Looking for compatible Stardict dictionary ITEN
Thread poster: Luciana Pandolfi
Luciana Pandolfi
Luciana Pandolfi
United States
Local time: 06:17
Italian to English
Mar 25, 2012

I have recently downloaded OmegaT 2.3.0 update 7. I have downloaded freedict-ita-eng-0.1.1.tar from sourceforge and untarred the eng-ita.dict.dz file. I cannot get it to work. There does not appear to be a StarDict version available. Is there any way to convert it to a compatible version for use with OmegaT? Where can I find a StarDict dictionary or other dictionary that is compatible with this version of OmegaT?

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:17
English to French
+ ...
Some are available Mar 26, 2012

Luciana pandolfi wrote:
I have recently downloaded OmegaT 2.3.0 update 7. I have downloaded freedict-ita-eng-0.1.1.tar from sourceforge and untarred the eng-ita.dict.dz file. I cannot get it to work.

That package does not have an .ifo file, which means it cannot be used with OmegaT.

Where can I find a StarDict dictionary or other dictionary that is compatible with this version of OmegaT?

Go here:
http://pkgs.org/mandriva-2011/mandriva-main-release-i586/stardict-freedict-ita-eng-2.4.2-8-mdv2011.0.noarch.rpm/download/
and download the source package.

The file can then be opened with 7-Zip, for instance (you do not mention your platform).

It contains a folder named stardict-dictd_www.freedict.de_ita-eng-2.4.2, with the three files needed for OmegaT:
dictd_www.freedict.de_ita-eng.dict.dz
dictd_www.freedict.de_ita-eng.idx
dictd_www.freedict.de_ita-eng.idx

In normal circumstances, you do not have to unpack the .dz file.

Didier

Luciana Pandolfi
Luciana Pandolfi
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Windows 7 Mar 26, 2012

I have Windows 7 OS. Any more suggestions?
Thanks

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:17
English to French
+ ...
7-zip works fine under Windows 7 Mar 26, 2012

Luciana pandolfi wrote:
I have Windows 7 OS.

7-zip works fine under Windows 7

Didier

Luciana Pandolfi
Luciana Pandolfi
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 26, 2012

Got it downloaded and unpacked. Pretty limited in its vocabulary but I guess you can't expect too much for free. I might just invest in something a little more comprehensive. Your help was invaluable just the same. Thanks. -L

Teplocteur
Teplocteur  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:17
English to Chinese
+ ...
Try this! Mar 28, 2012

Luciana pandolfi wrote:

Got it downloaded and unpacked. Pretty limited in its vocabulary but I guess you can't expect too much for free. I might just invest in something a little more comprehensive. Your help was invaluable just the same. Thanks. -L

Hi, Luciana!

http://www.lingoes.net/

Try this free dictionary! It doesn't support OmegaT, but it's very comprehensive and you can customize it.

Neyle

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Looking for compatible Stardict dictionary ITEN

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »