Thread poster: Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 12:26
English to Arabic
Oct 4, 2012

Dear Colleagues,

I tried to add numbers to the glossary, mainly because I would like to have Arabic digits (used in Latin languages) into Hindi digits (used in Arabic) and I cannot type the latter easily; I can just copy-paste from somewhere else. The entry was actually added to the glossary file using Ctrl+Shift+G and I can see it when I open the glossary file in NotePad. No problem so far.

However, the problem is that the glossary entry is not highlighted or recognize
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I tried to add numbers to the glossary, mainly because I would like to have Arabic digits (used in Latin languages) into Hindi digits (used in Arabic) and I cannot type the latter easily; I can just copy-paste from somewhere else. The entry was actually added to the glossary file using Ctrl+Shift+G and I can see it when I open the glossary file in NotePad. No problem so far.

However, the problem is that the glossary entry is not highlighted or recognized in the "Glossary" pane like other terms which I can see properly when I move to the segment, and I am not sure why. Is it because the source term is consisted of digits only?

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Yasmin
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Numbers are ignored in glossaries Oct 5, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
Dear Colleagues,

You would get a faster answer in the Yahoo support group.

However, the problem is that the glossary entry is not highlighted or recognized in the "Glossary" pane like other terms which I can see properly when I move to the segment, and I am not sure why. Is it because the source term is consisted of digits only?

No.
Numbers are ignored when computing glossary matches.

Didier

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One solution to your problem Oct 5, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
I would like to have Arabic digits (used in Latin languages) into Hindi digits (used in Arabic) and I cannot type the latter easily; I can just copy-paste from somewhere else.

How many digits are there? Ten? Do you know the Unicode codes for these digits? On what operating system are you?

What I suggest is that you run an autocorrect script that types the Hindi digit when you press the Arabic digit's button on your keyboard. It is possible to tell the script to do this only when OmegaT is the active window, which would allow you to use other programs as well without disabling the script each time you switch windows.

Alternatively, since OmegaT doesn't really use the F keys, you can remap (temporarily) the F keys to the Hindi numerals.

Let me know...

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 5, 2012

Didier Briel wrote:

You would get a faster answer in the Yahoo support group.

Dear Didier,

This is fast enough. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Yasmin

[Edited at 2012-10-05 13:18 GMT]

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Unicode codes Oct 5, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

How many digits are there? Ten? Do you know the Unicode codes for these digits? On what operating system are you?

What I suggest is that you run an autocorrect script that types the Hindi digit when you press the Arabic digit's button on your keyboard.

Dear Samuel,

Many thanks!

This should be an excellent solution indeed. The Unicode codes of the Arabic-Indic digits (0-9) starts from 0660 to 0669.
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/0660/index.htm

However, they give different results in each application, apparently because they move beyond 255. According to the Help of AutoHotkey, "To generate Unicode characters, specify a number between 256 and 65535 (without a leading zero). However, this is not supported by all applications."

For example, for typing "1" I tried Send {ASC 0661}, but they do not give the required character.
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/0661/index.htm

I am on Windows.

Many thanks,
Yasmin

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The script Oct 5, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
This should be an excellent solution indeed. The Unicode codes of the Arabic-Indic digits (0-9) starts from 0660 to 0669.

Here it is:
http://wikisend.com/download/459158/arabnums.zip

The script is so simple that it doesn't detect OmegaT, however. You press the Win key while pressing the numbers. It uses a fork of AutoHotKey that supports Unicode directly. Let us know if it works. Try the EXE file, not the AHK file.

Samuel

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Works fine. Many thanks! Oct 5, 2012

Dear Samuel,

Your exe works just fine. Many thanks for that. I highly appreciate your help.

I use the non-Unicode version of AutoHotkey which works fine even for Arabic, as for some reason the Unicode version does not work properly for me.

My only problem was with numbers, but you have kindly solved it. Many thanks!

Kind regards,
Yasmin

[Edited at 2012-10-05 18:56 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Adding Numbers to Glossary

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »