesn't get along with OmegaT.

What I did :
Because the JRE provided by default in OmegaT didn't load for some reason (I'm on a 64 bit architecture ?), I got Kaptain to work and used it to load the latest version of the
... See more
It seems my messages do not get posted on the Yahoo group, no idea why, am I restricted in some way ?

With some digging I got to the conclusion that Java was responsible, I was running OmegaT with IcedTea 6/7 and, apparently this "version" of Java doesn't get along with OmegaT.

What I did :
Because the JRE provided by default in OmegaT didn't load for some reason (I'm on a 64 bit architecture ?), I got Kaptain to work and used it to load the latest version of the official JRE I downloaded myself.
This solved my problem, with the exception of the ôêî chars that for some reason still won't display correctly.
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Font? Sep 3, 2013

Pierret Adrien wrote:

ôêî chars that for some reason still won't display correctly.

Did you try changing the display font?

Neirda
China
Chinese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes I did :) Sep 3, 2013

Anyway if it was a font issue, I probably would get squares or something, there I just get no reaction from the ^ key in my keyboard BUT a copypasta works !

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
First messages on Yahoo are moderated Sep 3, 2013

Pierret Adrien wrote:

First messages are moderated (it means messages must be manually approved), to unsure spammers cannot get through.
You are now unmoderated.

Didier

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

3.0.4 seems buggy in Linux (Ubuntu)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »