Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:52
Russian to English
+ ...
Jul 10, 2011

The following is flagrantly plagiarized by me from Didier Briel:

OmegaT standard version 2.3.0 has been released.

Following version 2.0.5, OmegaT 2.3.0 is the new standard version of OmegaT.

It comes with a new up to date English manual, rewritten in DocBook, to allow producing different documentation formats (currently available are HTML and PDF).

Compared with 2.0.5, 2.3.0 brings 79 enhancements and a large number of bug correct
... See more
The following is flagrantly plagiarized by me from Didier Briel:

Following version 2.0.5, OmegaT 2.3.0 is the new standard version of OmegaT.

It comes with a new up to date English manual, rewritten in DocBook, to allow producing different documentation formats (currently available are HTML and PDF).

Compared with 2.0.5, 2.3.0 brings 79 enhancements and a large number of bug corrections.

Significant improvements include (in ascending chronological order):
- match statistics,
- time stamped segments with author,
- a plugin system (three plugins are currently available),
- TransTips, which highlight, with a selectable popup, glossary words in the source segment,
- a language checker plugin provided by LanguageTool,
- automatic insertion of source tags,
- support for Lingvo DSL dictionaries,
- loading TMXs from nested folder, and automatic insertion of exact matches for selected TMXs,
- filtering search results in the Editor, with possibility to search on modification date and author,
- Apertium machine translation,
- possibility to search separately in the source and target segments,
- highlighting search results,
- aggregation of Open XML (MS Office "2007) tags,
- better handling of tags when reading non-OmegaT TMXs,
- visual identification of non-unique segment,
- a glossary term creation interface.

Two new glossary formats are accepted: CSV and TBX.

There are new file filters: Help & Manual, Typo3 LocManager and l10nmgr, Windows Resources (RC), DTD and Mozilla .properties, SVG images, Iceni Infix and Flash XML export.
Some additional filters are provided by a new Okapi plugin for OmegaT (http://www.opentag.com/okapi/wiki/index.php?title=Okapi_Filters_Plugin_for_OmegaT): Trados TagEditor TTX, Qt TS, JSON, InDesign IDML and Transifex projects, for a total of 31 file filters.
All the changes and bug fixes are detailed in changes.txt.
Compared with the latest version 2.2.3 update 4, there are 10 enhancements, such as allowing blank translations in PO files, enabling no prefix for fuzzy matches, and a new option to respect spaces in Open XML documents, and 6 bug fixes.

You can download the new version following the directions from
http://www.omegat.org/en/downloads.html
for standard versions.
Collapse

ezee
ezee
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:52
English to Italian
+ ...
OmegaT compatibility? Jul 10, 2011

OmegaT is fantastic.... but has the compatibility improved in this release?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
User Manual in PDF Jul 10, 2011

Susan Welsh wrote:

It would appear that the current PDF version of the user manual (which can be searched, unlike the internal help files in OmegaT) is also up to that latest version:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/omegat/OmegaT%20-%20Standard/OmegaT%202.3.0/OmegaT_documentation.PDF?r=http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/files/OmegaT%20-%20Standard/OmegaT%202.3.0/OmegaT_documentation.PDF/download&ts=1310314978&use_mirror=ovh

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
It depends Jul 11, 2011

Toni Ezeetranslations wrote:
OmegaT is fantastic.... but has the compatibility improved in this release?

It depends, compatibility with what?

If it is from a general point of view: yes, since more formats, for source documents, dictionaries and glossaries, are now supported.

If it is with Trados, yes, because there is now a TTX filter, limited support for SDLXLIFF, and the point "better handling of tags when reading non-OmegaT TMXs" means that, in some cases, matches from Trados will be closer to OmegaT's tags.

I recommend reading the OmegaT compatibility HowTo.

Didier

elm0505
elm0505
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
My 2 cents Jul 13, 2011

Hi everyone.

This amazing tool is getting better with every version. However there is just one only improvement I'd made to it: being able to open target and source files (or the project's folders) from OmegaT's interface.

That's just my two cents, for what it's worth

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Word 2003 (doc) support? Aug 8, 2011

Hi,
it has been some time that I haven't looked indepth at Omega-T. I'm happily surprised to see those many formats supported, especially Office 2007/2010; I deal with Word in 90% of my translations.
I will definitly take a deeper look at this new version, the new features are impressing, especially the tag insertion feature.

However I still have Office 2003 on my system. Will this be a problem? I'm reluctant to change to 2010 for now, and not only because of expenses.<
... See more
Hi,
it has been some time that I haven't looked indepth at Omega-T. I'm happily surprised to see those many formats supported, especially Office 2007/2010; I deal with Word in 90% of my translations.
I will definitly take a deeper look at this new version, the new features are impressing, especially the tag insertion feature.

However I still have Office 2003 on my system. Will this be a problem? I'm reluctant to change to 2010 for now, and not only because of expenses.
If .doc can not be directly imported, thanks to tell me a workaround!

Greets,
Mike
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:52
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
convert to OpenOffice Aug 8, 2011

As in the past, MS Word formats before 2007 should be converted to OpenOffice format (.odt) for use in OmegaT, and then converted back to .doc for delivery to the client. Open in OpenOffice (openoffice.org - free software), save as .odt, translate in OmegaT, open translated target file in OpenOffice, save as .doc.

Susan

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
no need for doc format support, because of doc > docx Aug 8, 2011

There was no need for doc format support, because of doc > docx conversion possibility with a MS conversion tool, downloadable from their site.

There is always a possibility to convert DOC into OpenDocument (odt), but this is not quite satisfactory solution due to impossibility of complete mirror conversion into OpenDocument format. This is a same problem with converting DOC>ODT in the latest MS Office, so there is no place for criticism of OOo/LibreOffice quality.

Do d
... See more
There was no need for doc format support, because of doc > docx conversion possibility with a MS conversion tool, downloadable from their site.

There is always a possibility to convert DOC into OpenDocument (odt), but this is not quite satisfactory solution due to impossibility of complete mirror conversion into OpenDocument format. This is a same problem with converting DOC>ODT in the latest MS Office, so there is no place for criticism of OOo/LibreOffice quality.

Do download the conversion tool and see how it works for you, Mike. Before purchasing a newest MS Office.

DK

MikeTrans wrote:

Hi,

However I still have Office 2003 on my system. Will this be a problem? I'm reluctant to change to 2010 for now, and not only because of expenses.
If .doc can not be directly imported, thanks to tell me a workaround!

Greets,
Mike
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Thanks... Aug 8, 2011

Hi Susan, Hello Dragomir,

my searches have linked me to a set of tools called "Rainbow" from Okapi Frameworks.
Can this also do to convert a doc to be handled by Omega-T ?

If not I will go the OpenOffice route.

Mike

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
[SOLVED] Doc <> Docx Aug 8, 2011

Hi,
I've now installed Microsoft's Compatibility tool for Office 2007. This allows me now to open/save docx and the newer Excel & PowerPoint.

Should have done this long before. Thanks again for you answers,
Mike

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT standard version 2.3.0 has been released

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »