Running spellcheck
Thread poster: Elena Virgilieva
Elena Virgilieva
Elena Virgilieva
Local time: 07:57
French to Russian
+ ...
Apr 15, 2012

I have downloaded spelling dictionaries and unpacked them in the appropriate folder, but spellchecking just doesn't happen. I did activate the automatic spellchecking option. I have tried Omega T 2.3 and Omega 2.5.
Does anyone have an idea of how to make it work? Thanks in advance

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Off the top Apr 15, 2012

elena_patineuse wrote:
I have downloaded spelling dictionaries and unpacked them in the appropriate folder, but spellchecking just doesn't happen.

Off the top of my head, try different ways of writing your target language code (hyphen, underscore, uppercase, lowercase, with or without country code, etc) in the Project Properties (Ctrl+E).

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:57
Russian to English
+ ...
Appropriate folder? Apr 15, 2012

I think there's something wrong here. You don't put them in the "dictionaries" folder of the OmegaT folder tree -- that's for bilingual dictionaries. You don't "unpack" spellcheck dictionaries, but install them directly through the OmegaT program: Options > spellchecking > install. See the users manual.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Unpacking versus Installing Apr 15, 2012

Susan Welsh wrote:
You don't "unpack" spellcheck dictionaries, but install them directly through the OmegaT program: Options > Spellchecking > Install.

No, the spelling dictionaries have to be unpacked. These spelling dictionaries are often distributed as ZIP files, and you need to unzip (unpack) them to use them in OmegaT.

The "Install" feature for spelling dictionaries in OmegaT does not work reliably, since it relies on the existence of repositories that are not in the hands of OmegaT's developers, and whose URLs may change over time. Furthermore, the "Install" feature requires that you allow OmegaT to connect to the internet. If the user already has the spelling dictionaries on his computer, he should *not* use the "Install" option.

I think there's something wrong here. You don't put them in the "dictionaries" folder of the OmegaT folder tree -- that's for bilingual dictionaries.

True, I did not think of that possibility.

[Edited at 2012-04-15 13:22 GMT]

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:57
Russian to English
+ ...
@Samuel Apr 15, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

No, the spelling dictionaries have to be unpacked. These spelling dictionaries are often distributed as ZIP files, and you need to unzip (unpack) them to use them in OmegaT.

The "Install" feature for spelling dictionaries in OmegaT does not work reliably, since it relies on the existence of repositories that are not in the hands of OmegaT's developers, and whose URLs may change over time. Furthermore, the "Install" feature requires that you allow OmegaT to connect to the internet. If the user already has the spelling dictionaries on his computer, he should *not* use the "Install" option.

I don't have trouble with the "Install" feature, and it does not give me ZIP files and I do not need to unzip (unpack) them. There was a point, a couple of months ago, when that window required you to specify a URL to download them from. That confused me for a bit, but then I got one from somewhere (yahoo list?), and now it works fine:
http://openoffice.paris.fr/openoffice/contrib/dictionaries/

Since I have a FIOS connection, it is not a problem for me to be on the Internet all the time. Obviously for people with dial-up, that's another story.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
The automatic procedure does work sometimes Apr 15, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
The "Install" feature for spelling dictionaries in OmegaT does not work reliably, since it relies on the existence of repositories that are not in the hands of OmegaT's developers, and whose URLs may change over time.

The current URL used works fine.

In the "Latest" version, the URL can be changed, and existing repositories are documented:
http://www.omegat.org/en/howtos/spelling.html

Furthermore, the "Install" feature requires that you allow OmegaT to connect to the internet. If the user already has the spelling dictionaries on his computer, he should *not* use the "Install" option. I have complained about this before, namely that the "Install" button should really be called something like "Download", because that's essentially what it is for.

Although the button is still not called "Download", the layout of the screen has been reorganized:
- Clarification of the Options > Spell Checking... dialog
http://sourceforge.net/support/tracker.php?aid=3473630

Didier

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Install feature Apr 15, 2012

Susan Welsh wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
No, the spelling dictionaries have to be unpacked. These spelling dictionaries are often distributed as ZIP files, and you need to unzip (unpack) them to use them in OmegaT. ... If the user already has the spelling dictionaries on his computer, he should *not* use the "Install" option.

I don't have trouble with the "Install" feature, and it does not give me ZIP files and I do not need to unzip (unpack) them.

The "Install" feature downloads the spelling dictionaries and saves them in unpacked format, because that is what OmegaT requires. --

There was a point, a couple of months ago, when that window required you to specify a URL to download them from. That confused me for a bit, but then I got one from somewhere (yahoo list?), and now it works fine: http://openoffice.paris.fr/openoffice/contrib/dictionaries/

Actually, the version of OmegaT that I'm using (2.5.2_1) has a URL pre-filled, and it works fine for my language (I haven't tested it for the OP's languages).

Since I have a FIOS connection, it is not a problem for me to be on the Internet all the time. Obviously for people with dial-up, that's another story.

The issue for me not bandwidth but security. None of the firewalls I've tried so far have ever asked me to allow "OmegaT" access to the internet, but to allow "Java" access to the internet. If I could reliably give OmegaT access to the internet without thereby giving all other Java programs access to the internet as well, I'd be less concerned about this issue.

I have no idea if the original poster has issues with internet access, but I do know that he already has the spelling dictionaries, so there is no need for him to access the internet again.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Didier Apr 15, 2012

Didier Briel wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
The "Install" feature for spelling dictionaries in OmegaT does not work reliably...

In the "Latest" version, the URL can be changed, and existing repositories are documented...

Yes, I wrote my first reply to Susan before double-checking whether the problem still exists in the latest version of OmegaT. Like I said, it now works fine for me. Still, if the user already has the spelling dictionaries, he should be capable of setting it up in OmegaT without re-downloading it.

Elena Virgilieva
Elena Virgilieva
Local time: 07:57
French to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solution Apr 17, 2012

Thanks to everybody for replies!

In the end it was about setting project target language as Fr-Fr instead of just Fr.

I decided to stick to Omega 2.5. in the end. It has an updated link for automatic downloading of dictionaries. In Omega 2.3 this option does not work.

Have a nice day!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Running spellcheck

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »