Converting Translated .xls files into .tmx
Thread poster: Olaf Erikson
Jun 29, 2011

Hey, I just downloaded the latest version of OmegaT+ with the hopes that I could use it to convert my Microsoft Excel files into .tmx files. The Excel files are formatted such that the source language segments (english) are in one column and the target language segments (dari) are in the second. All the translation work is done, so it just needs to be formatted into .tmx. I figure there has to be a better way to go about doing this than separating all the source segments into a new file, opening... See more
Hey, I just downloaded the latest version of OmegaT+ with the hopes that I could use it to convert my Microsoft Excel files into .tmx files. The Excel files are formatted such that the source language segments (english) are in one column and the target language segments (dari) are in the second. All the translation work is done, so it just needs to be formatted into .tmx. I figure there has to be a better way to go about doing this than separating all the source segments into a new file, opening it with Omega and manually copying and pasting the target segments in as the translation. I considered trying to use the Glossary function but could never get any files to be found in the directory despite a thorough read of the thread regarding Glossaries. Please tell me there is some simple and or automated way of handling this and that I won't have to align 10K segments all over again in a new program just to get .xls files into .tmx!

Thanks!
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:22
Russian to English
+ ...
wrong software Jun 29, 2011

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that OmegaT+ is not the same software as OmegaT. It is a split-off of some sort. If you want OmegaT, which is the subject of this forum, you can download it from:
http://www.omegat.org/en/downloads.html

If you want to know how to do something in OmegaT+, I understand they have a Yahoo user group.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:22
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
convert Jun 29, 2011

two-column XLS into tab-delimited TXT, open the TXT in Apsic Xbench and export to TMX.

Otherwise, your question sounds like "I have a spoon. How can I uncork the bottle?"
For some things, there are special tools.

[Редактировалось 2011-06-29 23:08 GMT]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:22
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Windows only Jun 30, 2011

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

two-column XLS into tab-delimited TXT, open the TXT in Apsic Xbench and export to TMX.

This is Windows-only solution. A universal one is using, for example, one of the Python scripts in aligner package that can be found in the respective section of the OmegaT group in Yahoo!

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:22
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Just use the correct tool for the job Jun 30, 2011

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/3194/1/Converting-translation-memories-into-spreadsheets-and-vice-versa

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Converting Translated .xls files into .tmx

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »