Anders Dalström
Anders Dalström
Sweden
Local time: 00:56
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 7, 2011

I've just received a tm-file (English to Swedish, tmx-format, exported from Trados 2007) from the client and have added it to the tm-folder of the project. However, the fuzzy matches show up as a very long jumble of letters.

As an example: The first segment is the simple 'July 5, 2011', but the text in the 'Fuzzy matches' window is:

cf ptfs="c_Semibold">3 /cfcf flcl="o_ub" phzs="D_100" ligt="b_t" bshf="U_0" lncl="o_ue" pvts="D_100" plng="k_English: USA" nobk="b_f" undr
... See more
I've just received a tm-file (English to Swedish, tmx-format, exported from Trados 2007) from the client and have added it to the tm-folder of the project. However, the fuzzy matches show up as a very long jumble of letters.

As an example: The first segment is the simple 'July 5, 2011', but the text in the 'Fuzzy matches' window is:

cf ptfs="c_Semibold">3 /cfcf flcl="o_ub" phzs="D_100" ligt="b_t" bshf="U_0" lncl="o_ue" pvts="D_100" plng="k_English: USA" nobk="b_f" undr="b_f" font="c_Myriad Pro" Ofst="e_Dflt" posm="e_norm" strk="b_f" jcal="e_Jact" lint="D_-1" sovp="b_f" ovpr="b_f" pgsa="D_0" pgfa="D_0" pgsl="D_-1" pgfl="D_-1" pgss="x_2_U_0_U_0" pgst="x_2_U_0_U_0" pskw="D_0" OTor="b_f" OTfr="b_f" OTdl="b_f" OTti="b_f" OTPf="e_none" OTmk="b_t" OTlc="b_t" OTca="b_t" ulco="c_Text Color" ulgc="o_ue" upgo="b_f" ulgt="D_-1" ulos="U_-9999" ulop="b_f" ultt="D_-1" ulwt="U_-9999" ultp="o_di5a29" stco="c_Text Color" stgc="o_ue"

and it goes on...

This has never happened before. Does anyone know what the problem might be and how to rectify it? The interesting thing is that when I do a search on 'July' the entries in the TM are displayed correctly:

Swedish.tmx
-- July 2000
-- juli 2000
---------
Swedish.tmx
-- Jan 1 and July 1
-- 1 jan och 1 juli

Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks,
Anders

[Edited at 2011-07-07 14:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-07 14:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-07 14:33 GMT]
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Check Options > External TMXs Jul 7, 2011

Anders Dalstrom wrote:

cf ptfs="c_Semibold">3 /cfcf flcl="o_ub" phzs="D_100" ligt="b_t" bshf="U_0" lncl="o_ue" pvts="D_100" plng="k_English: USA" nobk="b_f" undr="b_f" font="c_Myriad Pro" Ofst="e_Dflt" posm="e_norm" strk="b_f" jcal="e_Jact" lint="D_-1" sovp="b_f" ovpr="b_f" pgsa="D_0" pgfa="D_0" pgsl="D_-1" pgfl="D_-1" pgss="x_2_U_0_U_0" pgst="x_2_U_0_U_0" pskw="D_0" OTor="b_f" OTfr="b_f" OTdl="b_f" OTti="b_f" OTPf="e_none" OTmk="b_t" OTlc="b_t" OTca="b_t" ulco="c_Text Color" ulgc="o_ue" upgo="b_f" ulgt="D_-1" ulos="U_-9999" ulop="b_f" ultt="D_-1" ulwt="U_-9999" ultp="o_di5a29" stco="c_Text Color" stgc="o_ue"

and it goes on...

This has never happened before. Does anyone know what the problem might be and how to rectify it?

Is Display Tags checked or not?

If it is checked, then try to uncheck it, to see whether it improves the situation.

I have seen cases where all the "jumble" was actually inside translatable text. In that case, there's not much that can be done.

Didier

Anders Dalström
Anders Dalström
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No luck, I'm afraid Jul 7, 2011

Thanks Didier. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference. I still find it odd that the strings are displayed correctly when I search for the terms.

Anders

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Search and TM matches are different Jul 7, 2011

Anders Dalstrom wrote:
Unfortunately it didn't make any difference. I still find it odd that the strings are displayed correctly when I search for the terms.

There are differences between the way search and TM matches are handled.

I seem to remember having seen such behaviour (but I am not sure).

This forum is not the best place to analyse what's wrong, if only because the way HTML/XML characters are processed/converted by the forum software.

I recommend subscribing to the Yahoo user group, where it would be possible to check more in details what happens.

Didier

Anders Dalström
Anders Dalström
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks anyway Jul 8, 2011

Didier,

Luckily this is only a small project (700 words) so I'll manage anyway and the fact that it's possible to search the TM means I can find the words I'm struggling with. Thanks anyway.

Anders

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

TM-file providing weird fuzzy matches

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »