https://www.proz.com/forum/omegat_support/247870-is_it_safe_to_use_omegat.html&phpv_redirected=1

Is it safe to use OmegaT?
Thread poster: Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 26, 2013

Hi, folks!

I have found a presumably free CAT Tool called OmegaT. Maybe someone is already using it?

What is your opinion? Will the tool not store my translations somewhere without my knowledge?!

Any other risks?

Thank you all in advance!

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:15
Russian to English
+ ...
safer than sex Apr 26, 2013

It's a terrific tool, and it is not "presumably free," it is free and open source.
Last month, OmegaT was downloaded more than 8,000 times (to bring the total number of downloads to more than 400,000).
The translations are stored on your computer, not in a cloud somewhere.
Read the release note I posted yesterday, from developer Didier Briel, to get a sense of the latest improvements.
Poke around at omegat.org for more information.
The best thing is to download th
... See more
It's a terrific tool, and it is not "presumably free," it is free and open source.
Last month, OmegaT was downloaded more than 8,000 times (to bring the total number of downloads to more than 400,000).
The translations are stored on your computer, not in a cloud somewhere.
Read the release note I posted yesterday, from developer Didier Briel, to get a sense of the latest improvements.
Poke around at omegat.org for more information.
The best thing is to download the latest version, 3.0.0, and try it. If you are accustomed to CAT tools, you will find it easier than most and quick to learn. If you are a newbie to CATs (as I was when I started), there is a steeper learning curve. There's a tutorial on the website for CAT beginners, although it is pegged to a much older version of OmegaT.

Good luck,
Susan
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
PS - Proz CAT comparison tool Apr 26, 2013

This may be useful to you:
http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:15
English to French
+ ...
It's free (as in speech)/libre Apr 26, 2013

Alexander Onishko wrote:
I have found a presumably free CAT Tool called OmegaT.

It's not only free (gratis), it's also free/libre.

The license is here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html

What is your opinion? Will the tool not store my translations somewhere without my knowledge?!

If it did, someone would have already spotted it, as the source code is available.

Didier

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
I see what you mean Apr 26, 2013

Alexander Onishko wrote:

Hi, folks!

I have found a presumably free CAT Tool called OmegaT. Maybe someone is already using it?

Any other risks?

Thank you all in advance!

It uses translation memories in TMX format.
Uses them as separate files but not importing them (there is no such function in software).

If to make an anology for better understanding, you may compare situation with HTML.

You may open a Notepad and can write thousands of HTML codes with it and create websites (only if you upload them after)
Some softwares do this with WYSWYG format with importing them into it.
Some softwares may publish those codes.

Here OmegaT is a Notepad.
An HTML code in Notepad can not upload itself into a server.

The question you asked was my concern too.
Thats why I tried to explain and draw a map in your imagination.

I hope experts will excuse my simple explanations and anologies.

Regards,

M. Ali

[Edited at 2013-04-26 13:41 GMT]

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!!!! Apr 26, 2013

Thank you very much, Susan, Didier, and Ali!

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
The Team project Apr 26, 2013

Alexander Onishko wrote:

With your knowledge OmegaT stores your translation.

If you will download a Team project

http://www.condak.net/cat_other/omegat/2013-03-03/cs/03.html

your translated segments and glossary entry into shared glossary shall be shared by all team members.

If you do not use Team project, you have to send your result translation to customer.

Milan

Marina Herrera
Marina Herrera
United States
French to English
+ ...
And the best of all Apr 29, 2013

And the best of all is that it doesn't highjack MS Word. It operates outside it, which is great for people using Word since it was in its blue screen 26 years ago!
Marina

Oscar Rivera
Oscar Rivera
Hungary
English to Spanish
+ ...
It won't even tap your phone! Jul 29, 2013

As an OmegaT n00b, I must say that OmegaT is a helpful tool. When I first started delving into the world of CAT tools, I came across OmegaT and since it was free I downloaded it (free is a plus!). I tried it, learned the basic of the basics and stopped it there. I tried other CAT tools basically because I needed more features which I associated with colors (I know I was younger).

However, I did a workshop on free tools, among them CAT tools and came back to OmegaT. I learned a few b
... See more
As an OmegaT n00b, I must say that OmegaT is a helpful tool. When I first started delving into the world of CAT tools, I came across OmegaT and since it was free I downloaded it (free is a plus!). I tried it, learned the basic of the basics and stopped it there. I tried other CAT tools basically because I needed more features which I associated with colors (I know I was younger).

However, I did a workshop on free tools, among them CAT tools and came back to OmegaT. I learned a few basic "tricks" like creating a glossary or working with TMs and I picked up where I left off a few years ago.

Yesterday (Sunday), I finished a translation project using OmegaT. I translated some Power Points slides and OmegaT handled them very well. I only had to do some editing as translating into Spanish can be wordier! I am very pleased with OmegaT and a perk over other self-proclaimed CAT tools is that it doesn't have a limited number of Translation Units that can be translated. It's limitless.

Didier Briel wrote:

Alexander Onishko wrote:
I have found a presumably free CAT Tool called OmegaT.

It's not only free (gratis), it's also free/libre.

Didier

Exactly! Free in Spanish can mean without charges or without limitations (freedom!)
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Is it safe to use OmegaT?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »