Giovanna Giudetti
Giovanna Giudetti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:26
German to Italian
+ ...
Jan 10, 2013

Hi everybody,

I am trying to download all webpages of a website in order to import them into OmegaT as single translation project.
I've been using WebHTTrack and WebZip, but the result is not the one I was expecting: the only things I see in the project folder after the download are the chrome icons (in both languages) directing to the home page of the website in offline mode. And if I import the project in OmegaT, only the home page contents are displayed of course. What I ne
... See more
Hi everybody,

I am trying to download all webpages of a website in order to import them into OmegaT as single translation project.
I've been using WebHTTrack and WebZip, but the result is not the one I was expecting: the only things I see in the project folder after the download are the chrome icons (in both languages) directing to the home page of the website in offline mode. And if I import the project in OmegaT, only the home page contents are displayed of course. What I need is to download all single web pages of the website in order to use OmegaT word count tool and not to miss anything while translating.

I have no experience in website translation, any suggestion is more than welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Giovanna
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:26
Russian to English
+ ...
For starters... Jan 10, 2013

The "OmegaT for CAT Beginners" tutorial has a practice session on translating html files from the internet:
http://www.omegat.org/en/tutorial/OmegaT%20for%20Beginners.pdf

This uses Wikipedia articles as examples, but hopefully you can use the same principles for your project. (I tried it on my own website, but only got a few of the files; but then my websi
... See more
The "OmegaT for CAT Beginners" tutorial has a practice session on translating html files from the internet:
http://www.omegat.org/en/tutorial/OmegaT%20for%20Beginners.pdf

This uses Wikipedia articles as examples, but hopefully you can use the same principles for your project. (I tried it on my own website, but only got a few of the files; but then my website has certain weird features, such as using .shtml rather than .html.)

I am the "non-expert"--maybe someone else will give you a simpler answer. You can always search the archives at the yahoo users group or ask a question there, for faster response. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT/

Good luck,
Susan
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Did you download the whole site? Jan 10, 2013

lapercha wrote:
I've been using WebHTTrack and WebZip, but the result is not the one I was expecting: the only things I see in the project folder after the download are the chrome icons (in both languages) directing to the home page of the website in offline mode.

It sounds to me like you did not download the whole web site. It might be that your settings in HTTrack and WebZip are incorrect.

If this is for a paid job, ask the client to send you the entire web site, by e-mail.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:26
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What are… Jan 10, 2013

lapercha wrote:

I've been using WebHTTrack and WebZip, but the result is not the one I was expecting: the only things I see in the project folder after the download are the chrome icons (in both languages)

those chrome icons (in both languages)?

And if I import the project in OmegaT, only the home page contents are displayed of course. What I need is to download all single web pages of the website

This is not related to OmegaT. Check your WebHTTrack or WebZip settings, perhaps you’ve set limit to link following depth and/or downloading pages from other domains.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:26
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Right! Jan 10, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

If this is for a paid job, ask the client to send you the entire web site, by e-mail.

Samuel is absolutely right.

Giovanna Giudetti
Giovanna Giudetti  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 11, 2013

Thanks you!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Downloading webpages

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »