How should I convert a SDLXLIFF-file for translating it in OmegaT in Linux?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 03:34
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 30, 2013

I have a colleague I have outsourced a job to, and sent him five SDLXLIFF-files to translate in his OmegaT in Linux. But he can't open the files. I tried the SDLXLIFF to legacy converter, and tried all four alternatives for the file format: doc, docx, ttx and tmx. I received an error message when trying to convert to doc and docx, so only ttx and tmx worked. But the tmx-converted files only contain 1 kB each
... See more

I have a colleague I have outsourced a job to, and sent him five SDLXLIFF-files to translate in his OmegaT in Linux. But he can't open the files. I tried the SDLXLIFF to legacy converter, and tried all four alternatives for the file format: doc, docx, ttx and tmx. I received an error message when trying to convert to doc and docx, so only ttx and tmx worked. But the tmx-converted files only contain 1 kB each, so I think that conversion didn't work. And my colleague can't open the ttx file.

I read something about having to segment SDLXLIFF-files before being able to open them in OmegaT. So I wonder if I'm using the right tool for this?

Also, I did the ALT plus SHIFT plus INSERT in Studio 2011 to copy all source to target.

But my colleague still can't open these five SDLXLIFF-files.

This is the error message I get when trying to convert to doc and docx:

http://screencast.com/t/lCsrVeq0I

[Edited at 2013-01-30 17:05 GMT]
Collapse

John Holland
John Holland  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:34
French to English
A few ideas Jan 31, 2013

Here are two ideas, from http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT/message/26677 :

Check to see that the source and target languages correspond to the ones in the Trados file
Make sure the OmegaT user is using the Okapi filters plug-in rather than the OmegaT native one for sdlxliff files

IN addition, maybe it would be useful to make sure the user has
... See more
Here are two ideas, from http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT/message/26677 :

Check to see that the source and target languages correspond to the ones in the Trados file
Make sure the OmegaT user is using the Okapi filters plug-in rather than the OmegaT native one for sdlxliff files

IN addition, maybe it would be useful to make sure the user has a recent version of OmegaT installed.

If none of that helps, I'd suggest posting at the Yahoo forum linked above.

[Edited at 2013-01-31 09:48 GMT]
Collapse

Jean-Christophe Helary
Jean-Christophe Helary
Japan
Local time: 10:34
Japanese to French
+ ...
SDLXLIFF in OmegaT Jan 31, 2013

In Trados, just make sure that you use the "Translation" > "Copy all source to target" function to fill the target field *and* segment the file.

That is important to open the file in OmegaT.

Once you have done that, send the file to your co-worker and there should be no problem working on the file with the default XLIFF filter.

I do that all the time for sdlxliff files that I receive from clients.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »