Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Can't open target document DOCX file
Thread poster: dougjkelly
dougjkelly
dougjkelly
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 18, 2013

esperantisto wrote:

DO NOT save documents to DOCX using LibreOffice. In 10% of the cases, you’ll have a document with severely garbled formatting, and in the rest 90% you’ll have a totally broken and unreadable document (which you actually have). Do convert your document to ODT, translate, and convert the resulting document to DOC.

Thanks for the advice. I will bear that in mind in future, and I won't be translasting using DOCX files anymore (even though I'd done it several times before without any problems). I guess in the worst case scenario I can copy and paste the translated text from the editor window and touch up the formatting.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:41
Portuguese to English
+ ...
better late than never Aug 13, 2013

Seems like an old thread, but, I thought I would add:

You needn't go through all that hassle copy/pasting from OmegaT to a new document.
You already have a TM for the work you've done.
If you take the initial source document and convert it to .ODT, then stick it in the /source/ folder (remove the .docx, and reload the project), you'll like find that most of it is already translated from the TM. Some segments you may need to slightly rework for differences in tags. Then j
... See more
Seems like an old thread, but, I thought I would add:

You needn't go through all that hassle copy/pasting from OmegaT to a new document.
You already have a TM for the work you've done.
If you take the initial source document and convert it to .ODT, then stick it in the /source/ folder (remove the .docx, and reload the project), you'll like find that most of it is already translated from the TM. Some segments you may need to slightly rework for differences in tags. Then just generate the target document again and you'll have a nice, translated .ODT file, which you can then convert to .DOC in LibreOffice, and done.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Can't open target document DOCX file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »