BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:58
English to French
+ ...
Aug 9, 2011

Hello All

After trying (and failing) to create an OmegaT glossary from an Excel file, I have realised that what i am trying to do is actually to enter my list of 210 terms in the TM of OmegaT.

Solution one: enter each segment translation by hand and let OmegaT populate the memory
Solution two: find a simple converter to turn my list into a file that can be used by OmegaT. Looks like you can add a .tmx file to the folders of a project.

Found a
... See more
Hello All

After trying (and failing) to create an OmegaT glossary from an Excel file, I have realised that what i am trying to do is actually to enter my list of 210 terms in the TM of OmegaT.

Solution one: enter each segment translation by hand and let OmegaT populate the memory
Solution two: find a simple converter to turn my list into a file that can be used by OmegaT. Looks like you can add a .tmx file to the folders of a project.

Found a few site that seemingly used to offer such a converter but no longer do or Windows apps - and i am using a Mac.

Any idea on a simple way to convert my Excel source/target list into a .tmx on a Mac?

Thanks.

Jean
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 01:58
English to Turkish
+ ...
TMBuilder Aug 10, 2011

There is one but for Windows, possibly it will not help. Anyway, have a look at this site http://ankudowicz.com/tmbuilder/

Selcuk

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 00:58
German to Swedish
+ ...
Yes Aug 10, 2011

I'm working on a full-featured TMX editor for MacOSX that can do this easily and much more.

It's not even in the alpha stage and MacOS 10.5 and up required.
I could e-mail you a link to the app off-forum, and some instructions. But it's not a production-quality application yet.

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fab idea, Joakim Aug 10, 2011

Hello Joakim

Looks like a v. good idea. I found tons of old links to such TM makers, some of them out of date, some of them closed because they are now part of a commercial app.

And as usual for such narrow markets, not much at all in terms of apps for Mac (or cross platform).

If you a re kindly willing to help, I'll be happy to hear from you at [email protected] (a disposab
... See more
Hello Joakim

Looks like a v. good idea. I found tons of old links to such TM makers, some of them out of date, some of them closed because they are now part of a commercial app.

And as usual for such narrow markets, not much at all in terms of apps for Mac (or cross platform).

If you a re kindly willing to help, I'll be happy to hear from you at [email protected] (a disposable address for contact only)

Thx and take care.
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
aligner Aug 10, 2011

One of the scripts of the aligner package can convert a CSV file to a TMX suitable for OmegaT.

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Link sent Aug 10, 2011

I've e-mailed you a link to my prerelease application, TMXX.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TMX maker Aug 10, 2011

Here's my cross-platform TMX maker for Windows, Mac and Linux.
The TMX maker is in aligner/other_tools.

Save your xls as a tab delimited txt encoded in UTF-8, start the TMX maker and follow the prompts. You can add a "Note" text field to each segment (i.e. the name of the source document).

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thx, Esperantisto and FarkasAndras Aug 10, 2011

Pheeew, gave a look to Aligner, seems like a lot of work went into developing this utility.

Once you venture out of packaged commercial apps (which i have not done yet but get an inkling these guys try to keep their client base as captive as they can by offering their own proprietary utilities), there is a big world out there.

I'll give Aligner a go later and will also try Joakim's utility.

This can be really important for me as i have an enormous corpus
... See more
Pheeew, gave a look to Aligner, seems like a lot of work went into developing this utility.

Once you venture out of packaged commercial apps (which i have not done yet but get an inkling these guys try to keep their client base as captive as they can by offering their own proprietary utilities), there is a big world out there.

I'll give Aligner a go later and will also try Joakim's utility.

This can be really important for me as i have an enormous corpus of glossary contained in Word files (source and target), and these files are normally near enough carbon copies of each other in terms of layout.

So Aligner could be a very clever way of building my own tmx using my heritage Word files.

Again, thanks not only for the help, but for offering me to take the red pill – and see how deep the rabbit hole really is.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TM vs glossary Aug 10, 2011

BabelOn-line wrote:

This can be really important for me as i have an enormous corpus of glossary contained in Word files (source and target), and these files are normally near enough carbon copies of each other in terms of layout.

So Aligner could be a very clever way of building my own tmx using my heritage Word files.

Well, it should certainly be possible to process/convert your material with some mix of automatization and manual work.

If you have glossaries (term pairs) and not text or sentence pairs, you should probably import them to a termbase, not a TM. I can see that you tried that initially and then abandoned that idea and went the TM route... you should probably rethink that. Single words and terms are best placed in a glossary/termbase.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aligner in OmegaT Aug 10, 2011

esperantisto wrote:

One of the scripts of the aligner package can convert a CSV file to a TMX suitable for OmegaT.

Which tool is that? "Aligner" by Dmitri Gabinski or "Bligner" by Didier Briel? I've had a look at the source codes, they are both really simple, almost primitive tools - especially the first. They also require a bit of programming knowledge to use. I'd say the TMX maker in LF aligner is both more advanced in terms of functionality and more user friendly - although my opinion might be a bit biased;)

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
[Hype] Xoterm - TMX Viewer for MacOSX Aug 10, 2011

As an aside, permit me to plug my TMX Viewer for MacOSX: http://jfbraun.com/xoterm

(It doesn't create or edit TMX files.)

[Bearbeitet am 2011-08-10 15:36 GMT]

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many, many thx for all this! Aug 10, 2011

Thx guys for all these inputs.

To tell you the truth, it will take me a bit of time to digest all this info.

For instance, i (only now) realise that I don't even know precisely if i am after a .tmx builder or a glossary builder. Yes, i am that ignorant of all things TM.

In any case, all these posts are v. useful as 1/ the bigger picture starts to emerge 2/ they give me plenty of leads to follow on at a later stage. The idea of reusing my archive source/tar
... See more
Thx guys for all these inputs.

To tell you the truth, it will take me a bit of time to digest all this info.

For instance, i (only now) realise that I don't even know precisely if i am after a .tmx builder or a glossary builder. Yes, i am that ignorant of all things TM.

In any case, all these posts are v. useful as 1/ the bigger picture starts to emerge 2/ they give me plenty of leads to follow on at a later stage. The idea of reusing my archive source/target Word files to create my own TMs (we do a lot of automotive into French) is really interesting, for one.

Also, i now start to fathom the possibilities there are to work directly on e.g. InDesign files, bypassing the "copy into Word / translate / copy back into inDesign" stage. In my area of business, this is still very much the way it is done!

Food for thoughts and sharp learning curve ahead.

As usual with most software, you have the packaged, commercial app route (with, i imagine, nice GUI, candy colours and nicer ergonomics) and the freeware route (you can look under the hood and do what you want but you are flying solo and by hand, mate).

Again, thanks for your pointers regarding a tmx builder.
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Aligner which is aligner. Aug 11, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

Which tool is that? "Aligner" by Dmitri Gabinski

This one.

they are both really simple, almost primitive tools - especially the first.

KISS

They also require a bit of programming knowledge to use.

None except for hacking language codes.

I'd say the TMX maker in LF aligner is both more advanced in terms of functionality and more user friendly

Perhaps. But the scripts just perform what they are required and intended to do.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Converter Excel to .tmx for Mac

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »