Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Step by step to creating a glossary from Excel file?
Thread poster: BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:32
English to French
+ ...
Aug 9, 2011

Hello All

This seems to be a classic topic, sorry if this has been asked before – I have done reasonable homework, RTM the OmegaT manual (in Help) but no joy.

I am going mad thinking that i am probably that close from being able to use the glossary.

Also, i started using TM and OmegaT two days ago altogether. Very happy with first foray, but now see the tantalizing possibility of OmegaT slicing through thousand of repeat cells.

... See more
Hello All

This seems to be a classic topic, sorry if this has been asked before – I have done reasonable homework, RTM the OmegaT manual (in Help) but no joy.

I am going mad thinking that i am probably that close from being able to use the glossary.

Also, i started using TM and OmegaT two days ago altogether. Very happy with first foray, but now see the tantalizing possibility of OmegaT slicing through thousand of repeat cells.

1/ I have 210 entries ready in an Excel file (one source column and one target column, cells for 3rd remarks column are all blank).

2/ I have converted my xls file into a .csv format one (making sure i used utf8 encoding, coma delimitation and ")

3/ I have put this .csv in the glossary folder of my project, restarted OmegaT but no joy. I have tried the conversion with .csv using Excel, then using OpenOffice, but no luck.

4/ I have even tried to import the coma delimited file on OpenOffice Writer to try to make an equivalent .txt or .utf8 and try to fool OmegaT but no way.

Would anyone please please tell me where i can find a clear step by step guide - or tell me in plain English - how to convert this Excel file into a working OmegaT glossary?

Config: using a Mac with OmegaT 2.3.0, OpenOffice version3, Excel 2008 for Mac,
Also using Overworked Frenchman Fried Brains version 1.0 (not updated since 1964) and Morphy Richard's coffee machine to try to power myself through this hellish project.
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:32
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try other options Aug 9, 2011

1. Save the Excel file to CSV with tab for the field delimiter and nothing for the text delimiter (UTF-8 for the encoding, but you know it).
2. Change the file name extension to .txt or .utf8.

Or copy the contents to the clipboard (do you have a clipboard in Mac?) and paste to Writer or Word as unformatted text. Then save as text encoded/UTF-8.

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thx esperantisto Aug 9, 2011

I have tried and tried but no luck.

Thanks for your help anyway.

I also realised that what i want is not so much creating a glossary (which still is very usefull) as much as creating a tmx file. No idea if this can be done, but some more manual reading to do.

OmegaT is not a looker, but it does quite a lot, especially for the price.

Again, thanks for trying

Manticore (X)
Manticore (X)  Identity Verified

Local time: 22:32
English to German
+ ...
Two questions Aug 10, 2011

Does your source file have occurrences of terms that are listed in your glossary? If not, you won't see anything in the glossary window.
If yes, it could still be that you don't see anything since OmegaT only "sees" 100% matches. If a word to be translated is in plural and the term in your glossary is in singular you won't see anything. Solution: Download and install Tokenizer in the plugins folder of the OmegaT installation. Instruction are supplied as well.

Good Luck
<
... See more
Does your source file have occurrences of terms that are listed in your glossary? If not, you won't see anything in the glossary window.
If yes, it could still be that you don't see anything since OmegaT only "sees" 100% matches. If a word to be translated is in plural and the term in your glossary is in singular you won't see anything. Solution: Download and install Tokenizer in the plugins folder of the OmegaT installation. Instruction are supplied as well.

Good Luck

manticore
Collapse

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Manticore Aug 10, 2011

Yes, i have terms that are repeated quite often in the source, no plural problem. These 200+ terms i have are stuff like "coffee table", "ceiling lamp", etc... It is simply the case that i did not manage to create a file that's "seen" as a glossary by OmegaT.

Actually, I later tried to create a .tmx from this same Excel file using TMBuilder – I took me time to realise that this was what i wanted to achieve in the first place, silly me –  but no luck.

I guess that
... See more
Yes, i have terms that are repeated quite often in the source, no plural problem. These 200+ terms i have are stuff like "coffee table", "ceiling lamp", etc... It is simply the case that i did not manage to create a file that's "seen" as a glossary by OmegaT.

Actually, I later tried to create a .tmx from this same Excel file using TMBuilder – I took me time to realise that this was what i wanted to achieve in the first place, silly me –  but no luck.

I guess that TM and OmegaT not only needs quite some serious RTM, but also some practice and the help of proficient users.

So i am now going to use my existing Excel glossary, input new terms by hand and let OmegaT learn the new segments and populate its own tmx.

Too bad for the "one lightsabre fell swop" approach But pedestrian does it.

Thanks for your help.
Collapse

Marina Herrera
Marina Herrera
United States
Local time: 16:32
French to English
+ ...
try lf-aligner Aug 10, 2011

Don't know if LF_aligner works for macs. But all you need to do is separate the excel columns into two text files and ask aligner to make a tmx. Have done that and it works very well in Omega T.
Marina

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Marina Aug 10, 2011

I am no longer sure if what i am after is either a .tmx file or a OmegaT glossary file.

My Excel list of source/target (in 2 columns) is made up of 200+ simple expressions. Source cells are e.g.:

Coffee table
Chair covers
Cutlery
Single beds

No wordings are longer than 3 or 4 words.

Being a complete newbie in this game, i am not sure if the above wordings are to be considered as "segments" or as "glossary entries" - the latter
... See more
I am no longer sure if what i am after is either a .tmx file or a OmegaT glossary file.

My Excel list of source/target (in 2 columns) is made up of 200+ simple expressions. Source cells are e.g.:

Coffee table
Chair covers
Cutlery
Single beds

No wordings are longer than 3 or 4 words.

Being a complete newbie in this game, i am not sure if the above wordings are to be considered as "segments" or as "glossary entries" - the latter looking more likely to me.

The idea is to transform this Excel list into some type of memory that is immediately usable by OmegaT. I tried creating a txt or utf8 file, but no joy so far. And it must not be that hard if all one needs to do is to get the right kind of cvs delimited doc.

Only i did not find how to do it properly yet.

Since my project is fairly long (25k words), i decided not to bother and to let OmegaT populate its own memory while i am using it.

But if you have a solution for Mac, i'd be well chuffed.

Thanks!
Collapse

elm0505
elm0505
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
HTH Aug 18, 2011

Hi, this is what I have done and it worked for me:

I created a blank Excel file, input random terms and their translation in two columns. Clicked in "Save as", chose "Excel workbook". Then in "Save as type" I chose "Text (tab delimited)". I clicked on "Save". Then you get like two warning windows, I clicked "Yes" and "Accept" in both of them. I saved the file in the Glossary folder and it works fine.

Hope this helps!

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Elm0505 Aug 18, 2011

Tried it again, still no joy. I have checked the .text file, it is there, well delimited with tabs, but OmegaT does not take them into account.

I tried changing the extension to .tab but it does not work either. May be because i am using a Mac, not a PC?

Thanks for you help in any case.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You checked what? Aug 18, 2011

BabelOn-line wrote:

I have checked the .text file

A glossary file name extension must be .txt, not .text.

it is there, well delimited with tabs

And what about the text delimiter and the text encoding?

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One last go! Aug 18, 2011

I meant the .txt extension.

esperanto, to tell you the truth, i have tried to follow about 20 suggestions of all the forum users who kindly tried to help - including yours.

Depending who i trust, the glossary must be either .txt or .tab or even .utf8 according to OmegaT own manual.

I have tried half a dozen methods to create a readable file using Excel and OOo and TextEdit, with various types of formats, tabs, CSVs, flavours of text encoding – so i am
... See more
I meant the .txt extension.

esperanto, to tell you the truth, i have tried to follow about 20 suggestions of all the forum users who kindly tried to help - including yours.

Depending who i trust, the glossary must be either .txt or .tab or even .utf8 according to OmegaT own manual.

I have tried half a dozen methods to create a readable file using Excel and OOo and TextEdit, with various types of formats, tabs, CSVs, flavours of text encoding – so i am giving up now.

Last thing i will do is to post the Excel file with the glossary I am trying to use with OmegaT here: www.babelon-line.com/OmT_glossary.xls

If some kind soul can save this file in a format, any format that will work as an OmegaT version 2.3.0 glossary for me, well 1/ i'd be very, very thankful 2/ I'll grab the problem from the other end and look at what went wrong in the way i tried to format my file so far.

Thanks, y'all!
Collapse

elm0505
elm0505
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Aug 18, 2011

Hi BabelOn-line, let's try this one (we don't give up!)

Start translating a random text, create a glossary entry from the menu (I imply that OmegaT should be able to read a glossary created by itself), then open that file created in the Glossary folder and paste your glossary terms.

Nevertheless, I've trans
... See more
Hi BabelOn-line, let's try this one (we don't give up!)

Start translating a random text, create a glossary entry from the menu (I imply that OmegaT should be able to read a glossary created by itself), then open that file created in the Glossary folder and paste your glossary terms.

Nevertheless, I've transformed your glossary and it worked for me: http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/2826/testpic.png

You can download it here: http://tinyurl.com/3ub85aq

[Editado a las 2011-08-18 16:23 GMT]
Collapse

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works!, Thanks elm0505 Aug 18, 2011

I don't know how or why, but your file works! So a big thank you for this.

Only thing is, on my Mac, the glossary text file displays with garbled accented chars:

Baby toys Jouets bÈbÈ
Bookcases BibliothËques
Cabinets & sideboards …lÈments et buffets

So OmegaT replaces these characters with � in the Glossary pane.

But hey, it does not matter that much
... See more

Only thing is, on my Mac, the glossary text file displays with garbled accented chars:

Baby toys Jouets bÈbÈ
Bookcases BibliothËques

But hey, it does not matter that much anyway. I have my glossary. It is workable. I am a happy bunny.

Thanks again, elm0505
Collapse

elm0505
elm0505
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Aug 18, 2011

BabelOn-line wrote:

Baby toys Jouets bÈbÈ
Bookcases BibliothËques

Ouch, that must have something to do with the encoding. I don't quite understand how this works and I've never used a Mac either but I suggest you open the txt file and save it with different encodings (Unicode, UTF-8, etc.) Try which one suits you best.

I am a happy bunny.

I feel your joy, that happens to me everytime I find any new option or I solve a problem using Omega, I start clapping like crazy

BabelOn-line wrote:
Thanks again, elm0505

You're welcome, as I am normally the person asking for help I'm more than willing to return the favor by helping other people, it makes me happy

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
UTF-8 Aug 18, 2011

elm0505 wrote:
save it with different encodings (Unicode, UTF-8, etc.) Try which one suits you best.

Nothing to try. Just make it UTF-8 and you are on the safe side.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Step by step to creating a glossary from Excel file?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »