Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 15:46
English to French
Nov 27, 2012

Hi,

I imported Word source files and Omega T said that the files were empty (I checked and they are not)...Could someone help me on this issue please? I use the latest Omega T version.

Good day.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Which version of Word? Nov 27, 2012

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:
I imported Word source files, and Omega T said that the files were empty...

What was the exact error message?

From which version of MS Word are your files? Are they DOC or DOCX files?

Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
About importing source files in Omega T Nov 27, 2012

Hi,

I didn't get any error message but the statistics screen shows 0 words and Omega T says that no files were imported. They are .doc files...MS Word 97-2003 format. Some of them were converted to .doc files using Open Office Writer...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
OmegaT can't read DOC Nov 27, 2012

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:
They are .doc files... MS Word 97-2003 format.

OmegaT can read DOCX files (Word 2007 etc), but not DOC files. If you add DOC files or any other unsupported files to a project, OmegaT will simply ignore it and copy it to the target folder in the end. OmegaT can also read ODT files (OpenOffice.org Writer or LibreOffice Writer).

Crod
Crod
Argentina
Problems to read files with Omega T Jul 18, 2014

Hi! I have been using Omega T for more than a year and I now find the problem of not being able to open PDF files. I have always opened them first with Open Office, then save them in ODT to finally open and read them with Omega T and be able to work on my file. The latest PDFs received have been a problem to work with, for when I save them with Open Office they go through Open Office Draw, and can be saved in ODG only. When I try to import source files in OT I have an error sign that says either... See more
Hi! I have been using Omega T for more than a year and I now find the problem of not being able to open PDF files. I have always opened them first with Open Office, then save them in ODT to finally open and read them with Omega T and be able to work on my file. The latest PDFs received have been a problem to work with, for when I save them with Open Office they go through Open Office Draw, and can be saved in ODG only. When I try to import source files in OT I have an error sign that says either the file has not the format to open it or that the file is empty. The file I am working now opened just a few sentences....Can anybody please help???!!! Thanks a lot!!

[Edited at 2014-07-18 12:22 GMT]
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
OmegaT cannot read images Jul 19, 2014

Crod wrote:
Hi! I have been using Omega T for more than a year and I now find the problem of not being able to open PDF files. I have always opened them first with Open Office, then save them in ODT to finally open and read them with Omega T and be able to work on my file. The latest PDFs received have been a problem to work with, for when I save them with Open Office they go through Open Office Draw, and can be saved in ODG only.

That probably means your PDFs contain images, and not text.

When I try to import source files in OT I have an error sign that says either the file has not the format to open it or that the file is empty. The file I am working now opened just a few sentences....Can anybody please help???!!! Thanks a lot!!

If your PDFs contain images, you have to convert them to text using OCR software first.

Didier

Lehti
Lehti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
OmegaT doesn't like PDFs that much Aug 4, 2014

More generally, OmegaT doesn't get along well with PDF files in general, that's why I always copy-paste their content inside a DOCX or ODT file or convert it to text-only using Tesseract.

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 20:46
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Great idea for working with PDF Aug 7, 2014

Crod wrote:

Hi! I have been using Omega T for more than a year and I now find the problem of not being able to open PDF files. I have always opened them first with Open Office, then save them in ODT to finally open and read them with Omega T and be able to work on my file. The latest PDFs received have been a problem to work with, for when I save them with Open Office they go through Open Office Draw, and can be saved in ODG only. When I try to import source files in OT I have an error sign that says either the file has not the format to open it or that the file is empty. The file I am working now opened just a few sentences....Can anybody please help???!!! Thanks a lot!!

Interesting. Never thought of opening a PDF file in Open/LibreOffice. I think it's a great idea.
I gave it a try by working with a true pdf, i.e., the text can be copied directly, I opened the file in LibreOffice, saved it as ODG, then translated it with OmegaT. After saving and creating the translation, I opened the translated ODG in LibreOffice, exported it as PDF.
Here's what I found:
  • Graphic format is a bit messy. However, positions of graphic, table, diagram are preserved.

• Hard returns/line breaks. Pretty usual in translating PDF directly.

• Font changes. Also pretty usual, cmiiw.

• Text formatting and color are preserved.

I think it can be an alternative to using Infix in translating PDF with OmegaT.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Omega T won't import my source files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »