Can we change the segments of a file opened in an OmegaT project?
Thread poster: veratek
veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 20:54
French to English
+ ...
Apr 13, 2012

Hi,

Suppose I am working on a translation and I don't like the way OmegaT has segmented a sentence. Can I edit the segment (expand it, for example, to include the next line) directly in the main translation window on the left? Or is there another simple way to do it?

I couldn't find a way.

Thanks

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:54
Russian to English
+ ...
Segmentation rules Apr 13, 2012

If it is breaking at a point which is not the end of a sentence, but an abbreviation of some sort (such as Dr. or Mrs.), you can change the segmentation rules to include whatever you need. See the users manual for how to do this.

Any other way of doing it that I know of would be more trouble than it is worth.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No simple way to do it Apr 13, 2012

veratek wrote:
Suppose I am working on a translation and I don't like the way OmegaT has segmented a sentence. Can I edit the segment (expand it, for example, to include the next line) directly in the main translation window on the left?

No, segment expand and shrink is not yet available in OmegaT. So, your options are...

Non-geek method: Go to the source file in the /source/ folder, open it in its usual program, and edit the text (e.g. remove the fullstop between the two sentences you want to merge). Then save, and close that program, and then press F5 in OmegaT.

Geek method: Create a new segmentation rule that merges the two sentences. This will merge all segments that follow that pattern, not just the current two segments.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:54
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You can… Apr 14, 2012

…simply edit the source file in the respective application program and reload the project in OmegaT.

Masako Johnson
Masako Johnson  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:54
English to Japanese
+ ...
Omega T segmentation question, again. Oct 17, 2012

I am starting to use Omega T 2.5.5. I am running it on Mac. Because I am translating from English to Japanese, I selected English in the segmentation rule in setting.
Then, it came out almost no segmentation, but this:

The Mobile Link 2012 folders do not have relative directories on the machine by definition, that is, no “real” folder will be created for each Mobile Link 2012 folder.

All the files are generated to a folder according to your request.
... See more
I am starting to use Omega T 2.5.5. I am running it on Mac. Because I am translating from English to Japanese, I selected English in the segmentation rule in setting.
Then, it came out almost no segmentation, but this:

The Mobile Link 2012 folders do not have relative directories on the machine by definition, that is, no “real” folder will be created for each Mobile Link 2012 folder.

All the files are generated to a folder according to your request.

In the case where you are trying to generate a file with an existing name, you will be prompted to select a different directory.

What happened? What is ? How can I fix this?

Please help!
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:54
English to French
+ ...
There's a tag inside your word Oct 18, 2012

MJohnson wrote:

You do not select the segmentation rules. OmegaT applies the appropriate segmentation rules depending on the source language in the project properties.

Then, it came out almost no segmentation,

Check:
- The source language of your project.
- That "Enable Sentence-level Segmenting" is checked in the project properties.

(Because of a "feature" in these forums, I have replace all lower than and greater than signs with square brackets.)
but this:

[f0]The Mobile Link 2012 folders do not have relative directories on the machine by definition, that is, no “real” folder will be created for each Mobile Link 2012 folder.

All the files are generated to a folder accord[/f0][bk1/][f2]ing to your request.

In the case where you are trying to generate a file with an existing name, you will be prompted to select a different directory.[/f2]

What happened? What is [bk1]? How can I fix this?

Please help!

[bk1] is a tag, just like the other tags ([f0], etc.). To know more about tags, check the documentation.
You do not mention the format of your source document but, based on the name, I think it must be a bookmark.

If you do not want to have this tag inside the word, you can remove the bookmark from the source document.
Note also that some format of source documents allow ignoring the content of bookmark tags. For instance, for OpenOffice.org documents, you can go to Options > File Filters > Options > OpenDocument/OpenOffice.org Files > Options and unckeck Bookmarks and Bookmark references.

Didier

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »