Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can't open target document DOCX file
Thread poster: dougjkelly
Apr 16, 2013

I'm using Omega-T 2.6.3 and I can't open my target document. It is a DOCX file, and when I try and open it, the following message comes up: General Error: General entry/exit error (rough translation from Spanish). In Spanish it says: Error General: Error general de entrada/salida.
Any advice would be most appreciated

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:58
English to French
+ ...
Have you checked tags/Quite the document? Apr 16, 2013

dougjkelly wrote:

I'm using Omega-T 2.6.3 and I can't open my target document. It is a DOCX file, and when I try and open it, the following message comes up: General Error: General entry/exit error (rough translation from Spanish). In Spanish it says: Error General: Error general de entrada/salida.
Any advice would be most appreciated

Have you checked tags? (Ctrl+T).

Else, is the document open in Word?

Quit the document. Quit OmegaT, restart OmegaT, try again. Sometimes, Windows won't free document (for whatever reason).

If the above is not enough, quit session, and start again.

Didier

dougjkelly
dougjkelly
TOPIC STARTER
No joy :( Apr 16, 2013

Didier Briel wrote:

Quit the document. Quit OmegaT, restart OmegaT, try again. Sometimes, Windows won't free document (for whatever reason).

Didier

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried them all. I do not have Word on my computer, so I sent the file to a colleague who was unable to open it with Word. She said the file appears to be broken. There are no problems with the tags. I restarted Omega-T and restarted my Windows session but the same occurs

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
Are you using "remove tags"? Apr 16, 2013

dougjkelly wrote:

Didier Briel wrote:

Didier

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried them all. I do not have Word on my computer, so I sent the file to a colleague who was unable to open it with Word. She said the file appears to be broken. There are no problems with the tags. I restarted Omega-T and restarted my Windows session but the same occurs

If you are you using "Remove Tags", disable it, and check whether you can produced a readable Word file in target.

Didier

dougjkelly
dougjkelly
TOPIC STARTER
Still no joy :( Apr 16, 2013

Thanks for the suggestion though

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:58
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You should be more informative Apr 16, 2013

Still no joy

does not help understand your problem. Did you really try Didier’s suggestion? Did you turn on tags? Did you check them before compiling final documents?

P. S. It never harms to learn asking smart questions.

dougjkelly
dougjkelly
TOPIC STARTER
Remove tags Apr 16, 2013

This version of Omega-T does not have the "Remove Tags" tool. The translation contains all the tags of the source text.

dougjkelly
dougjkelly
TOPIC STARTER
File format Apr 16, 2013

It may have something to do with the type of file that I used as a source file. I was sent a Word file which I opened with Open Office (as I don't have Word). When it was opened it came up as a 'read only' file. I saved it as a Docx document, which I then used as the source file in the project. The translated file generated is also a Docx file.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Does not fit Apr 16, 2013

dougjkelly wrote:

I was sent a Word file which I opened with Open Office (as I don't have Word). When it was opened it came up as a 'read only' file. I saved it as a Docx document

There’s something wrong. Neither OpenOffice.org nor Apache OpenOffice can save to DOCX (although both can open it). Which exactly program did you use to save your file? In any case, when you use Apache OpenOffice, saving to ODT is the best option available, despite the fact that you can actually damage some formatting.

[Edited at 2013-04-16 12:40 GMT]

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
It does, in Project Properties Apr 16, 2013

dougjkelly wrote:
This version of Omega-T does not have the "Remove Tags" tool.

It's not a "tool" any more, it's in Project Properties.

The translation contains all the tags of the source text.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Didier

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
Go to the Yahoo support group Apr 16, 2013

dougjkelly wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion though

My best suggestion is to go to the Yahoo support group:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT/
and explain your issue, giving as much details as possible.

There are people there to whom you can send your project if needed, to help troubleshoot the issue.

Didier

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No need Apr 16, 2013

Didier Briel wrote:

My best suggestion is to go to the Yahoo support group:

I think, we can sort it out here. The problem seems to be not about OmegaT, but about the program (which?) the asker used for document editing/conversion.

John Holland
John Holland  Identity Verified
France
French to English
FYI on DOCX Apr 16, 2013

esperantisto wrote:

Neither OpenOffice.org nor Apache OpenOffice can save to DOCX (although both can open it).

LibreOffice and the Go-oo version of OpenOffice.org (now discontinued and replaced by LibreOffice but previously used by many Linux distros) both can write as well as read DOCX:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice#File_formats
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go-oo#Filetype_support

dougjkelly
dougjkelly
TOPIC STARTER
Correction Apr 18, 2013

Apologies, I said that I opened it with Open Office, when it was in fact Libre Office Writer 3.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
DO NOT do it! Apr 18, 2013

DO NOT save documents to DOCX using LibreOffice. In 10% of the cases, you’ll have a document with severely garbled formatting, and in the rest 90% you’ll have a totally broken and unreadable document (which you actually have). Do convert your document to ODT, translate, and convert the resulting document to DOC.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Can't open target document DOCX file

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »